BIMS Block

6,313 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by Prexys Moon
aggiemom2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
My son didn't take two Science courses (can be math/science or 2-Science) this semester - he had taken both of his physics courses this past summer (he's taking his O'Chem course now and doing great in it, actually). He didn't know that he had to take at least 2 per semester... now they are telling him he may have to switch majors (saying he's a closet major). Mind you he is ahead as far as courses to take and complete (and then some) as of this semester.

I guess what bothers me (among other things) is that his adviser approved his schedule for this semester - He has found nothing that says anything about requiring 2 science courses per semester on TAMU's website or the BIMS website.

Arghhhhh

He's having to write a letter to the Dean to explain why - does anybody know what his chances are of having his BIMS degree plan taken away from him? He is a U2 (will qualify as a U3 at the end of this semester - class of 2011)

[This message has been edited by aggiemom2011 (edited 10/14/2008 8:05p).]
aggiemom2011
S
nm

[This message has been edited by aggiemom2011 (edited 10/14/2008 8:55p).]
goldag
I had to write a letter explaining about my gpa to the science department. I ended up changing majors, but they allowed me to be on probation. I don't know how that helps in your sons case but they are fair about situations if you can explain yourself well. He may have to change. It's not the end of the world if he does.

My advisor didn't tell everyone the truth all of the time about schedules. I was told by another student that what I was doing wouldn't allow me to graduate. I did.

[This message has been edited by goldag (edited 10/14/2008 9:12p).]
aggiemom2011
S
Thanks goldag - I'm hoping for him they will be fair - he is ahead as for as his schedule goes (BIMS plan) - he just didn't take 2 in one semester this *one* semester, and he has a pretty good GPR. *sigh*

Thanks for the support/advise, it is appreciated! You're right, it isn't the end of the world. Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me why they wouldn't be fair about it. The adviser today was pretty flippant about it to him. He said he'll know within 24 hours once he submits his letter, which he said he'll send tomorrow.
Ulrich
1. In this case, see if there is anyone besides the adviser he can talk to face to face; the department head would be a good option if possible.

2. In the future, NEVER rely on the word of one adviser. If I didn't doublecheck everything I'm told, I would have showed up for my classes this semester and found that I had been kicked out of all of them, and then I would have been in real trouble. Some advisers just don't have a clue what they are talking about (not the aero advisers, they are actually great and are the ones that saved me getting booted from all my classes).
aggiemom2011
S
Thanks aero ag 2010,

The adviser told him he had to write a letter to the Dean yesterday. Talking to the head of Dept. would have been a great idea! He's doing this on his own (of course), but I will make that suggestion (thanks again!) Dr. Crouch might be a good one to talk to - not sure at this point.

Personally, the advisers who give out wrong information should be fired for doing a poor job. Where I work they would be fired (it cost people money/time). It would be one thing if it was mentioned on their website, but it isn't - we've both checked. I keep hearing complaint after complaint about advisers (not BIMS, but in general). He's learned his lesson, BIG time. Check not just once but three times.

Can you tell I'm ticked? (it's a big investment) - I'll calm down - I'm sure they will unblock him once they see the physics courses transferred from this summer and read his letter showing what all he's completed thus far and his GPR. If not he has other choices he can choose from...
7yrplan
AG
i think he will be fine. i would go talk to somebody face to face. get into whomevers office he can. he might have to be persistant but i think he has a good case. i would tell him to keep his cool, dont say anything stupid.... ie.. be respectful, but show some backbone. some of those advisors are remedial. IF for some reason they do give him the boot, then you are right, it isnt the end of the world. however, i suspect, if he has a decent GPR, and he speaks to them face to face they will let it pass.

[This message has been edited by 7yrplan (edited 10/15/2008 11:50a).]
aggiemom2011
S
Thanks 7yrplan, I was actually hoping you would read the thread (I guess he should have taken Physics at A&M after all hehe that way he would have the two sciences this semester - he did good though this summer!) btw- he made an 91 on his O'Chem test (aggie mom brag there)

He kept his cool yesterday, said that when he got frustrated he just left - respectfully, because he didn't want to lose his cool (smart choice and I agree).

