A&M's MBA Program #18 in Business Week's 2016 Ranking

9,823 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Madaman
Token
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
foleyt said:

Token said:

Finished Applications to: MIT, HBS, Wharton, Duke, Kellogg, UCLA, Tuck, Rice and Michigan. I'll let y'all know in March/April how it goes

Do you mind sharing your GPA and GMAT?
3.45 (accounting major, also completed requirements for biomedical engineering "minor") /690. Quant was "low" by top school standards, but i took the exam 5 times, so i am not going to bother taking it again to get a 700
Buck Compton
AG
Token said:

foleyt said:

Token said:

Finished Applications to: MIT, HBS, Wharton, Duke, Kellogg, UCLA, Tuck, Rice and Michigan. I'll let y'all know in March/April how it goes

Do you mind sharing your GPA and GMAT?
3.45 (accounting major, also completed requirements for biomedical engineering "minor") /690. Quant was "low" by top school standards, but i took the exam 5 times, so i am not going to bother taking it again to get a 700
Best of luck. While I didn't have quite as many years of experience and brought zero diversity when I applied, my 750 and 3.38 (Finance) got bounced from Harvard and Stanford and waitlisted with Duke. Ended up getting into Booth, UNC, and A&M (the only other three I applied to).
Token
AG
Jesus, 750 and bounced from HBS and GSB? They are nuts for not at least bringing you in for interview.

I'm not really expecting to hear from HBS on interview, but I'm hoping I get an interview at Wharton
Buck Compton
AG
Token said:

Jesus, 750 and bounced from HBS and GSB? They are nuts for not at least bringing you in for interview.

I'm not really expecting to hear from HBS on interview, but I'm hoping I get an interview at Wharton
I should have been more strategic in which schools I applied to. Stanford is practically impossible to get into these days. These schools are very scientific about this now - their demographics and key statistics are mandated with few to no exceptions. 10 years ago I probably would have gotten into both of them. It is what it is.

I worked alongside people from these schools during my internship and still got the offer over them, just had to work a bit harder to get my foot in the door. In the end, I still got the exact position I was targeting (which my whole reason for going back to school), so all is well that ends well.
Transplant352
I thought I could add something to this discussion. I just went through the tough process of choosing between these two programs for my MBA. Note - I did not go to UT or TAMU for undergrad. I went to a Big 12 school that hated both schools equally on the field and moved to Dallas after graduation, so I'm a full time resident (which is included in the cost analysis).

My "stats", as they say in the MBA admissions world, were good. Small Firm Consultant for 5.5 years at matriculation (3 years as a PM), graduated Top 20% of my class, GMAT 700. I wanted to stay in Texas both during and after my MBA program, so I didn't bother with other big names schools. I was entirely focused on the best MBA in Texas for me.

I was admitted to both Mays and McCombs, with scholarships to both (Mays gave me double what McCombs did per semester). I didn't bother applying to Rice - I had about average stats for Rice, and average scholarship was 50%, which would be more expensive than an unfunded Mays/McCombs for me.

The way McCombs treated me while recruiting was kind of haughty "We expect you'll choose us" whereas Mays was quite welcoming, helpful, and useful in answering my questions.

I view it the same way I view dating a girl. The way these schools treat you while trying to recruit you is how they'll treat you after you're gone. Mays was a better culture fit, I just clicked with the students, the teachers, the adcom, and the vibe.

Since I'm not trying to go IB/MBB - I value having a life outside of work, though I'll work hard - There was no inherent salary advantage for McCombs over Mays from what I could find.

Back to cost - the Mays program finishes a semester earlier. That's 6 months quicker into the workforce. At the salaries levels (and ability to have a full year for performance bonuses) of post MBA, that's nearly the entirety of tuition for the whole McCombs program added to my opportunity cost.

So I chose Mays. I start in the Fall. It's going to be fun.
Buck Compton
AG
Transplant352 said:

I just went through the tough process of choosing between these two programs for my MBA. Note - I did not go to UT or TAMU for undergrad. I went to a Big 12 school that hated both schools equally on the field and moved to Dallas after graduation, so I'm a full time resident (which is included in the cost analysis).

I was admitted to both Mays and McCombs, with scholarships to both (Mays gave me double what McCombs did per semester). I didn't bother applying to Rice - I had about average stats for Rice, and average scholarship was 50%, which would be more expensive than an unfunded Mays/McCombs for me.

The way McCombs treated me while recruiting was kind of haughty "We expect you'll choose us" whereas Mays was quite welcoming, helpful, and useful in answering my questions.

I view it the same way I view dating a girl. The way these schools treat you while trying to recruit you is how they'll treat you after you're gone. Mays was a better culture fit, I just clicked with the students, the teachers, the adcom, and the vibe.

Since I'm not trying to go IB/MBB - I value having a life outside of work, though I'll work hard - There was no inherent salary advantage for McCombs over Mays from what I could find.

Back to cost - the Mays program finishes a semester earlier. That's 6 months quicker into the workforce. At the salaries levels (and ability to have a full year for performance bonuses) of post MBA, that's nearly the entirety of tuition for the whole McCombs program added to my opportunity cost.

So I chose Mays. I start in the Fall. It's going to be fun.
As a Mays MBA graduate, I went through much of the same thought process (and chose Mays over Booth). I got the same job that I would have targeted out of Booth, so I saved a ton of money in the process (but had to work a bit harder to network and get there).

