Mays change of curriculum (internal transfer)

5,906 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Jack Pearson
c47v3770
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone here transfered internally into Mays?
I really want to major in MIS. I'm currently in GEST but not sure if I will make it.

Care to share your experience?

[This message has been edited by c47v3770 (edited 12/12/2010 1:05p).]
MisterJones
AG
I'm doing it in January. The way things look now I should get in no sweat. I'll let you know how it goes in a month...
Saxsoon
AG
I transferred into the lower level earlier this semester, and am going into SUP next semester. It was a pain, but once you get in it is all smooth sailing.

I had a lot of issues in that I am from El Paso and you can only transfer in person at Mays and I had to wait until math 141 was posted. I was already back home. But finally got that crap through and I have enjoyed it since.

[This message has been edited by Marsuvees (edited 12/13/2010 12:03a).]
c47v3770
Thanks for sharing.

I'm a bit concerned about my chances.
I will have a a 3.084 cumulative and a 3.1 CBK GPA, which meet the requirements. But I will be about 9 hours over the max. amount (75 including transfer credits) when I apply at the end of spring.

So I'm going to have to appeal...which sucks.

The only classes that I won't have completed when I apply will be ACCT 230 and COMM 203. I'm planning on taking them in the summer if I do get in..

I've been told that as long as you have a 3.0 cumulative and CBK GPA, you are in. Hopefully that's the case..

[This message has been edited by c47v3770 (edited 12/13/2010 3:04a).]
nnichols
Usually the hour limit is fairly concrete. When you consider the fact your over the hour limit by a considerable margin and still 6 hours off the requirements, I wouldn't be shocked if the appeal gets denied. Not trying to be negative Nancy, but the requirements are fairly concrete and exceptions are made, but not in large amounts, especially the hour cap.
AggieMavsfan
AG
I know someone that got an appeal granted with a 2.94. Write a strong letter stating your case.
Saxsoon
AG
My teammate in BUSN 205 failed the first appeal, went on a semester to get his GPA up and got strong recommendations from his profs. They noticed how willing he was getting into Mays and they approved it the second time. Granted this was GPA, not hours. You might be able to appeal on the basis of the transfer hours. I am not sure if those count towards that limit or not.
nnichols
Transfer hours count in full. State requirements for SAP make goa much more flexible than the hours cap. The hours cap is quite stringent. While they exist, they are very rare without extenuating circumstances or conditions. Probably on the 10% range.
c47v3770
You would think that having less than a 3.0 cumulative would decrease your chances of admission more than being over the hour cap.

The only reason I will be over 75 is because I need three more As to raise my cumulative to a 3.1

I will go ahead and apply at the end of Spring, work hard on the letter of appeal and hope for the best..

[This message has been edited by c47v3770 (edited 12/14/2010 3:12a).]
BigPuma
AG
best thing to do is go talk to the MIS academic adviser and definitely Dr. Jasperson
antman8504
AG
I transferred into Mays from General Studies back in 2006. I graduated with an MIS degree in 2008.

What helped me was knowing that I wanted to get into Mays from the beginning, therefore helping me to understand all the requirements. Which at the time were 3.25 GPA overall, 3.0 CBKs and under 75 hours. I did meet all the requirements, but barely, so I didn't have to appeal. I know what hurts a lot of people is learning the requirements way to late in their college career and then not being able to meet them without going way over the hour limit. I did have one friend that appealed and got in. She didn't have the 3.0 in CBKs, but she was really close. So on the appeal they let her in.

There was a time when I wasn't sure if I was going to make the requirements. So I talked to an adviser and he told me that I could get into to Industrial Distribution if I didn't get into Mays. He said I wouldn't lose any credits as all the business classes would go towards a minor.

Hope that helps. Best of Luck!!!
c47v3770
antman8504, thanks for sharing!