~Mom
aggiederelict
If the same advisers are still there when I was there, they really aren't much help at all. I was really frustrated with the advising in the BIMS office.
7yrplan
AG
just a thought... but does he have a relationship with any of his profesors? preferably science? even if it was last semesters prof.... perhaps they can vouch for his dedication to the major.

the reason the email has me worried is the dean can do whatever he wants with it. he doesnt even have to read the whole thing, or pay attention past the heading. if its face to face, or he has a "testimony" then it speaks a little louder. maybe the letter is sufficient, but it doesnt hurt to stack the odds.
aggiemom2011
S
I just talked to him, it was Crouch he spoke to.... she said he was out of BIMS, but could re-apply after the spring, problem is, he'll have over the 75 hours next semester and they won't allow you to change your major once you go over 75 This is making me sick to my stomach.

He was going to request to see the Dean in the letter, I'll suggest he call and make an appt. - actually he was going to send it to "Skip" the asst. Dean.

Do they read these msg boards? I don't want to say something and make it worse.

He's calling her back...

[This message has been edited by aggiemom2011 (edited 10/15/2008 5:05p).]
suture_scissors
AG
This just happened to a friend of mine also. She had a 4.0, an approved schedule by an advisor, and was getting kicked out of her major. Ridiculous.

If BIMS doen't want your son, tell him to switch to Biology. It's actually in the College of Science, and it's a better degree anyway.

goldag
I think I had more than 75 hours when I changed majors.
aggiemom2011
S
Crouch said no - he's submitting the letter and is going to go talk to the Asst. Dean.

I'm thinking they'll let him back in even with 77 hours in the spring. Otherwise, I think switching to Biology might be a good idea (they don't require that he be under 75 hours) - if BIMS doesn't want our money, I'm sure the College of Science would be more than happy to get it. In the end the only thing that will matter is getting into Vet School (yes, we know that challenge, but the path doesn't have to be BIMS)

Thank you all for the advise and support! You don't know how much I appreciate it (a LOT).

AggieG15 - ridiculous is correct - and with a 4.0 at that!

edit was for a spelling error (I know better) ugh

[This message has been edited by aggiemom2011 (edited 10/15/2008 11:07p).]
aggiederelict
In all honesty BIMS sounds great in theory, but actually doesn't open the doors you would think.
aggiemom2011
S
He's switched his major - you're right, he'll be better off. He can still take all the requirements that's needed to get into vet school (of which he has already taken quite a few of).

He can breath now and concentrate on O'Chem for now.

Thank you all for your support and suggestions!

~Mom~
DDSAg09
AG
Everybody knocks the BIMS advisors and it as a major but they've yet to steer me wrong. Brady Dennis is great and BIMS really is a good major if you want to go to professional school. Sorry to hear about your ordeal though.
aggiemom2011
S
I called and talked to Brady and you're right he's very nice and informative - and I'm sure he would have done everything he could to help. Unfortunately, Brady doesn't have the power to make the decision that was made.

There is more than one way to get into professional school and my son doesn't have any issue with the BIMS plan (course load). The issue was.... even though he had plenty of credits for Science and Math (he's a U2) - they still wouldn't let him stay - because this semester he only took *ONE* science (O'Chem) - he had taken both physics courses this summer and had already gotten his BIO courses out of the way - AND the adviser in the spring approved his schedule for the fall (the adviser in the Spring wasn't Brady FWIW).

We didn't want to risk spending more money and chancing him not being able to re-admit into BIMS. He would have had to appeal that as well), because he'll have 77 hours. Couldn't risk the cost either.

I mean no offense, by the way, please understand that... it just really bothers me the way they handled it. He was told by another professor that he was surprised they dropped him as well.

Life goes on

[This message has been edited by aggiemom2011 (edited 10/17/2008 7:33p).]
KRamp96
The easiest way to get into professional school is:

1. Take the required courses
2. Show aptitude by making good grades
3. Have good entrane test scores.

Your choice of major is meaningless.
suture_scissors
AG
quote:
Your choice of major is meaningless.
I respectfully disagree.

As a biology major, I had exposure to a lot of undergraduate research that other majors would not, and I had more science related courses. The Film/Business/Marketing majors don't have that benefit.

Biology is the best choice, in my opinion.
Hawk2007
I'm just curious what is meant by a "closet" major?

Also, I've never heard of the minimum 2 req sciences per semester in that major.

