Is BS in University Studies Business Concentration a good degree?

5,673 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Desert Ag
SusieAggie88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You get to choose 2 minors from outside of the Business school, such as Entrepreneurship and Coaching, or whatever your interests are...
...and on the 8th day God created football...and He said It is very good!
Duncan Idaho
What is a university studies degree?
OnlyForNow
AG
General studies. It's an undeclared major.
agmom95
AG
University Studies Leadership Studies (USAL) is a degree in the college of agriculture that allows you to get your bachelors in Leadershio studies with two minors of your choosing. Sounds like the same thing? We were told it is a real degree and not general studies.
Al Bula
AG
SusieAggie88 said:

You get to choose 2 minors from outside of the Business school, such as Entrepreneurship and Coaching, or whatever your interests are...
1. Are you or your family independently wealthy?
2. Are you a student athlete with professional sports-level abilities?
3. Are you highly charming and charismatic?

If you answered 'NO' to any of these three questions, the University Studies (scam) degree is not right for you.
powerbelly
AG
RPM said:

SusieAggie88 said:

If you answered 'NO' to any of these three questions, the University Studies (scam) degree is not right for you.
EOT.
agnerd
AG
powerbelly51 said:

RPM said:

SusieAggie88 said:

EOT.
Agreed. University studies is for people that already know what they're doing after college and the existing majors don't cover your needs. It's for people that need knowledge more than they need a degree. For instance, a person that will need to run their parent's small software company after school and needs classes in programming and business, but won't ever have to get hired by someone else.
double b
AG
Unfortunately, for the many who pursue this route, they are doing so for the wrong reasons. The University Studies degree is comprised of mostly students who cannot gain entry to their top 2 - 3 major of choices and have to enter this one for the need to graduate.
Desert Ag
AG
double b said:

Unfortunately, for the many who pursue this route, they are doing so for the wrong reasons. The University Studies degree is comprised of mostly students who cannot gain entry to their top 2 - 3 major of choices and have to enter this one for the need to graduate.
It's all in how you spin it. Used to be a complete backdoor degree as in the case of my middle son class of '12. Fortunately after a couple of stepping stone jobs, he's now a financial analyst at Lockheed.

Now since you have to declare a major day one (general studies no longer exists), UStud is a good option for those wanting to play the field while deciding. Also might me a good alternative for someone looking to get an MBA or go to law school and wants to get a more generally rounded degree than a traditional undergrad business degree.

This may be sacrilegious, but as a guy with a BBA Finance and M.S. Finance from A&M, I think that apart from finance and accounting classes where you actually learn something practical, most of the business classes in a BBA program are a waste.
Desert Ag
AG
SusieAggie88 said:

SusieAggie88, see my post above. In addition to my class of '12 son, I have a class of '18 son in the corps who, when he received his acceptance to A&M, did not have the option to elect a major in the business school since they were all filled (not that he wanted to anyway). He's definitely not a math or science guy, but in lieu of a pure liberal arts degree, he's in the USBN program with communications and philosophy minors.

Just remember most of our education comes after college...
Token
AG
Desert Ag said:

double b said:

It's all in how you spin it. Used to be a complete backdoor degree as in the case of my middle son class of '12. Fortunately after a couple of stepping stone jobs, he's now a financial analyst at Lockheed.

Now since you have to declare a major day one (general studies no longer exists), UStud is a good option for those wanting to play the field while deciding. Also might me a good alternative for someone looking to get an MBA or go to law school and wants to get a more generally rounded degree than a traditional undergrad business degree.

This may be sacrilegious, but as a guy with a BBA Finance and M.S. Finance from A&M, I think that apart from finance and accounting classes where you actually learn something practical, most of the business classes in a BBA program are a waste.
preach
NewOldAg
AG
As I'm applying for law school, I can say that if you're able to get a high 3.whatver, it would be worth it. Only if you're expecting to continue your education or you really don't need a useful degree.
Desert Ag
AG
Token said:

Desert Ag said:

double b said:

preach
Also why I went for the M.S. Finance. It was a 36 hour program where I took 18 hrs of finance and 21 hrs of accounting in a degree plan that I basically designed (extra 3 hrs so I could sit for the CPA exam).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.