Question about scholarships at A&M

3,786 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FlyingSquirrel20
GenericAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My daughter is class of 2017.
Class rank = 17%
1370 on SAT (newer version)
31 on ACT

What are the chances of receiving any academic scholarship $$$ ?

Zip 88
I have a family member that will be a freshman this fall.

Top 3%, Summa Cum Laude
33 on ACT
1980 on SAT
Accepted into Honor's Program and Engineering at A&M and Tech

A&M offered zero.
Tech offered around $28,000
vin1041
AG
What the poster said above, same scenario with my son, money from Tech and Baylor but not A&M. I think they offer money to National Merit Scholars?
GenericAggie
AG
Thank you for the responses.
light_bulb
AG
It is very difficult to get any scholarship money from A&M if you are not a National Merit Scholar.

Also, A&M allows students to re-apply for scholarships every year. From my experience, I know very few people who ever received a university scholarship after enrolling. While my experience at A&M doesn't provide a large sample size, seeing people with 4.0's and extracurriculars get nothing every year tells me that the only people who should have any expectation of any money are National Merit.

For better or for worse, that is just the way it is.
double b
AG
Contact me and I can tell with about 90-95% certainty of her chances. I had a lot influence and access to data for how their metrics were developed.

You can find my contact info in my profile.
TexasAggie73
AG
My daughter, class of 2011, graduated with a 3.999. She made one B at A&M. She got about $1000 a semester. Now she wasn't a first generation student or come from one of the under served high schools. She did receive a full ride to grad school for her masters and Ph.D. at UT - D.
SwigAg11
AG
I would look into external scholarships for your daughter as well. I received a full ride sophomore through senior year with professional scholarships offered in my field.
Ranger1743
Ranger1743
AG
Very low chance IMO. National Merit is everything. Knew a girl with a 2380/2400 SAT that got nothing.
Sixers_Fan
AG
A&M offered my scholarship that gave in state tuition very late in the summer (like August 19th before freshman year if I remember). They like to reward students for doing well at school with the continuing student scholarships and some departments offer more money than others (PETE department gave out around 100 schollys last year but don't quote me on that stat).

EDIT: I was a 4.3 student (4.3 scale with honors and AP bonus) with a 35 ACT and 2 800s on SAT IIs <--- take those for more scholarship chances- and I came from a pretty prestigious school district in the Philly area. Most of the scholarships that you may be offered will require a VERY high GPA to keep them.
AgHoop
AG
Are you a minority

Yes=scholarship
No= student loans
Bayou City
When I was at A&M, business students could get the Mitte Scholarship. It was awesome, but went defunct my junior year. National Merit was great and also gave you the Presidents or Lechner scholarship.

I disagree 100% on the poster that said A&M doesn't provided scholarships to non-minorities. I collected around $7,500/semester between NMSF, Presidents, Mitte, and the rest.
aggie2013lc
AG
quote:
Are you a minority

Yes=scholarship
No= student loans

That is untrue. My sister graduated as Salutatorian and is an URM -- TAMU only offered her loans!

OP, my suggestion would be to apply to as many outside scholarships as she can. Applications are very demanding and time consuming, but definitely worth it in the end. Good luck!

FlyingSquirrel20
If she joins the Corps she might be looking at some scholarship money.

Other then that its pretty hard.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.