Finally, I agree with what was said as far as BIMS is a good major in theory, but it's very difficult to do anything with it unless you plan on going to professional or some type of graduate medical program.
aggiemom2011
S
Closet Major (taking classes from one major while being in another) - why they considered him that, I don't know nor does he. That's what was put in the letter, but that wasn't the issue when they talked to him. My only guess is maybe because he chose to take care of some of his Core electives (also on the BIMS plan), since he wasn't taking an addition science course other than O'Chem - but, who knows.

"Also, I've never heard of the minimum 2 req sciences per semester in that major."

Don't try it, you'll get kicked out - my son hadn't heard of it either, nor could he find it anywhere, but that's what they said. Doesn't matter if you took courses in summer school and it doesn't matter rather or not you have taken more than the required amount of hours of Science and Math. Call and ask, even Brady said it's a requirement - he is the only one I called after this ordeal. My son talked to a different adviser and the asst. Dean.

FYI-FWIW

Wanted to add - It is correct that there is more than one path to Professional School - be it Medical, VET etc. It doesn't have to be BIMS. Animal Science has a Science option, requires pretty much the same courses as BIMS and still gets you into the same Professional Schools/Fields.

http://www.tamu.edu/admissions/catalogs/08-09_UG_Catalog/ag_life_sc/animal_science/science_option.htm

Ask Cheer what she thinks of BIMS Hi Cheer!

[This message has been edited by aggiemom2011 (edited 10/18/2008 11:20p).]
Byronic Aggie
quote:
As a biology major, I had exposure to a lot of undergraduate research that other majors would not, and I had more science related courses. The Film/Business/Marketing majors don't have that benefit.

That's true with just about any major. But there are majors out there which require a lot of input for very little output, such as BIMS. Personally, I think BIMS is probably the worst major at A&M. For as much work as the degree takes, you will either A) have to go to grad school (which can be done with a less intensive major) or B) make as much money as a communications major (which is a 100 times easier major).

aggiemom2011, your son's situation is a blessing in disguise.
aggiemom2011
S
"your son's situation is a blessing in disguise."

That's exactly how we feel, in more ways than one - Thank you!
7yrplan
AG
i feel bad for you and your son for having to go through this mess.

having said that, he will be fine. if he chooses biology and does well in school..... he will get into vet school. its really that simple. dont worry about it being tough, just put the time in... get the grades, and move on to bigger and better things than this BIMS nonsense.
tlepoC
AG
BIMS is probably the hardest major you can take that opens up 0 doors for you. For being filled with so many difficult courses (mainly anatomy, physiology, and the chemistry load) you get very little respect and very little opportunity.
aggiemom2011
S
Thank you for the encouragement, 7yrplan! That's how we both feel.

FWIW- He didn't switch to Biology, he switched to Animal Science - *Science option*, it has the exact some courses (Science/Math)he's already taken and allows him to make other choices as well - without being penalized and it costing us additional money. He's not looking for a lighter load (as you know), just wanting to get what he has to get taken care of to get in - pre-reqs, grades etc.

Ag20??
AG
As a Senior (whoop!) BIMS student I have to say your son made the correct choice. I'm also trying to get into vet school and BIMS has done a number on my GPA. I have a 3.4 which is on the edge of getting into vet school.

I really wish I had gone Animal Science instead. Not only are the classes easier (for the most part) but much more interesting (in my senior year I'm taking mostly ANSC classes to get what I missed by going BIMS). Anatomy and Physiology were interesting but one will be taking them in Vet school anyways so the only advantage to taking them early is you have the basis of knowledge already. The disadvantage is the number they do on your GPA (I got a B in both).

Add on top of that all the BIMS electives you need to take (any BIMS students reading this: Avoid pharmacology and virology) and it's just not worth the time and effort vs the payoff.

Edit: By the way I never knew about the 2 sciences rule either. I guess it's a "good" thing I took 2 sciences every semester just by habit. Wouldn't have minded having to switch majors though. At the time maybe but in retrospect, naw.

[This message has been edited by Ag20?? (edited 10/20/2008 6:22p).]
aggiemom2011
S
First of all ag20(09) congrats on becoming a Senior! It's a long road, with some really tough courses! I'm pulling for you getting into vet school, best of luck fwiw, our vet did both BIMS and then went back and got another degree in Animal Science (not everybody has to do that, btw!)

The animal Science - science option (per the catalog) still requires he take VTPP 423 Biomedical Physiology, (which requires a pre-req of VIBS 305 Anatomy.)

