NPR: IRS Targeting Black Low Income Earners For Audits

4,149 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Science Denier
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you caught the NPR morning show, this was a featured story. The nexus? Earned Income Tax Credit and claiming dependents. This is a mistake made by many black tax filers according to the story and the IRS is going to go after high probability win audits as opposed to targeting higher income earners with more complex finances.
Seems like the fairest thing we can do is enact a flat tax with partial refunds for low income earners because the IRS being involved in low income folks' lives is just another stress point.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Pookers
AG
They voted for this *****
CDUB98
AG
Pookers said:

This.

You want more gov't, here's more gov't.
Ag87H2O
AG
I find it difficult to feel bad about this. You get what you vote for.
combat wombat™
AG
As a CPA, I will say some of the most messed up returns I have ever seen are those that are self-prepared by people who don't know any better. They tend to be low income.
Pookers
AG
combat wombat said:

As a CPA, I will say some of the most messed up returns I have ever seen are those that are self-prepared by people who don't know any better. They tend to be low income.
What makes things so complicated?
combat wombat™
AG
Ignorance of the rules mainly.
Tea Party
They need to vote harder for the handouts otherwise they might get punished by their plantation masters like this.

/s

Hopefully they learn that D's do not have their best interests at heart and adjust their view of gov accordingly, unless being dependent on gov is their interest.....
Learn about the Texas Nationalist Movement
https://tnm.me
TexasAggiesWin
S
What did they think an additional 87,000 IRS agents would be doing?
dds08
AG
They should go to VITA. They do taxes for low income earners for free and will go to bat for them in court if there is an audit.
Ag In Ok
AG
combat wombat said:

Why do i read that is systemic racism? Why fix bridges when buses aren't used like they were when Joe started his political career int he shadow of Robert Byrd. Fix what the lasting issue is for all races - dumb ass IRS rules.
UTExan
Pookers said:

combat wombat said:

What makes things so complicated?

I would suspect a non-custodial parent claiming children as dependents (while paying child support) is a major issue. The story didn't state that specifically and went out of its way not to say that, but that is likely a trigger for the IRS.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
YouBet
AG
TexasAggiesWin said:

This has been repealed according to McCarthy.
fixer
UTExan said:

If you caught the NPR morning show, this was a featured story. The nexus? Earned Income Tax Credit and claiming dependents. This is a mistake made by many black tax filers according to the story and the IRS is going to go after high probability win audits as opposed to targeting higher income earners with more complex finances.
Seems like the fairest thing we can do is enact a flat tax with partial refunds for low income earners because the IRS being involved in low income folks' lives is just another stress point.

There is no way the Biden admin era woke irs is going after a protected class.

NPR is either making this up or is grotesquely exaggerating one single situation.
BQ_90
AG
fixer said:

UTExan said:

NPR is either making this up or is grotesquely exaggerating one single situation.
my guess its NPR trying to show how the govt only goes after minorities

again if IRS wanted to stop fraud, just audit how many refunds go back to the same address, the fraud isn't hard to find, just have to look.
combat wombat™
AG
This isn't a race issue, in my experience.
UTExan
combat wombat said:

This isn't a race issue, in my experience.

It is (and always will be) for NPR.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
fixer said:

UTExan said:

this times a 100. what's the payoff 6 bucks? no they will go after white middle class earners who as a family make between 75-125k a year. that's the sweet spot.
AgNav93
AG
TexasAggiesWin said:

Goin' after whitey, Bill Gates, George Soros and Mark Cuban, duh. That's what the DNC told them.
girlfriend_experience
Good luck auditing Ray Ray and shanequiA
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Having worked closely with numerous immigrants over my career, many of whom like to talk too much, I'd say that it's amazing the amount of fraud that exists in the Earned Income Credit program. And many of those folks' 'tax preparers' aid and abet this stuff.

Some buy, sell, and trade SS#s for dependents, even those belonging to non-residents. Some get a 'second' residential address and even though they're married, claim head-of-household for both man and wife, and bank damn good money because of it, even though they both have good-paying jobs.

What surprises me is that team Biden wouldn't just look the other way. That surprises me a lot.

Too be fair -- Some of the PPP stuff I hear about makes me sick as well. And a lot of those folks are on the other end of the economic ladder.

