Amazon Smile terminating in about a month.

4,759 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by YouBet
Buck Turgidson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Many of you may be aware that Amazon Smile let you name a charity of choice and have a tiny fraction of your purchases directed to that charity. I've been using that for several years to benefit the private school that my kids attend. Well it turns out that after several years my purchases generated a whopping $11.46 for the school. The hundreds of parents all have, over the entire course of the program, generated a little over $3,300. Pretty weak.

Now Amazon is cancelling the program altogether and instead they will concentrate the funds to benefit only a small number of woke charities. Being liberals, they took a weak program and made it worse. This is the kind of crap that happens when you allow a company to achieve a virtual monopoly. It would be pretty hard to just boycott Amazon at this point and buy everything you want from dozens of separate vendors. I'm not aware of a serious Amazon competitor either.

https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/company-news/amazon-closing-amazonsmile-to-focus-its-philanthropic-giving-to-programs-with-greater-impact
Beckdiesel03
AG
Wow, we do the same thing for our kids private school. I had no idea it was going away. Gotta love the world we are in.
dead
AG
Which of the listed charities do you have a problem with?
Malibu
Can't you just go to the store?
PLUM LOCO
AG
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3356877#64116656
JohnLA762
AG
Why not just contribute your money directly rather than through the "evil empire" that is Amazon?

girlfriend_experience
LOL how dare a business do whats best for it cause of muuuuuuuh charity.
coconutED
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

It would be pretty hard to just boycott Amazon at this point and buy everything you want from dozens of separate vendors.
It's actually not.
fightingfarmer09
coconutED said:

Buck Turgidson said:

It would be pretty hard to just boycott Amazon at this point and buy everything you want from dozens of separate vendors.
It's actually not.

Agreed. Most everything still on Amazon is Chinese copies of actual products. Walmart has better shipping and you can return it to a store.

Rather shop directly with the vendor.
jkag89
JohnLA762 said:

Why not just contribute your money directly rather than through the "evil empire" that is Amazon?

I have a feeling most do so but if corporations are going to set up such programs, why not use them?
AggieVictor10
AG
JohnLA762 said:

That's the plan.
Less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real.
jopatura
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

coconutED said:

Buck Turgidson said:

It's actually not.

Agreed. Most everything still on Amazon is Chinese copies of actual products. Walmart has better shipping and you can return it to a store.

Rather shop directly with the vendor.

We got rid of Prime at the beginning of January. It wasn't worth the $150 or so they were asking for it. So far we haven't missed it. I've used Target drive up for a few things + Walmart has had better prices on a few things. The only thing we will likely order from Amazon any time soon is some decorations for my son's birthday party since he's got a niche theme. The Chinese crap is good for that.
BigRobSA
Buck Turgidson said:

Many of you may be aware that Amazon Smile let you name a charity of choice and have a tiny fraction of your purchases directed to that charity. I've been using that for several years to benefit the private school that my kids attend. Well it turns out that after several years my purchases generated a whopping $11.46 for the school. The hundreds of parents all have, over the entire course of the program, generated a little over $3,300. Pretty weak.

Now Amazon is cancelling the program altogether and instead they will concentrate the funds to benefit only a small number of woke charities. Being liberals, they took a weak program and made it worse. This is the kind of crap that happens when you allow a company to achieve a virtual monopoly. It would be pretty hard to just boycott Amazon at this point and buy everything you want from dozens of separate vendors. I'm not aware of a serious Amazon competitor either.

https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/company-news/amazon-closing-amazonsmile-to-focus-its-philanthropic-giving-to-programs-with-greater-impact

"Hard"?

Don't buy **** on Amazon. Seems easy. Hell, my dumb MexiHonky ass did this months ago. If I can do it, superior whites can, too.

TXAGFAN
AG
"Cancel Amazon - Private businesses should do what we say!"

LOL, they can do whatever they want. They're a private business, I'm sure they will feel your boycott bigly.

Also, I am dying at these charities being described the way you described them. What a nightmare it must be to be a conservative victim.
techno-ag
AG
Is the Target school charity thing still going?
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
schmellba99
AG
dead said:

Considering all of them appear to be Amazon programs....all of them. Because Amazon will have absolute control over the overhead and operations costs for each of these entities, as wellas what they opt to serve with the benefits of those "charities".

Thats a no from me dawg.
TXAGFAN
AG
schmellba99 said:

dead said:

Considering all of them appear to be Amazon programs....all of them. Because Amazon will have absolute control over the overhead and operations costs for each of these entities, as wellas what they opt to serve with the benefits of those "charities".

Thats a no from me dawg.
It is THEIR money.
dead
AG
You did read what the charities were, right?

