Does anyone know the 2016-2017 Acceptance rate?

6,631 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Prescient
P-Dex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Online it says that the acceptance rate is about 70%. I find this hard to believe.
I know this topic has been brought up before but I am an incoming freshman and would like to know the actual rate for this year.

(NSC Counselors all said ~10,000 of 40,000 applicants were accepted) not sure how accurate this is because each counselor had different numbers.
Lone Stranger
The jargon terms are important so you don't compare apples and oranges. A&M's acceptance rate has varied from approx 64-70% over the last 5 years or so. About (not precise) half of those accepted do not actually enroll. I think I remember an avg of 47% enrollment compared to acceptance except for the year after JFF won the Heisman when the number spiked up. Many A&M accepts are waiting on ivies, Rice, or significant scholarship offers at private schools to ultimately decide where they want to go.

Sometimes you hear people quote numbers with Blinn Team admits (a pretty big number anymore) and sometimes not so the actual enrollment numbers can swing pretty wildly from person to person quoting numbers. A&M considers Blinn Team as full admits but also tracks the numbers without Blinn Team so both numbers can sometimes show up in peoples calculations.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Probably too high
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
Probably too high
definitely too high.
Oogway
As the above poster referenced, I believe the terms you are looking for are: applied, admitted and enrolled, correct?

These numbers are for Fall 2015, I think that the numbers for 2016 don't really become finalized until September?

Fall 2015
Applied: 38,705
Admitted: 24,686
Enrolled: 12,196

So, if you use the word 'accepted' for enrolled, then 10,000 for 2016 would be lower (which would surprise me) but they may have been rounding...
Pro Sandy
AG
quote:
quote:
Probably too high
definitely too high.
Why?
The Collective
AG
Looking at those raw #s, I'm not sure how you fix it. You have to reduce admitted, but you would probably reduce enrolled with it (assuming the most sub par students are accepting enrollment). The truth is we probably need to offer more scholarship $, so there isn't as large of a delta between admitted and enrolled. Good luck with that.
P-Dex
Although I did get in with the 10% Rule, I just would like to know that I am part of a small group (low acceptance rate). I think it just looks bad for an acceptance rate to be that high.
Lone Stranger
Under the current top 10% rule from the legislature, if A&M were to accept less students the incoming avg SAT scores would plummet. Many ratings of incoming students to a school look at both but the SAT number tends to be more reflective in most peoples minds. The legislature says A&M has to take ANY top 10% kid as long as they can get the admission forms filled out correctly. There are top 10% kids from all over with poor SAT scores dragging the SAT avg down. To keep the SAT avg at least mildly reasonable, the acceptance rate has to be fairly high. I think two years ago top 10% was 60% of the incoming acceptance. There are a lot of top 10% kids with crappy SAT scores that wouldn't be here if the rule was eliminated or the number reduced to top 7%. By law A&M must take those kids before they can take a kid in the top 11-25% with a 1280 SAT from a competitive high school. If you don't want to think about how the math works, just consider that incoming Blinn Team students (the 4th priority of students admitted) has a higher SAT avg than the incoming A&M freshman class as a whole because the top 10% group drags the entire class avg down so much.

Another way to look at it? Because of top 10%, to keep the SAT avg from falling below 1200, for every 1000 SAT that gets in as top 10% admit, A&M must take two 1300 SAT students to offset.

Pro Sandy
AG
quote:
I think it just looks bad for an acceptance rate to be that high.
why?
classof2017mom
Do we know of the accepted rate what percent is Auto/Academic admit versus Review Admit?
Cable0790
AG
Aggiebound tweeted the 2016 numbers last week.
"Why don't you make 10 one louder?...This one goes to 11"
histag10
AG
I'm betting they dont have the numbers for 2017 yet, considering the deadline for applications to be submitted is open until October 15th.
histag10
AG
it says 50% admitted from the top 10%. Arent top 10% auto admits, meaning 100% of top 10% were admitted?
Lone Stranger
histag....turn that around. 50% of the overall admitted pool were top 10% and had to be accepted. That would mean about 11,000 of the overall 22,000 admitted were top 10%.
histag10
AG
quote:
histag....turn that around. 50% of the overall admitted pool were top 10% and had to be accepted. That would mean about 11,000 of the overall 22,000 admitted were top 10%.

