Should I go to A&M or stay at my current school?

1,683 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TAMUAdmissions
ProspectiveAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy, I'm currently a student at Texas Tech, and I'm interested in transferring to Texas A&M for the upcoming fall semester. I'd like to apply to Mays, but I don't have 24 completed hours as of now, and I still have to take both introductory accounting courses and COMM 203 to complete the 8 courses on the course transfer sheet. So instead, I'm applying to the economics major since I've already completed micro, macro, calc 1 and calc 2 with a 4.0. Since I can't later transfer to the Mays school if I accept economics admission (and the college of liberal arts seems adamant about discouraging transfers), I'm considering going to Blinn for a year to get the rest of the core curriculum and business pre-reqs out of the way. However, if I chose to do this it'd really suck because I wouldn't be an A&M student, and I'd probably make a lot less friends. So, would y'all advise that I spend a year at Blinn and then apply to Mays, accept economics admission, or stay at Tech for another year?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Mays will consider any courses in progress as incomplete because they will not be finished by March 1. In addition, 24 completed, graded, transferable hours by March 1 are required by Admissions. You will want to decide how much you want to be an Economics major. In addition, think about how you would feel over a one year period and compare that to your long-term career goals. A high GPA and completion of the courses from their course sheet is what most academic departments focus on for transfer applicants. For Mays, preference is given to applicants ready to join Mays' junior class upon arrival at Texas A&M. In addition, Mays says applicants need a grade of 'A' in most courses to be competitive.

You also can call an admissions counselor at 979-458-0950.
ProspectiveAggie
Also, just to be clear, a degree in Agribusiness is not considered to be a major in the business school, correct? For instance, if I accepted admission into agribusiness, it's my understanding that I wouldn't be able to transfer into a major such as supply chain management.
TAMUAdmissions
AG

The agribusiness degree at Texas A&M is jointly administered between the Department of Agricultural Economics and Mays Business School. You can research the program in depth on-line at A&M's web site. Applying for the major you truly want is the best option. Changing later is not guaranteed and can be difficult. You also can call an admissions counselor at 979-458-0950.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.