What a weird hill to die on
TommyBrady
AG
I have never bought from Amazon. Don't have an account and I'm 32 and somehow able to survive without it.
Four Seasons Landscaping
So Woke....
Quote:

• Housing Equity Fund:
    We're investing $2 billion to build and preserve affordable housing in our hometown communities. In just two years, we've provided funding to create more than 14,000 affordable homesand we expect to build at least 6,000 more in the coming months. These units will host more than 18,000 moderate- to low-income families, many of them with children. In one year alone, our investments have been able to increase the affordable housing stock in communities like Bellevue, Washington and Arlington, Virginia by at least 20%.
  • Amazon Future Engineer:
    We've funded computer science curriculum for more than 600,000 students across over 5,000 schoolsall in underserved communities. We have plans to reach an additional 1 million students this year. We've also provided immediate assistance to 55,000 students in our hometown communities by giving them warm clothes for the winter, food, and school supplies.
  • Community Delivery Program:
    We've partnered with food banks in 35 U.S. cities to deliver more than 23 million meals, using our logistics infrastructure to help families in need access healthy foodand we plan to deliver 12 million more meals this year alone. In addition to our delivery services, we've also donated 30 million meals in communities across the country.
  • Amazon Disaster Relief:
    We're using our logistics capabilities, inventory, and cloud technology to provide fast aid to communities affected by natural disasters. For example, we've created a Disaster Relief Hub in Atlanta with more than 1 million relief items ready for deployment, our Disaster Relief team has responded to more than 95 natural disasters, and we've donated more than 20 million relief products to nonprofits assisting communities on the ground.

lotoarmy
AG
If you live in the boonies ( I'm talking Amazon or McDonald's 40 miles away), it is not easy to wean yourself off Amazon.
Last of the Old Army
agent-maroon
AG
I've considered dropping Prime and buying direct from vendors, but we have had some problems with porch pirates walking off with our packages. With Prime you can have it shipped to a coded locker or to some Whole Food stores for secure pick-up. Do the same with Home Depot, Lowe's, Northern Tool. Target not convenient for us and Walmart is porch delivery only.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXAGFAN
AG
agent-maroon said:

I've considered dropping Prime and buying direct from vendors, but we have had some problems with porch pirates walking off with our packages. With Prime you can have it shipped to a coded locker or to some Whole Food stores for secure pick-up. Do the same with Home Depot, Lowe's, Northern Tool. Target not convenient for us and Walmart is porch delivery only.
Its so hard to be principled, but how can you keep shopping at Amazon when they give money to causes like housing, STEM, feeding the hungry, etc. That's not very Republican of those monsters at Amazon.
c-jags
TXAGFAN said:

agent-maroon said:

Its so hard to be principled, but how can you keep shopping at Amazon when they give money to causes like housing, STEM, feeding the hungry, etc. That's not very Republican of those monsters at Amazon.

I'm not opposed to any charity (for the most part) but I liked the localization of charity giving. They're fine to do what they liked with their philanthropy, but it was a nice perk that I knew it was local.

As an aside, equity, underserved, and community as buzz words probably means it isn't going to go to things I give my money to. I'd be fairly surprised if some bigger "charities" didn't lean into Amazon and try to bump off some of the smaller ones. That's pure conjecture on my part.

FTR, my smile donation has gone to a ministry that exclusively trains, educates, and houses young black men mostly in poverty run by a fellow TexAger and his wife. They do amazing work in the community and do a lot of great things like job interview training, establishing relationships at a young age with LEO, counseling, etc. We disagree politically on some things, but I love them and their heart.
agent-maroon
AG
TXAGFAN said:

agent-maroon said:

What are you babbling about? I wasn't thinking about dropping Prime because of whatever infinitesimal charity money they gave away to causes I never looked into, but rather was looking into saving the Prime monthly fees. I just wanted my stuff and to not have it stolen off my porch by (likely dem voting) thieves. I've never used Smile myself.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Buck Turgidson said:

People have said the same thing about numerous other businesses over our history. Eventually, the market sorts it out. Ask Blockbuster and Sears.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
AustinScubaAg
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

These programs are nothing but a way for the company to get a tax break using your money. You should never participate in them
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Why? Seems mutually beneficial.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
TxTarpon
Private business can do what they want.
Spend your money directly to the unwoke charities you like.
DatTallArchitect
AG
TXAGFAN said:

schmellba99 said:

dead said:

Thats a no from me dawg.
It is THEIR money.
It isn't their money until he buys something from them. I know we're moving more and more from a free nation, but Bezos can't just take our money yet.
schmellba99
AG
TXAGFAN said:

schmellba99 said:

dead said:

Thats a no from me dawg.
It is THEIR money.
Once I give it to them.

Before that it is MY money, and I will choose to not give to their new "charities" because I wanted it to go to the one I designated.

Simple. Easy. See how that works?
schmellba99
AG
dead said:

You did read what the charities were, right?

What a weird hill to die on
I did.

GOD FORBID I don't think it is as good as what I currently give my money to or trust taht Amazon is maximizing the use of whatever funds they are putting into their "charities".

THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!!
dead
AG
So you're fine with what the charities are doing, you just don't like them because they're under Amazon?
WHOOP!'91
AG
dead said:

All of the "underserved community" garbage is garbage. Also, no wounded veterans charities is a problem.
schmellba99
AG
dead said:

So you're fine with what the charities are doing, you just don't like them because they're under Amazon?
They do what they want with their money.

I prefer to give my charitable money to things I know a lot more about and have a lot higher confidence in being done for altruistic reasons, as well as serving the areas that I think are most in need.

Amazon and their newly minted charities dont' fit the bill for me on any of those, and I have little faith it is anything more than a tax shelter for them to begin with. If i"m wrong, I'm wrong and good comes out of it.

Why does what I personally think bother you so much?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.