The Battalion

3,443 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by The Agly Duckling
Wranglers_04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is this a good organization to join?
Thread Sinker
yes, considering how you tend to start potentially controversial threads, you can certainly stir the pot using the battalion.
Wranglers_04
lol, thanks BlueAg.

Anyone else know anything about "The Battalion?"
GarlandAg2012
AG
I have heard that they have won awards from time to time for their writing or whatever, but I haven't verified that...just heard from word of mouth.

There's sometimes articles I love, and sometimes there are pretty big WTF moments...If you wanna work for a newspaper in college I imagine it's a decent start.
macaggie
You could always try the Maroon Weekly too.
Hulla Baller
AG
The writers are terrible. Most of the stories aren't worth reading.
GoneGirl
AG
I've had a conversation with them that went something like this...

(me) - So what exactly IS your policy on quoting someone?

(the Batt editor) - Well, we don't really have a policy.

(me) - well, would you agree that you should actually talk to the person you are quoting before quoting them?

(the Batt editor) --- (long pause) ---ummmmmmm, I'm not sure.

Then I gave up.
Sublette County
AG
You certainly couldn't make it worse. The Batt went WAY downhill from 07-08 to 08-09.
ryanhnc10
AG
agreed, stay away from the Batt. if you're a decent writer, check out the Eagle instead.
Robert C. Christian
AG
My only request is that if you write in the opinion section write something else besides satirical articles. That seems to be all that populates that section. Would be nice to have some thing that doesn't try to be painfully funny to bring home some point.
Cheer
AG
another vote for the Maroon Weekly if you must write for a paper. a friend of mine got started on there. she's a journalism teacher now, but did some writing in Dallas the past few years.
macaggie
If you are interested in the Maroon Weekly let me know. I will be the Managing Editor in the Fall. I may have some spots available.
AG
hopefully the batt will be a little better with Kenny Ryan gone, that guy was horrible
splits
I worked for the batt for 2 years. and whatever editor supposedly responded that way about our "quoting policy" better not have worked for me!
texaggie2009
quote:
My only request is that if you write in the opinion section write something else besides satirical articles. That seems to be all that populates that section. Would be nice to have some thing that doesn't try to be painfully funny to bring home some point.

+1

I was going to post this exact thing. If you want to be an opinion writer, please develop well thought out opinions with substantive arguments. I got tired of reading satire and ridiculous hypotheticals.
Al Bula
AG
It's a very accomodating place to work. Heck, one of the former editors also pulled double duty dancing at the Sock. Solid!
aunuwyn08
AG
Are Batt writers paid?
FightinBQ09
AG
The BATT is horrible and doesn't represent the student body whatsoever. They don't do actual research or interviews and if they make a mistake their follow up article will be a satirical article, even if it was serious.

Work for the Batt if you want to change it.
Prior22
AG
I worked for the Batt when it was still somewhat respected. The work I did with the Batt led to work writing for a couple of major sports magazines and a current job up here in New York City. You CAN use the Batt to get a foot in the door if you try hard. The current staff makes me sick. I've never seen so many poor Op-Ed/puff pieces in my life. Blame it on the current advisor.

The paper really does miss Mr. Wegner and Ron George...
The Agly Duckling
So, can anyone explain the kerfuffle Finebaum hit on last week?

TIA.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.