Choice of engineering major?

3,024 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TheMasterplan
xMusashix
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My co-worker was saying his daughter is applying to A&M and he is being told some strange things about the process.

Specifically that after 2 years the university makes the division in which major your in. Does that sound right? For instance someone might try for mechanical but after two years you might be continuing in civil?

How does this process really work?
Sentinel
AG
I believe students can start the process after 2 semesters. It's pretty similar to how admissions used to be except now students have to complete their freshman year first. You apply, rank your choices, then you're placed in a major based on space and other academic requirements.
Sentinel
AG
Here's some more info.

https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major
xMusashix
AG
Thank you for the link.

I had no idea about this.
Beaudreau
A&M's process has changed for the better. First, top-10% admits are no longer guaranteed admission into engineering. In the past, a large number of the automatic admits would choose engineering for a major even if they did not have the test scores or high school classes to ensure first-year success. These admissions kept out more qualified students. Now top-10% admits are guaranteed university admission, but like all admitted students must go through a separate holistic review to be admitted into engineering. This should significantly raise the profile of admitted engineering students.

Freshmen are admitted into general engineering. Beginning in their second semester, they may begin applying for a major, ranking their choices. All students who meet the minimum threshold are guaranteed admission to a major, but a few may not get into the most popular majors. Still, about 90% get into their first-choice majors.

Engineering Dean Banks came from Purdue. This process is quite similar to Purdue's.
elnaco
AG
Thank God they didn't do that when I was in school, but it sounds like a much better approach
GarlandAg2012
AG
It's a pretty recent change.
alabamaaggie12
AG
I think 2014 is the first year they did it; my daughter was an incoming freshman that year and it seems like I heard that was the first year for them to do it that way.
TheMasterplan
elnaco said:

Thank God they didn't do that when I was in school, but it sounds like a much better approach
Based on the link it looks like all but very few got their first choice.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.