Mays just got about impossible for TEAM transfer

7,975 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Matsui
motamir
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The requirements for TEAM transfer to Mays just cranked up from a 3.5/3.0 in core/overall to 3.8/3.8 GPA which is about impossible, or at least highly unlikely for me. I accepted TEAM over UTD, Tech, and Baylor because I felt like I could do a 3.5/3.0 but now I feel like I got gut punched. I want to go to TAMU.

What majors are similar- AgEcon? I know nothing about that major and I'm a city boy. Any advice? I'm not sure I should go to TAMU now...
histag10
AG
Agbusiness.

regular Economics is in the Liberal Arts College, not Mays.
powerbelly
AG
Agbusiness isn't in Mays either.
histag10
AG
powerbelly51 said:

Agbusiness isn't in Mays either.

He asked for alt. majors. I suggested agbusiness

he suggested ag econ, which would lead me to believe he thought economics was in Mays, as ag Econ would be the "alternative" to econ
powerbelly
AG
What do you want to do?

There are other avenues into the business world without a business degree.

Duncan Idaho
Sorry about that I thought I was on the general board
Duncan Idaho
Serious answer.

Since you are asking which majors are the same as an entire college, you might want to do some soul searching and figure out what you want to do.

Accounting, finance, marketing, management, info, are all very different majors and have very different career paths.

Also remeber that most of the superstars in business outside of marketing and accounting are actually engineers or other non-business majors who went on to get an MBA.
histag10
AG
There is also Industrial Distribution and Ag Systems Management. I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I can think of that have somewhat of a path to business.
motamir
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not sure what I want to do yet, but the most interesting area to me is business. I was thinking after the first couple of years I will have a better idea since it's really like a survey of the different areas such as accounting, econ and MIS and I'll select my path then. If I can't get into Mays, I was looking for something that would get me close, like pure Econ or AgEcon.
JustPanda
AG
You are illustrating exactly the type of transfer student Mays is trying to get away from admitting. They want transfer students that come in with their feet ready to move in a specific direction. In their mind, it isn't their responsibility to show you a smattering of each degree plan. You are a transfer student. You should know by know why you want to pursue a business degree, and have the pre-recs to immediately begin down that winnowed plan. They let sophomores and freshman take the broad based curriculum because they are in the process of figuring out what they want to do. As a xfer student, you don't get that luxury. If you come in thinking that will be the way it goes, you will be sorely mistaken, too.
Diyala Nick
AG
I bet you're thrilling at parties.

OP, consider Economics, it sets you up well for a variety of career fields.
not1cuckaroo
I majored in Finance because it was in the business school. If I could do it over, I would major in something I enjoyed (like Econ) and then do a MS in Finance. Mays now has one-year MS degrees for General Business, Accounting, Finance, HR, Information Systems, Marketing, and Real Estate. These degrees are one-year, very-intensive degrees that get you ready for very good entry level jobs.

I now work in banking. For example, a MSF would let you compete with senior Finance majors for banking analyst training programs and the major corporate development programs that recruit at A&M. The MS Accounting would prepare you for the CPA and let you recruit for the Big 4 like KPMG, PWC, etc. I'm sure the other MS degrees place just as well or even better than the undergraduate Mays degrees.
JustPanda
AG
I did the ms at Mays and MBA. Mays offers a 5 year ms in some programs and a 1 ywar ms in others (finc). All are very well ranked.
not1cuckaroo
I'm sure I could get specifics from the MBA office. But in your personal experience, was the MBA on-campus recruiting strong for your field? Generally, did having the MS coupled with the MBA help in any way?
Prescient
Economics majors from A&M get higher starting salaries than Mays grads do.......Econ is in the College of Liberal Arts. Ag Econ is another option, and has a strength in entrepreneurship. Some of our most successful Aggies are Ag Econ grads. Mays is overrated.
94chem
Quote:

Mays is overrated.
That opinion needs qualifiers. The real problem is that people think an undergraduate business degree is worth something, when it's not, or at least not what 19 year olds are expecting from it. STEM grads are much more ready to learn about business on the job than Business graduates. Is it because they took harder courses in college, or because they're just brighter to begin with? I don't know.
Al Bula
AG
I agree that Mays is overrated, and I have a degree from Mays. However it is a tough place to get into for a reason.

Good real life situation to learn now while in college: You don't always get what you want due to external factors.

If you are a problem solver and a hard worker the degree is not as important.
JustPanda
AG
I'm not saying I agree with it. I'm just passing along the attitude of the departments with TEAM students. They want students to come in knowing what path they intend to pursue.
TexasAggie89
If you HAVE to have a BBA, go to Tech (Rawls) and major in their new Supply Chain Management program while the program is still small... right now would be perfect timing as there still less than 100 students in the class of 2018 I think.... they are losing the Thomases, which sucks, but there are still some good professors there

That program is most definitely NOT overrated

TexasAggie89
RPM said:

I agree that Mays is overrated, and I have a degree from Mays. However it is a tough place to get into for a reason.

Good real life situation to learn now while in college: You don't always get what you want due to external factors.

If you are a problem solver and a hard worker the degree is not as important.

I'd agree with this, but it helps to have a diploma that shows you did SOMETHING at least semi-technical and analytical if you're not STEM

ID and ECON would be excellent choices outside the business school
coyote68
Business education is a great thing, but not necessary. You can always hire an accountant or banker, but leadership skills are far more important for success. I was Animal Science and ran a very, very large construction operation which eventually led to an IPO. This cowboy did many trips to Wall Street. Actually, most investment banks are located in mid-town.
VanZandt92
What's TEAM?
Captain Pablo
AG
VanZandt92 said:

What's TEAM?

Blinn Team?
powerbelly
AG
VanZandt92 said:

What's TEAM?
Blinn team. The minimum for admission into Mays was raised because anyone with a pulse can pull a 3.5/3.0 at a community college. If you could get a 3.0 at A&M and a 4.0 at blinn you were in.
brotheraggie
Mays is a tough college to get into.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Details about Blinn TEAM can be seen at http://blinnteam.tamu.edu/
StringerBell
AG
take a look at human resource development in the college of ed
Matsui
AG
TO he op what exactly is business to you?

And fellow ag Econ here. Go that route or ag business
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.