BTW, did California ever recover all those COVID-era unemployment benefits they paid out fraudulently, much of it to foreigners? I'm sure they're on it with their best people.
TxTarpon
UTExan said:

They make $$$$$$$ in the cash economy, under report their income, take the credit, but then get caught.

Franklin Comes Alive!
So 14 trillion for reparations, but a 6 figure per year irs agent is taking some poor family to task for a grand or so on tax returns???

Great job to all the cornpop voters that couldn't overcome their tds
Old McDonald
UTExan said:

turbo tax and hr block would unleash an army of lobbyists upon dc to prevent this
TxTarpon
No doubt there.
The AICPA army too.
FrioAg 00
AG
Quote:

go[ing] after high probability win audits

This is typical NPR woke, race baiting BS.

"High probability win" translates to "obvious tax laws were broken", and remember that these tax credits often result in refund checks being cut directly to the filers.

So yeah, the IRS should absolutely go hard after these thieves, without regard to the color of anyone's skin. If they are disproportionately one color or another, I don't really give one s**t.

buzzardb267
AG
I worked, seasonally, for H&R Block after I retired for six years. I worked in a working class suburb and the fraud was appalling. People would come in and bring a list of SSNs for kids and ask me to prepare a return using a few of them and then add or subtract to see which got the greatest EITC. We were trained to turn those people away, and I did, but many didn't because they got paid partially on the number of returns and the complexity of them.

Another prevalent scam was self employed who got paid in cash. It was a running joke that some people's income was printed on the ceiling. When asked how much they made, they would look skyward and say "oh, about $$$". There again, if the EITC wasn't high enough, they would start remembering other small jobs they did for cash. I turned those away also.
combat wombat™
AG
A lot won't report cash earnings. It's frequently obvious when people are doing that. I don't even open the 1009s I get because I report every penny of income. Some people, surprisingly, only have income that was reported on 1099s.
YouBet
AG
fixer said:

UTExan said:

Actually makes total sense. There is more fraud at the lower income levels because:
  • Those people don't know know how to complete a tax return accurately.
  • The EITC is a known, widely abused feature.
  • Middle class and upper class folks are smarter so more accurate if doing their own return or you are using a CPA who is obviously going to follow the rules.

Thus, there are far more abusers at the lower levels than the upper levels. And it just so happens for NPR's propaganda that blacks have a large proportion of folks in lower income brackets who are living in bullet 1 or 2.
TheEternalPessimist
Pookers said:

Most did without knowing or contemplating this would be a policy that was used against them.

Just because they voted for the people enacting this, doesn't mean that I don't care when they are treated unjustly as well. I only hope it sways their political ignorance in the future.
Pookers
AG
TheEternalPessimist said:

Pookers said:

Most did without knowing or contemplating this would be a policy that was used against them.

Just because they voted for the people enacting this, doesn't mean that I don't care when they are treated unjustly as well. I only hope it sways their political ignorance in the future.
It won't. And I hope the IRS bends them over if they are cheating on taxes.
TheEternalPessimist
YouBet said:

fixer said:

UTExan said:

Actually makes total sense. There is more fraud at the lower income levels because:
  • Those people don't know know how to complete a tax return accurately.
  • The EITC is a known, widely abused feature.
  • Middle class and upper class folks are smarter so more accurate if doing their own return or you are using a CPA who is obviously going to follow the rules.

Thus, there are far more abusers at the lower levels than the upper levels. And it just so happens for NPR's propaganda that blacks have a large proportion of folks in lower income brackets who are living in bullet 1 or 2.
I am no dummy..... but try figuring out paying state income taxes for part of the year in MN and part of the year in AL. And finding an accountant to help with this complex mess.....
rwtxag83
AG
IMO, this may actually be true, and done purposely as a pretense to going after the higher value targets.

'Hey, look, we already went after the minority and low income guys. Now it's YOUR Turn!'
Greater love hath no man than this....
Squadron7
AG
The "87,000 New Agents" thing was always just

1) That many more Democrat patronage jobs and,
2) Helps bolster the lie that the rich aren't paying their fair share and the Donks Are! Doing! Something! About! This! Injustice!

javajaws
AG
combat wombat said:

the rules mainly.
fify
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.