However, on the degree audit it says he only has to take VTPP 323- Physiology of Domestic Animals (which doesn't require Anatomy-pre req.) - I've mentioned this to him and he's going to talk to the head advisers to make sure rather or not he has to take both of them - don't want to go down that road again of messing anything up! Vet School doesn't require either one as a pre-req. (as you already know!) but, the knowledge is good to have - but not exactly friendly to the GPR... 7yrplan has talked about this subject (tough courses) and has put it well on this thread and another that I saw him on before.)

You're right though, now he doesn't have to take all those BIMS electives, therefore he has more room to take other ANSC courses (hands on) - I hear what you're saying there!

And to top it off... the head adviser was very approachable per my son - not his words, but he felt like he was talking to somebody who really gave a... uh cared

Keep us posted on how it goes, I'll be watching for your "WHOOP I got IN!"
~Mom~

Edit: added your year

[This message has been edited by aggiemom2011 (edited 10/20/2008 8:39p).]
Cheer
AG
wow, I have a BIMS degree and didn't know about that requirement. did your son go to Brady? he sucks as an adviser imo. he gave a lot of my classmates wrong information.

quote:
Personally, I think BIMS is probably the worst major at A&M. For as much work as the degree takes, you will either A) have to go to grad school (which can be done with a less intensive major) or B) make as much money as a communications major (which is a 100 times easier major).

I agree, which is why I'm in nursing school now.

[This message has been edited by cheer (edited 10/20/2008 9:59p).]
aggiemom2011
S
hi cheer! They told him he should have known, that it was in the handbook that was handed out during freshman orientation. He couldn't find it anywhere btw.

Funny how nobody knew it, not even him. If he had he would have taken another science course this fall (trust me). As you know the course load is pretty tough and he wants to graduate in 2011.

Brady told me that it happens quite often. If it happens that often than something is wrong with this picture IMO - but, as it's been said.. Life goes on and he's better off

forgot to answer your question! Yes, he talked to Brady the first semester but not in the spring nor during all of this. I talked to Brady after the ordeal (explained above).

[This message has been edited by aggiemom2011 (edited 10/20/2008 10:17p).]
20-12th Man
AG
I guess I just got lucky here. I was told by two different people of the two sciences rule. Dr. Crouch and Erin Schneider have both worked with me and have been amazing. There are bad experiences with everywhere. I just don't want potential students to be scared off. A lot of the people in BIMS I've met in my short time here have been extraordinarily helpful. I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation. It really wasn't handled well by the department. But, I just want future students to know that if you are willing to work hard and are sure you want to go to professional school, BIMS really is a great major that offers opportunities that no other major can offer.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag20??
AG
That's really odd. I had Dr. Crouch as my adviser for two years and then Dr. Brady for my adviser last year and neither of them mentioned the two science thing. I suppose it's because I already had two sciences but you'd think a 'make sure you don't drop any of this or we'll kick you out' or something like that would come up.

quote:
However, on the degree audit it says he only has to take VTPP 323- Physiology of Domestic Animals (which doesn't require Anatomy-pre req.)

I think this is the case. Reason I say this is last year when I talked to Brady I had Physiology planned for the summer and then Physiology of Domestic Animals planned for the fall as I thought they would cover different things (take Physiology for humans and my degree requirement and domestic animals to learn about what I'm actually interested in). He basically took it off, said it was redundant, and explained that Phys of Domestic Animals is the toned down phys that ANSC majors take.

By the by if Anatomy isn't required for his ANSC Science degree option I wouldn't take it. It's a very interesting class (get to thoroughly dissect a dog) but there's no way that should be a pre-req for Physiology. Very little that I learned in Anatomy applied to Phys and what did apply wasn't really worthy of being requisite.

But yah check into the Domestic Animal physiology bit. It's taught by Dr. Blue-McLendon who is awesome and is on the admissions committee for the vet school.
Cheer
AG
yea, I had Brady for exactly one advising session my freshman year, and Dr. Crouch the rest of the time... neither mentioned a thing about the 2 sciences. however, looking at my transcript, I actually took 2 sciences every semester except for one 10-week summer session when I only took biochem and psychology.
20-12th Man
AG
Sorry, I should have specified. The two times I was told about it was from Erin and from my DG leader at fish camp who was also a BIMS major.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.