TEAB?

8,187 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Oresowy
parnecr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can anyone tell me how many students were selected for the new Texas Engineering Academy Blinn (TEAB) program?
dcull7
My son was also offered Engineering Blinn team. We are not sure how we feel about it as he wants nothing but Aerospace Engineering and this program does not guarantee a transfer into your program of choice. Doing some research, asking questions and weighing other options at this point.
parnecr
Unfortunately, there are never any guarantees... Whether engineering, business or anything else. You have to put in your time and put out what you are capable of.
dcull7
Good point..thanks. FYI: Just spoke to an admissions counselor that said as long as blinn students stay competitive, the chances are very good to get into program desired and have an advantage over transfers from other schools. Also if you are concerned about on campus living, he mentioned that if you have made it on the waiting list this early that chances are good for something to open up.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Since it is a brand new program, there will only be about 250 TEAB students this fall. They plan to expand it in the future, but will start small.

The big advantage it gives students is the ability to take the Engineering courses they need to make an ultimate transition into the COE. As parnecr mentioned, there is never a guarantee, but this program will position students perfectly to make a successful transition.

I'm glad to hear y'all are weighing the options. As I've mentioned on the main admissions thread, I encourage you to ask your students what's more important, being an Engineer or being an Aggie?

Let me know if I can be of further assistance!

Jon Buchanan '99
Assistant Director of Admissions
Aggieland Prospective Student Center
jon.buchanan at tamu dot edu

Tel. 979.458.0950
http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2230552&forum_id=17

[This message has been edited by TAMUAdmissions (edited 2/21/2014 11:37a).]
dcull7
Thank you Jon! Appreciate the info on TEAB.
parnecr
Thanks, Jon. He has always wanted to be an Aggie as I went to A&M and his sister is there. 250 is small enrollment, but the individual attention will be much better than when I was there in the early 80s.
lilelmo
Will AP credits count towards Blinn hours? Also, is this program a part of Blinn TEAM or something separate? On my AIS page it says I've been accepted to TEAB, but when I click to accept my offer, it says I've been admitted to Blinn TEAM.

[This message has been edited by lilelmo (edited 2/21/2014 6:47p).]
TAMUAdmissions
AG
lilelmo --

TEAB is a subset of Blinn TEAM, so it will follow the same guidelines as the TEAM program. Any AP or dual credit hours you bring in prior to enrolling in TEAB will count toward the 45 Blinn hours you need to satisfy the program requirements.

I worked with a student a few years ago who brought in 27 hours of dual credit. He finished 18 hours at Blinn the first year and 15 TAMU hours during the first year and the summer after his first year. He satisfied the full Blinn TEAM requirements in 1 year instead of 2.
lilelmo
Ok, thank you. I still just don't see the value in paying full out-of-state tuition for community college though. My heart was set on being an Aggie and I don't feel that I'm truly going to be one if I have to take most of my classes at another college.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
lilelmo --

That's actually one of the benefits of TEAB; it saves you an incredible amount of money. TEAB students pay TAMU tuition for their TAMU courses and Blinn tuition for their Blinn courses. It equals out to roughly half of what a full-time TAMU student pays. In fact, we have thousands of fully admitted TAMU students who choose to take some classes at Blinn each semester for that very reason. I did that when I was a student at TAMU because I was trying to put myself through school.

In addition, you'll have 100% access to everything at TAMU including meal plans, recreation center, sports pass, etc. In other words, you are an Aggie. TEAB is an offer of admission to Texas A&M University made by Texas A&M University. It is NOT an offer of admission made by Blinn College.

I do understand where you're coming from. TEAB is a great option but it's not the best for everyone. Utimately, I want you to do what's best for you.

[This message has been edited by TAMUAdmissions (edited 2/22/2014 1:59p).]
lilelmo
Thank you so much for all this information. On AIS my college is still listed as CoE, so does this mean TEAB students are still technically in the CoE?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Technically, your major will be listed as TEAB which falls under our Transition Academic Programs department (used to be called General Studies). However, the TEAB is sponsored by the COE and you will have access to advisors in that college.
oldschool87
AG
Your major does not matter really till your Junior year. Go To Blinn, make your 4.0 and transfer in. All classes count towards your major.

Nobody is in a major there first 1.5 to 2 years.

English, math, psych, history, Poly sci, government, are requirements for all.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
quote:
English, math, psych, history, Poly sci, government, are requirements for all.

This is not entirely accurate. All students are required to take the following courses regardless of major:

ENGL 104
HIST 105 & 106
POLS 206 & 207

Outside of those, your major (or intended major) determines which Math, Science and other electives you need. TAMU is structured so that the core curriculum is not university-wide but based on your major.
BoxerCXXIX
Harvey Tucker slingin' words in POLS. Forget which one, though. Too much beer since then.
Oresowy
I know I am 7 years late but I hope you see this. I am in the same boat for blinn, did your son choose blinn and did he get into aerospace?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.