Haha I see that now. I was hyped up on cough meds and benadryl when I posted earlier.
AggieGirl701
From what I understand from the admissions department, A&M sends out around 20,000 acceptance letters to fill about 10,000 spots. Roughly half of the people who get accepted actually commit to enroll. If you have the 1360 new SAT score or are in the top 10%, A&M gives you a spot as a priority over holistic review students, even if you applied on December 1 which was the closing date for fall 2017. I applied on Nov 30 and I am an academic admit. I'm also a homeschooler, but I took the SAT twice and got a 1370. Hope this helps!
brotheraggie
The school has gotten too big.
DeepEastTxAg
AG
I understand hating the top 10% rule. It does make our average SAT/ACT scores go down. But I was in the top 10% of my high school and graduated salutatorian. However, my test scores weren't hat great because I knew I had already done more than enough to get in. I saw no point in spending the significant amount of money and time into a prep class or self-study. Does this mean that I wasn't a qualified student? No. My college GPA was enough for honors. And I had several other tests that I did well in such as AP tests, because I needed to make a high score. I would be willing to bet that most of the top 10% students are very qualified, but have low scores simply because they don't need to do well, not because they are incapable of a high score.
Aston04
AG
And that sums up the issue... We have some top 10 percent kids virtually not even trying on the SAT because of guaranteed admission. The admission system should be reformed to give sufficient incentive for kids to do their best on it, so our university is given a statistically-fair comparison with peer schools. As is, the current system pummels our academic standing, as evidence by the last 15 years.
DeepEastTxAg
AG
Aston04 said:

And that sums up the issue... We have some top 10 percent kids virtually not even trying on the SAT because of guaranteed admission. The admission system should be reformed to give sufficient incentive for kids to do their best on it, so our university is given a statistically-fair comparison with peer schools. As is, the current system pummels our academic standing, as evidence by the last 15 years.

True. However, I think this also suggests that the SAT is not worth the stock we put in to it. It's a test that is coached. A lot of the time, it doesn't accurately show the strengths of the candidate. I personally think that the method by which we rank schools should be changed. Who cares what we take in? Who cares if we take in students with high SAY scores? In my opinion, what matters much more than the students we admit are those we graduate. Why not alter to the ranking system to reflect what graduates do after they leave A&M? That's the point of college anyway. To get a degree and do something with it.
SEC Ags
AG
DeepEastTxAg said:

Aston04 said:

True. However, I think this also suggests that the SAT is not worth the stock we put in to it. It's a test that is coached. A lot of the time, it doesn't accurately show the strengths of the candidate. I personally think that the method by which we rank schools should be changed. Who cares what we take in? Who cares if we take in students with high SAY scores? In my opinion, what matters much more than the students we admit are those we graduate. Why not alter to the ranking system to reflect what graduates do after they leave A&M? That's the point of college anyway. To get a degree and do something with it.

To me the SAT is a better predictor than top 10%. I met some really dumb people while in school who graduated top 5% or better in their school in middle of nowhere Texas.
LoveAussie
AG
DeepEastTxAg said:

Aston04 said:

I think SAT cannot fully reflect a person's capability, the math part is way too easy, anyone get below 700 out of 800 should rethink their path if they decide to pursue an engineering or science major. I still remembered my first day at A&M, there's someone at my Calculus 1 class never heard of sinusoidal equation before, I don't know how he can survive all the differential equations/integral in Calculus 1/2/3, linear algebra and later all the 400 level major courses. And there're many other very smart kids I met in honor class and the professors were able to cover whole bunch of topics outside our scope coz everybody apprehend really fast.

