Should I transfer into Mays?

2,115 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aglaes
aggiewhoop1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 3.57 in economics, and will probably have a 3.7 after this semester. I have all the requirements to get into Mays. I am a sophomore, and will be going into my junior year next fall. The problem is, I will have 21 out of 33 credit hours of economics taken after this summer. Is it too late? I thought I wanted to go to law school, but I'm becoming interested in finance. I really wanted to graduate in 4 years. I also could just graduate with a high GPA in econ, and go a joint mba/jd program somewhere. But that will take around 4 years. I also could say screw it and try to double major since I've already gotten way passed an econ minor. Thoughts?
powerbelly
AG
If you are interested in finance, then there are programs like Aggies on Wall Street that require you to be a finance major.

aggiewhoop1
AG
That literally did not answer my question whatsoever
powerbelly
AG
aggiewhoop1 said:

That literally did not answer my question whatsoever
You asked for thoughts. I gave you something to consider in regards to transferring to Mays or staying in Econ.

If you want to participate in Aggies on Wall Street or several other finance focused programs, you have to be in Mays.

You can work in finance with an Econ degree, but the road may be more difficult. I know the MS finance degree is a popular option for those willing to stay for a fifth year.
Token
AG
you don't need a finance degree to get into finance. Hell, 90% of the investment bankers majored in some liberal arts study. You'll just have to network a little harder because you're coming from A&M, which is not at all perceived to be a finance school by a lot of wall street guys. I would work my ass off to work at an investment bank, take the GMAT while you are in school, and then apply to an MBA program after 2-3 years at the bank
powerbelly
AG
Token said:

you don't need a finance degree to get into finance. Hell, 90% of the investment bankers majored in some liberal arts study. You'll just have to network a little harder. I would work my ass off to work at an investment bank, take the GMAT while you are in school, and then apply to an MBA program after 2-3 years at the bank
Do you have stats for this? I am not doubting just curious.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

I would work my ass off to work at an investment bank, take the GMAT while you are in school, and then apply to an MBA program after 2-3 years at the bank
Great advice.
Token
AG
powerbelly51 said:

Token said:

you don't need a finance degree to get into finance. Hell, 90% of the investment bankers majored in some liberal arts study. You'll just have to network a little harder. I would work my ass off to work at an investment bank, take the GMAT while you are in school, and then apply to an MBA program after 2-3 years at the bank

most investment bankers at the big banks come from the ivy leagues, where, aside from Penn, you can't major in business so they just come through as liberal arts folks and get taught all the stuff at the 6-8 week boot camp
powerbelly
AG
Token said:

powerbelly51 said:

Token said:

most investment bankers at the big banks come from the ivy leagues, where, aside from Penn, you can't major in business so they just come through as liberal arts folks and get taught all the stuff at the 6-8 week boot camp
I agree with this. I was just curious if there was some study. Most bankers I know were Ivy league econ guys.
aglaes
AG
My son is a Jr Econ major now. He completed his Fr yr at A&M Corpus, then his Soph yr at College Station. Has only made 1 B in 5 semesters. He applied for Mays last year, but he had one little problem - they require that you have no more than 60 hrs total - he had 62 hrs or was going to have 62 at the end of the semester in which he applied. Because of that, he had to try to get in via the appeal process. He got turned down - we believe because of the 2 hrs over their limit. His A&M GPA at the end of soph year was 3.9 and his overall GPA including A&M Corpus was 3.95.

If you want to try to change majors and get into Mays, I hope you will have 60 hrs or less total credit hrs at the completion of this semester - or I wouldn't bother. If you have hrs outside of A&M that you have not transferred yet, that would put you over 60, hold off on transferring those hours until after you've been accepted into Mays.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.