By the end of Spring 2011, I will have:

3.0 CBK
3.024 Cumulative
83 Hours total: 43 transfer, 34 A&M hours and 6 Blinn Hours

The reason I'm 8 hours over is because I transferred some AP credit so I could jump to Spanish IV at the college I was attending before A&M.

Of the CBK courses, I will have the following completed:

MATH 141, MATH 142, ECON 202, ECON 203, INFO 210, ENGL 104, MGMT 211

I'm planning on taking ACCT 229 at Blinn next semester and not transferring the credit until after I appeal for admission. I'm sure it's better to stay as close as possible to the 75 hour limit.

I have heard MIS is not as competitive as other majors such as Accounting or Finance. Not sure though..

I will just appeal and hope for the best...ha
nnichols
Not to be Debbie downer, but it's going to be hard, real hard, to get that appeal through.
c47v3770
nnichols, why do you think it will be REAL hard?
Do you know of any people who haven't gotten in?

I know of several people who have gotten in with less than a 3.0 cumulative and really close to 75 hours.

[This message has been edited by c47v3770 (edited 1/8/2011 9:51p).]

[This message has been edited by c47v3770 (edited 1/9/2011 11:34a).]
BigPuma
AG
quote:
best thing to do is go talk to the MIS academic adviser and definitely Dr. Jasperson

make yourself personable. For a while they were almost begging Mays students to major in MIS or SUP. Seriously go talk to these people because they can get you in.
c47v3770
Thanks..
I really want to major in MIS so I will do all I can to increase my chances of being accepted..
always gig em
AG
quote:

This. I was majoring in MIS and had to stop school for awhile (death in family). I can tell you that Jasperson and Whitcomb are very personable and can help you. Of, course I'm sure there's stipulations, but hey try. Why not?

quote:
make yourself personable. For a while they were almost begging Mays students to major in MIS or SUP. Seriously go talk to these people because they can get you in.

Also this. When I was there, there was ALWAYS a social or party of some kind trying to get people into those majors. It was very cool, the people they would get to come in and talk and just the overall feel of how they wanted you to succeed. When you get in, make SURE you join AITP. Great speakers, dinners, field trips, etc.
coscaggie
AG
Suprised Mays is letting people transfer in with GPA's in this range.

Not to be a downer but I just think you're going to have a tough hill to climb.

Nnichols,

I thought you needed a 3.5 to transfer into MAYS. Also, are there different requirements for Finc or Acct?
Saxsoon
AG
No, it is currently a 3.0. I believe the 3.5 is for grad school but I am not certain.
c47v3770
I have several friends with 2.98 cumulative GPAs that have gotten in. So hopefully with 8 hours over and a 3.0 both cumulative and CBK gpa, the "hill" won't be too "tough to climb"

The advisor at one of the change of curriculum information sessions pretty much said that as long as you have a 3.0 or higher, you are in..

[This message has been edited by c47v3770 (edited 1/16/2011 7:12p).]
coscaggie
AG
JMO but I hope they are not letting 2.98 in. 3.25 should be the absolute floor.
nnichols
I dont buy the 2.98. If that is the case, we now have something to discuss at our directors meetings. We have been told its nothing lower than a 3.00, no exceptions and for external transfers, the gpa cut off its 3.5. If sub 3's are getting in, its going to stop soon. Guess thats a win win.
c47v3770
There's a reason why the appeal process exists.

If requirements do change, hopefully it will be next year!

[This message has been edited by c47v3770 (edited 1/19/2011 9:47a).]

[This message has been edited by c47v3770 (edited 1/19/2011 9:53a).]
Jack Pearson
AG
Any updates on these?
Jack Pearson
AG
Question....I started out in engineering my freshman year but switched to general studies...I've made a 3.75 my last two semesters increasing my gpa to a 3.297...the minimum to transfer into Mays is a 3.30...Apparently I have to appeal the .003 I'm short....without the one class I would have a 3.57gpa...I have a 3.8 in the "qualifying courses" required and meet all other requirements. Plan is to transfer this Spring. Anyone have experience with this recently?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.