Is there an online database for scholarly research?

2,122 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Kugelfang52
Lord_TyTy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm having to write an argumentative essay for POLS, using credible academic sources to back up my argument, but searching on Google and trying to filter through all of the unresearched amateur think pieces isn't cutting it. Suggestions?
histag10
AG
You have access to some pretty awesome databases through the library website

http://library.tamu.edu/search/databases.html

JSTOR and EBSCO are what I typically used in college.

What year are you? It makes me really sad if you are farther in college than a freshman and no one showed you these before. They were my biggest go to for research besides sitting on the 5th and 6th floors of Evans with a crazy amount of books and sticky tabs.
UndergroundAg
Google Scholar hoe!
Lord_TyTy
I am a Freshman...I'm in an Honors course.
histag10
AG
Lord_TyTy said:

I am a Freshman...I'm in an Honors course.

That makes me not quite as sad, though any professor teaching a freshman course and wanting research should have directed you to this area of the library's website.
Koko Chingo
AG
Make an appointment with a reference librarian at the Evans Library. Your major/college will have a specific one assigned.

The search function for journals via the library website is not as intuitive as Google. They will give you some amazing tips to be very efficient in your searches. Additionally, they will give you a cheat sheet of the most popular journals used by your major and the subject matter covered.

Make sure to ask about RefWorks or other citation managers. I use RefWorks and it save so much time. When you find an article you like, you click a button and it imports the citation into a database. There is a plug-in for word too. When you write your paper you click a button and it inserts your citation in text. When you are finished click another button and your bibliography is inserted.

The meetings usually last about 30-45 minutes and will save you time over your studies.

https://library.tamu.edu/services/subject_librarians.html

CrottyKid
AG
Scholar.google.com
aunuwyn08
AG
I'm a political scientist. If a&m has access to ISI Web of Science I recommend that. Also I could point you in the direction of articles or journals if you can say more about your topic.

Beaudreau
My son thought the reference librarian was incredibly helpful for his senior history paper.
Kugelfang52
JStor is my go to, but Ebsco is alright as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.