Going to college in my 30s

2,546 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TAMUAdmissions
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in the very early stages of deciding to go to college and I'm looking for some guidance. I want to start at Blinn and do as much as I can there then transfer into A&M to complete a degree in Computer Science. Ideally I'd like to get the whole thing done in 3 years since I'm already in my mid-30s, I don't need to drag this out any long than it needs to be.

I don't really know where to start though. Will Blinn already know what courses I can take that will count towards a computer science degree at A&M? Or can A&M give me a list of courses and indicate which ones I can take at Blinn?

It seems like Blinn doesn't really have night classes, is that true?

I took the SAT like 17 years ago, will I have to retake it? I hear lots of talk about "new" SAT scores.

The whole idea is a bit scary, I've already dropped out of college once and I certainly don't want to do it a second time. So I want to be as prepared as possible going into it this time. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
histag10
AG
Blinn advisors should have a good idea of what you need to take (will your old courses still count, or will you be a fresh start candidate?- is that still a thing? Admissions, please help)

You could also sit down with an A&M advisor in the comp sci department to discuss the best course for you. Dont know if Blinn has night classes or not, but have you considered online? Its definitely different, and in some ways requires more focus and drive, but it can be a great option for non traditional students who are working full time and still going to school.

Best of luck to you!
redd38
AG
I only did 1 semester the first time, so not many classes to consider, but I think I would start fresh. It was so long ago that I don't even know if I'd be allowed to use those credits, but it was also so long ago that I need to re-learn that material anyway, at least in the math and comp sci classes I took. Don't even remember the other classes I took.

Does Blinn do online courses? I'd definitely be interested in that I think. I'd prefer a more traditional, classroom route but it would be easier financially if I could do some online while keeping my current job.

Will advisors meet with me even if I'm not enrolled? Or even accepted yet?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
A list of what we would need for domestic transfer applicants can be seen at http://admissions.tamu.edu/transfer/apply. The academic dept. will focus on two things: a high GPA and whether you have completed the courses required at http://admissions.tamu.edu/transfer/majors. Details on Fresh Start can be seen at the bottom of this link: http://admissions.tamu.edu/other/readmit.

You also can call an admissions counselor at 979-458-0950 either for advice or to set up an appointment.
redd38
AG
I applied to Blinn and Texas A&M, however it seems A&M needs my SAT score by Dec 1st and since it's so old College Board said it'll take like 6 weeks to get to the school. So can I get that date extended somehow, or am I just automatically out of the running for A&M?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
You indicated you had already dropped out of college once so you would no longer be considered a freshman if you have any college credit after high school. As a result, we do not need SAT scores. Please review the links above again for transfer applicants (see the definition there of a transfer) to see everything we need and when to apply. Also note there how to contact an admissions counselor.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
You can also review details on Academic Fresh Start at http://admissions.tamu.edu/other/readmit. As indicated, you do have to have all required documents in our office by the deadline for that to work. You can ask about having SAT scores rushed to A&M. Please contact an admissions counselor at 979-458-0950 before trying to go the Academic Fresh Start route.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.