Question for Parents/TAMUAdmissions

9,797 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Prescient
agmom95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is he going to take the PSA offer or go somewhere else?
agmom95
AG
accidental double post.
stuffmd
He is set on attending A&M and is seriously considering accepting PSA offer as it guarantees admission after 2 semesters if you meet minimum GPA requirements. We met with an admissions adviser to discuss PSA and other options. He is also considering enrolling in Blinn and trying to transfer to A&M, but it requires going thru the application process again, might take more than 2 semesters, and there is no guarantee you get accepted to your desired major.
agmom95
AG
We are in same situation. Just received PSA yesterday. Trying to decide if PTA at Blinn is a better option. Have you toured any of the system schools?

What's his major?
Prexys Moon
AG
is PSA where they ship your ass to a branch school for a year? Do you get to choose where you go?
stuffmd
He applied as an Econ major, but that is not offered as a PSA degree choice, so if accepting he will have to choose a different major. We looked at Corpus and that's probably where he will go if he chooses PSA. He also applied to TAMU Galveston as soon as he learned of the PSA offer. He was accepted today. It is not a PSA choice, but considered a branch of the College Station campus. Like Blinn Team, you are considered an Aggie and can attend football games and other campus events. You do not have to reapply for College Station, but can transition by changing your major to a degree offered on College Station campus. I'm not sure how easy it is to change to your desired major after one year.
agmom95
AG
That's right. You have a few degree options from all colleges excluding Engineering and Business. You take 24 hours from a pre-selected plan and have to make a 3.25. Then you are in at A&M. There are some other rules, but that is the basic idea.

Most kids get all options of system schools. Occasionally you might not have a certain school on the list due to other factors.
agmom95
AG
I know we need to go meet with an admissions person. Did you feel it was helpful?
Prescient
1Aggie99 said:

More wondering than an actual question...

My wife and I are both Aggies and would love for our kids to have the opportunity to attend TAMU if they so choose. They are still young so not worried about GPAs or test scores at this point. I'm just curious and hoping to learn from others mistakes or experiences.

Parents - What would you do differently from an academics stand point? Our kids will attend a good public HS or we could opt to go the private HS route. Do you think there is an advantage or does it come down to grades either way? Is there anything you wish you would have done prior to HS?

TAMUAdmissions - What jumps out at you? Assuming they want to go to TAMU and have the grades and test scores, what separates them if they happen to miss out on the top 7% or so. I'm assuming top 10% won't be enough when the time rolls around. Do you consider things like legacy at all?

Just curious in general... we have friends with older kids and continue to hear how hard it is to get accepted and assume that will not get any better.

Thanks in advance.
My advice, and I've got two in now, one finished, and one hopeful high school freshman, is to encourage them to become "automatic" admits. That's either to be in the top 10% or be in the top quarter and have an SAT (math and verbal - the essay is irrelevant) of 1360 (I think that's the new level) or a 30 on the ACT with at least a 27 in math and 27 in english. My kids had no chance of finishing in the top 10% as they attend an incredibly competitive high school. All of them finished in the top 15% and achieved the necessary scores. Relying on being a review candidate is nerve wracking, for both prospective students and parents.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.