Economics vs Business vs History Majors

4,664 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by blingard
AmericanAg1776
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy, I'm an upcoming senior and am currently applying to A&M. I'm within the top 5%, and I have a reasonable idea of what my future holds. I am very interested in going into law school post graduation, but I want to have a solid major in the event that does not take place. Because of this, I have narrowed my choices down to Economics, Business Management, and to a lesser extent, History. If I were to pursue the Economics degree, then I could attain a Masters in Public Service and Economics with just an extra year of study. However, Business management has a BBA concentration on "pre-law." In addition, History, which is one of my favorite subjects, is always an option, although I realize that it would not land me a job as effectively as others if on its own. I am also likely to join the Corps of Cadets and may take a commission after my graduation. As you can see, I am in a conundrum, and I would appreciate any help you could provide. Thanks in advance.
Diyala Nick
AG
Major in either Finance or Economics. Either one will serve you well regardless of your future profession.
Duncan Idaho
History and management are terrible options if you are trying to hedge against not getting in to law school.

The data is out there. If you want a major for a backup plan find the intersection of job placement rate, salary, law school acceptance rate and personal interest. (Assuming you arent looking at IP law or some other specialty that requires a specific major)

histag10
AG
I would say political science over history. I have a degree in history, and while I absolutely loved my course work and really enjoyed the content, it wasn't money well spent at A&M. If I had it to do all over, I would have stuck with Political Science, or gone into Engineering, or pursued History at a liberal arts school (CoC, Colgate, BC, etc).
Token
AG
If you want to major in history, go to an ivy league school. you can major in janitorial studies and get to an investment bank due to the prestige they have. At A&M, do finance, accounting, economics or engineering. It'll provide you an excellent backup
Duncan Idaho
quote:
If you want to major in history, go to an ivy league school. you can major in janitorial studies and get to an investment bank due to the prestige they have. At A&M, do finance, accounting, economics or engineering. It'll provide you an excellent backup

What he said
The Dog Lord
AG
Speak with different law schools about what they are looking for. Political Science may not be the best option to make yourself standout to them. If you choose a degree with electives, you can likely take classes in a variety of areas so that you diversify your knowledge and skills for multiple outcomes.
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:

This post is right on the money, figuratively and literally.
John Francis Donaghy
If you want to go to law school, get an engineering degree, or a BS in a hard science field, and make yourself eligible to sit for the patent bar. Your job prospects and pay grade upon entering the legal market will be much greater than your history/polisci/business major major classmates.

If those subjects are totally out of the question for you, then do business, and get a solid foundation in entrepreneurial finance, because there is a high likelihood that you'll need to go solo after law school, at least for a while, until you make a name for yourself and build your resume enough to be an attractive candidate for a firm. Having that financial knowledge will make your life much easier.
ag009
AG
Agree with everyone above. I was a history major and loved it...but I knew that I wanted to teach it at the secondary level 100%. If you don't want to teach or go into graduate studies...just not a smart investment of your time and money.

If you love learning, minor in it or just take history classes as electives. There are some amazing classes and professors that will better your understanding of the world. But if law school is your goal with a solid backup undergrad...I would go econ.
Zemira
AG
No advise on which degree path you should choose.

Most people I know that have a CPA and a law degree practice in the tax realm. So I wouldn't choose accounting unless you love tax.
powerbelly
AG
quote:
No advise on which degree path you should choose.

Most people I know that have a CPA and a law degree practice in the tax realm. So I wouldn't choose accounting unless you love tax.
You can be an accounting major and not have a CPA. Many business litigators have an accounting background but no CPA.
Texker
AG
I took the Finance path but considered changing to Econ a number of times because the subject clicked.
champagnepapi
Do what you enjoy mate. If you plan on going military then plan on not actually using your hard skills learned unless you are a doctor, vet, jag officer or chaplain.

I graduated from mays business school but then the army trained me how to take men into combat and kill! Infantry. I love my job.
aTm2004
AG
Major in economics and minor in history. After you hit your upper level econ classes and really understand supply & demand and banking, take a long hard look at law school.
AggieMavsfan
AG
IMO, unless you're a national merit scholar and can reasonably expect to get a T14 worthy lsat score, forget about law school. You can be making 6 figures in today's money with a finance degree by age 30 if you play your cards right.
Post removed:
by user
Madaman
how the heck does an engineer make 210/year? are you in a specialized field? not really an engineer? overseas?
blingard
AG
$210K as an engineer... I guess I should have never left Texas with an MBA from A&M! The streets are paved with gold down there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.