Horizons Program

8,955 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by DallasAg2
Travisw101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm a student at Mays and i'm thinking about applying for the Horizons program. What are the benefits of the program? What's the difference in Horizons and the i-bank program? How competitive is it? Any info is appreciated.
Duncan Idaho
For the olds....what is the program?
Travisw101
^ It's a program that I assume is run by alumni rather than through the school, with two guilds, consulting and investment banking. It seems similar to the i-bank program in that it helps you land a job and internship.
Ag13
AG
The difference is Horizon's is not an academic thing. They put in the I-Bank program after I graduated but when I was in school, it seemed like 90% of the people (from Mays) that ended up doing banking went through Horizons. I was in it and it will give you great access to networking and help you prepare for the interviews and the entire process of banking or consulting. Even if you are just thinking about doing either of those careers I recommend applying.

If you are set on doing investment banking, there should be no reason that you aren't doing the i-bank program. You are allowed to do both that and Horizons.

Good luck, check out Business Fellows, Titans, and the Tanner fund also. The most successful young professional people I knew from college did some combination of Fellows, Titans, Tanner, and Horizons.
stonana
AG
All I know is that I run A&M for my bulge bracket bank in Houston and 99% of the people we interview come from Horizons. If you tell me you are in the I-banking program but not in Horizons then I assume you either couldn't get into Horizons or you weren't serious enough to know that you should apply for Horizons. Most people also do Fellows and Titans, but I believe both of those would come after you should already have an i-banking internship lined up
Fightin03
The Investment Banking Program exclusively targets New York. From what I understand Horizons is great for Houston/Dallas.
stonana
AG
If it really is just targeting New York, then that just seems a bit flawed. Why would you not also target Houston? The oil and gas groups are some of the most active groups in any bank. Plus the odds of an Aggie being successful in New York recruiting are much lower than in Houston. On top of that, the culture at banks in Houston generally fits better with Aggies than New York.
Fightin03
You're absolutely right and a lot of the students do go to Houston for O&G banking. I'm actually working with the dept head now and the mission of the AOWS program is to place students specifically in NY and expand our presence there. They won't come to us to recruit so the trip helps to get students in front of them. Historically only a few each year will land those jobs.
Ag13
AG
quote:
The Investment Banking Program exclusively targets New York. From what I understand Horizons is great for Houston/Dallas.
quote:
You're absolutely right and a lot of the students do go to Houston for O&G banking. I'm actually working with the dept head now and the mission of the AOWS program is to place students specifically in NY and expand our presence there. They won't come to us to recruit so the trip helps to get students in front of them. Historically only a few each year will land those jobs.

AOWS =/= I-Banking Program

Does the I-Banking Program seriously on target New York? Like I said it was put in after I graduated, but that seems extremely limited.
Fightin03
AOWS recently merged with the Investment Banking Program, so they are now the same and you need to be in the program to go on the trip. Although, last year some exceptions had to be made. Now there is an Investment Banking Seminar that is taught in the spring which coincides with the "AOWS class" which also starts in the spring. The trip to NY caps off the AOWS class. I hope that makes sense. The program is changing and being re-branded to better align with the 20-yr old Aggies on Wall Street brand.
Ag13
AG
quote:
AOWS recently merged with the Investment Banking Program, so they are now the same and you need to be in the program to go on the trip. Although, last year some exceptions had to be made. Now there is an Investment Banking Seminar that is taught in the spring which coincides with the "AOWS class" which also starts in the spring. The trip to NY caps off the AOWS class. I hope that makes sense. The program is changing and being re-branded to better align with the 20-yr old Aggies on Wall Street brand.
Interesting change, thanks for explaining. Do all I-Banking students go on the trip or is it still based on application?
Fightin03
Ideally all Investment banking students would go, however last year we had 3 drop the class and did not make the trip. That's why exceptions were made so that we had a full 12 go.
stonana
AG
This is good information to know. I did not realize they merged. I still think AOWS should also target Houston because if the message to them is that it targets NY, I feel like a lot less will be successful and may not realize how relevant O&G in Houston really is.
Fightin03
There are certainly aspects about the program that are relevant regardless of location; ie Bloomberg cert, wall Streep prep course, resume help, etc. The semester long class is filled with guest speakers flying in from NY to administer case studies. I think they just want students who are at least open to the thought of working in NY.
DallasAg2
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.