Now all the mainstream media talk about how bad the current test-orientated system is, and all the teachers comment on FB said it is not fair to use test scores of students to judge their performance, though I think common core is a joke, there should be a way to judge if a person is well-prepared for college or not.
Ridge14
LoveAussie said:

DeepEastTxAg said:

Aston04 said:

anyone get below 700 out of 800 should rethink their path if they decide to pursue an engineering or science major.
For potential students reading, completely disagree. If you are dedicated and want to do engineering and have a "low" test score - don't let it hold you back. I didn't do SAT test prep and I scored below 700 on SAT math. My roommate also scored below 700 on SAT math. Neither of us took AP calculus, physics, etc. in highschool.

We both graduated magna cum laude in engineering, just missing summa cum laude (myself by less than 0.03 points).

In my opinion, SAT doesn't measure: intelligence, learning ability, work ethic.
LoveAussie
AG
Ridge14 said:

LoveAussie said:

DeepEastTxAg said:

Aston04 said:

anyone get below 700 out of 800 should rethink their path if they decide to pursue an engineering or science major.
For potential students reading, completely disagree. If you are dedicated and want to do engineering and have a "low" test score - don't let it hold you back. I didn't do SAT test prep and I scored below 700 on SAT math. My roommate also scored below 700 on SAT math. Neither of us took AP calculus, physics, etc. in highschool.

We both graduated magna cum laude in engineering, just missing summa cum laude (myself by less than 0.03 points).

In my opinion, SAT doesn't measure: intelligence, learning ability, work ethic.

When we talk about a large population, there will always be exceptions, but exceptions cannot define the average. There're many articles writen in their own interest trying to interpret the SAT scores' correlation with lots of stuff, but I think language is vague, so here're the diagram for SAT's relationship with first year's or later year's GPA & retention rate.

http://highered.colorado.gov/Academics/Groups/AdmissionTransferReview/meetings/handouts/20130111_SAT_Validity_Summary.pdf

http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED563105.pdf

Also, I never say people with lower SAT score will never succeed in engineering, I said they need to rethink their future curriculum/career plan, is that because other reasons hold them back (like previous post said the 10% rule grant admission people don't have intention to do good on SAT), or they tried their best but cannot do good on math.

SAT in my opinion measures how well a student is prepared for college, has nothing to do with intelligence, learning ability or work ethics, as I said it is just a simple/fundamental test, I still remembered the first question for my test is 1+1/x=2, what is the value of x? And they even gave choices... But a normal college engineering test would be like this, clearly see the difference, right?

https://engineering.purdue.edu/~mikedz/ee301/Exam1SP2017.pdf

Recently I had a chat with an Aggie friend who worked in education field in another country, she asked me if I know A&M ranks lower and lower every year on US News, I got shocked and went back to do some research on how US News rank the universities. Some factors like class size definitely favor small size private schools and give A&M negative impact, others like admitted average SAT scores & retention rate also don't give A&M enough justice compared to other public schools. Now UC Berkeley has more than 20% of out of state students, if it is also required to admit top 10% from all California schools, will it hold its rank? I don't think so. One can always argue that the current ranking methodology used by US News is flawed blah blah blah, but in the game, play by the rules. A high ranking and good international reputation can help a school recruit more qualified professors, get more funding, and therefore attract more students.

FYI, here's the GRE data published by department's webpage, A&M's graduate program is very selective and competitive!

"The department does not have a minimum requirement on standardized test scores however successful applicants typically have very competitive scores. Average scores for graduate students entering the ECE department in Fall 2015 were: Quantitative 166/170, Verbal 151/170, Writing 3.3/6.0. New scoring format."
Prescient
Pro Sandy said:

Quote:

I think it just looks bad for an acceptance rate to be that high.
why?
It does look bad for the various rating folks out there, particularly the US News and World Report. The reason is because it implies that A&M isn't selective, that it will let "anyone" in. While that's not true, that's the perception. The "elite" universities only offers to those who will accept. As a land grant institution, our calling is not to be "elite", though the quality of the education received at A&M is equal to or greater than that offered at many of the "elite" universities. Our admission rate and our average class size is what prevents us from moving up in the US News rankings. It's a really stupid system.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.