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Let me know when you have the e-mail so I can remove it.
McCoveysCove
How good is a Duke undergraduate degree and a Masters from Fuqua? Also how would you rate the alumni base at Duke? Thanks
Buck Compton
AG
donyvon said:

How good is a Duke undergraduate degree and a Masters from Fuqua? Also how would you rate the alumni base at Duke? Thanks
Duke is a great school.

Depends on the masters (there's more than just MBA). Generally you don't get a masters from the same school.
Token
AG
Duke is an exceptional school and you'd definitely have an awesome network behind you at Fuqua

Update as promised:

Got dinged at HBS this morning (not too mad, it's a crapshoot)
Got interview invite from Rice and Ross
Interviewed already at Tuck, Kellogg, Fuqua

Waiting to hear from MIT, Wharton and UCLA
Ridge14
Token said:

Duke is an exceptional school and you'd definitely have an awesome network behind you at Fuqua

Update as promised:

Got dinged at HBS this morning (not too mad, it's a crapshoot)
Got interview invite from Rice and Ross
Interviewed already at Tuck, Kellogg, Fuqua

Waiting to hear from MIT, Wharton and UCLA

Nice, seems like you'll have a solid shot at getting into a few great schools.
dallasag12
AG
So after some serious consideration with respect to my current employer, job position, and desired career outcome, an online MBA from one of the top choices (UNC, Tepper, or Indiana) has started to look like a really good idea. Can you guys shed some insight to those three schools and their reputations?
Diggity
AG
If you're looking to stay at your current company and just want a "checkbox", it could be a good plan.

What do those programs run these days?
blingard
AG
dallasag12 said:

So after some serious consideration with respect to my current employer, job position, and desired career outcome, an online MBA from one of the top choices (UNC, Tepper, or Indiana) has started to look like a really good idea. Can you guys shed some insight to those three schools and their reputations?
Just look at the US News On-Line MBA rankings. All are solid schools, and as an FYI, I have taken graduate business classes (in person) at both Carnegie Mellon and Indiana. And for what it's worth, I was more impressed by the business school professors at Carnegie Mellon than Indiana. ...But that data point is from 2000-02.

You can't go wrong with the on-line program at any one of these schools.

http://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/mba

Token
AG
dallasag12 said:

If you can, i would also consider doing Kellogg's part time program where you'd fly to campus.
dallasag12
AG
I looked into Kellogg's as well as Booth's weekend programs. Both looked intriguing, but I don't live in a city that has a non-stop to Chicago, so the travel would start to get old after about the 5th or 6th weekend I think. All-in-all, I think the UNC or Tepper program is where I am headed.
Token
AG
Update: Got an MIT invite today (I still can't believe it), got dinged at Wharton, and am still waiting for UCLA.

Next week should be fun since Tuck starts notifying acceptances at the end of the week and the remaining schools are the following weeks
Ridge14
Transplant352
Token said:

Update: Got an MIT invite today (I still can't believe it), got dinged at Wharton, and am still waiting for UCLA.

Next week should be fun since Tuck starts notifying acceptances at the end of the week and the remaining schools are the following weeks
Congrats man! You're still in that nerve-wracking stage. Hope it all works out!
Token
AG
Got a full ride tuition offer from Tuck today. Aside from maybe MIT miraculously giving me a big scholarship, I think there's a great chance i end up in New Hampshire even though i haven't heard from any of the other schools
Ridge14
Token said:

Got a full ride tuition offer from Tuck today. Aside from maybe MIT miraculously giving me a big scholarship, I think there's a great chance i end up in New Hampshire even though i haven't heard from any of the other schools

Wow, congrats man, that's awesome.
Duncan Idaho
That's awesome
hangman
Wow Token. Congrats. I wish I would have pulled the trigger on Tuck and applied. I started my essay but didn't think I had a shot. Engineering 3.0 gpa 700 GMAT. Rejected from Duke and McCombs where I thought I had a good shot. Now I'm interviewing in Round 3 at some 25-50 ranked schools the next few weeks which I should have a good shot at. I never considered that the northeastern schools might love southerners.
Token
AG
in an absolute last minute stunner, MIT accepted me off the waitlist with huge scholarship , even though I had already accepted the Tuck offer. Time to think
Ridge14
Token said:

in an absolute last minute stunner, MIT accepted me off the waitlist with huge scholarship , even though I had already accepted the Tuck offer. Time to think
Wow

Congrats on Sloan - hoping I don't have any regrets not shooting higher
Duncan Idaho
Token said:

I honestly don't think there is much to think about
Ridge14
Pretty sure it was your post that I saw on clearadmit.

I think the amount of money stated in scholarship difference on the post sounds like a lot, but I think being in Boston coupled with the MIT opportunities/network/name could definitely more than make up for it. I know what I'd do if I were in your shoes, unless you're in love with Hanover or something.

Token
AG
yep, negotiated with them on the scholarship, so off to sloan
Ridge14
Token said:

yep, negotiated with them on the scholarship, so off to sloan
Impressive

Good luck
bus_driver05
AG
Any advice out there on in-state (Texas) online MBA programs?
Duncan Idaho
Your life is gonna change
Madaman
i was gonna wait a year, but just tossed my hat in the Mays ring. Hope i can get an interview and maybe get accepted. They apparently still have openings left.

UT-Dallas has a good reputation for online MBA. I've done alot of research and really thought hard about applying there. I just wanted more of a traditional MBA experience (I also want a complete career change, not a checkbox).
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.