Crazy stats from VDH regarding Stanford Admissions

7,571 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CDUB98
CC09LawAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
100% this. I try to tell people, it's always about fighting over resources. Everything is finite; money, land, even power. This is just an attempt to claim more of it for a specific group/groups and wrestle it away from somewhere else.

The funny part is, the people that think this is ultimately going to benefit them are going to be left behind once the people pulling the strings consolidate the power for themselves.
CSTXAg92
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Isn't it ironic that these "intellectuals" setting these admission standards can't see the blatant racism they are propagating?
Because it's not racism if it's against whitey. Just like it's not insider trading if it's a Pelosi. Or Treason if you're a Biden and you have multiple stashes of top secret documents and irrefutable ties with CCP.

The culture of double-standards is alive and well.
Rodney Ruxin
TAMU1990 said:

I have sons too and it pisses me off. It's tough for white males to get into anything - med school, good schools, etc.

It's ironic because even using their own demented logic, it makes no sense to discriminate against males. Women have been better than men at getting into institutions of higher Ed for a while now.
Ellis Wyatt
Maroon Dawn said:

All the "elites" have moved to this same model of intentionally making it almost impossible for white middle class students to attend. They want rich, connected legacies to fund them and diversity to put on the brochure. YT middle class does nothing for them in their eyes
They are excepted, of course.

They call the shots for us, but like Hunter Biden, their children have no problem getting in because they are members of The Party. Their children and grandchildren will also be members. That's how The Party works. Freedom for some.

And there are a lot of idiots who vote for this.
AggieVictor10
AG
white men are the most discriminated against group of people especially if they are straight and even moreso if they are christian
Less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real.
Foamcows
AG
FWIW, it doesn't stop with just college. It carries over to the workforce.

I would see this as an opportunity for your kid to learn to love the grind. Life isn't fair, just how it is, but you can make a choice to push through or give up. Any kid that has had to get what they have because they worked for it is going to be way more capable than one that had an easy path. If you can learn to appreciate the challenge, and not the result, then you'll be better off.

aggie93
AG
Kool said:

aggie93 said:

Bonfire1996 said:

And there is a 0% chance he actually survived the rigors of a normal Harvard degree program. Dude was still a national political activist.
Harvard has a 97.8% Graduation rate. One of the things in the podcast they mention is how once you are in these schools it is virtually impossible to not graduate, you basically have to die or just quit. Otherwise you will get your degree. Apparently Cornell is thinking of dropping grades entirely and simply giving all students a 4.0.
This is absolutely true. Once you are in, you are in. It may be rigorous in general, but the grades will be inflated in order to not fail out those at the bottom. You might not get A's, but you also won't get D's or F's.

I went to one of the top two medical schools in the state of Texas. Several people failed out of the first year of medical school. None of those were Caucasian males. The school made those who failed repeat courses if it was only a class or two over the summer or they had them repeat the entire year if they failed too many classes. One of the students who failed INTO my class was a kid I went to high school with who was a year ahead of me. He went to Harvard undergraduate but failed his first year of medical school. He was also not a Caucasian male.

There is no way an employer or a graduate school will be able to tell how a student at one of these elite schools will be prepared for employment or further education that you are offering them. The "test optional" admissions process and pass/fail system (Part 1 of the Medical Boards is now Pass/Fail, and there is a push to make Part 2 Pass/Fail because residency programs use it to gauge academic abilities of students they plan to train to take care of people's health) are all designed to further "equity" in the academic environment.

Don't take my word for it though:
Medical Schools Bail on Academic Merit and Intellectual Rigor

"The dean of Stanford Medical School, Lloyd Minor, made a similar claim, announcing that instead of participating in the U.S. News rankings, the school would start issuing its own data "emphasizing diversity, equity, and inclusion."

A Jan. 24 statement from the dean of the medical school at the University of Pennsylvania, J. Larry Jameson, complained that the U.S. News rankings "measure the wrong things" and "encourage the acceptance of students based upon the highest grades and test scores." He then went on to say that "the Perelman School of Medicine aims to serve the needs of a changing world, including diverse communities and stakeholders.""
This stuff is really going to bite them in the ass. Essentially what many of these schools have done is take on the "a B is a C and a C is Failing" mentality. Now they are taking that up to the next level. The problem they are going to find is everything is based around living off a reputation built over decades and sometimes longer for academic excellence and selectivity. Once that veneer is broken (and it is already happening in many areas of business) it's going to be almost impossible to get back.

To be clear as well this is a strange situation for me. I don't really want my son to go to Stanford or comparable even if he gets in. I think he will be stronger and better prepared going to A&M or another large public school with intense competition and no coddling (he wants to do Biomedical Engineering so that means he will need to likely get no less than a 3.7 or so his Freshman year if he goes to A&M for instance). That degree has value because it is hard and competitive.

My issue is just as a Dad I also want to be supportive of his dreams. I don't want anyone to tell him he can't do something just because of his race or sex. When you go to those schools to visit it is hard not to be impressed, they just exude an aura of exclusivity and excellence even though that aura is more of a veneer the more I look at it. It just fills me with anger seeing him work so hard and knowing he is playing a game rigged against him. It also makes me completely unsympathetic to anyone talking about white/male supremacy or privilege when the reality is the opposite is true, especially for the next generation.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Buck Turgidson
Never mind. Senior moment.
aggie93
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

I just ran across this video of Jordan Peterson and Victor Davis Hanson about the decline of the Ivy League which addresses may points on this thread. It takes a while to get going, so I recommend fast forwarding to the 20 or 23 minute mark. BTW, Hillsdale is discussed as a good alternative around the 50 minute mark.

That's literally the video this thread is about.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Faustus
Owlagdad said:

Rice is 24% Asian. Most are accepted cause they have $$.

34% in this last class.

https://admission.rice.edu/apply/class-profile

The test score ranges breakdown as follows:
SAT Composite
1500 (25 percentile)
1560 (75 percentile)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they were admitted because they had the grades/scores, given that 75% of the class had a 1500 or better on the SAT, unless you're thinking that last 25% were all Asians with bad grades/scores and money.

It's not like they snuck into the school on a football scholarship.
Tabasco
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

I just ran across this video of Jordan Peterson and Victor Davis Hanson about the decline of the Ivy League which addresses may points on this thread. It takes a while to get going, so I recommend fast forwarding to the 20 or 23 minute mark. BTW, Hillsdale is discussed as a good alternative around the 50 minute mark.

Yeah, OP literally included that video in his original post
BluHorseShu
AG
aggie93 said:

Was listening to a fantastic Youtube/Podacast with Jordan Peterson and Victor Davis Hanson on the Downfall of the Ivy Leagues and elite colleges. Lots of great discussion and information but one thing hit home for me as I have a son that is a very bright HS Sophomore that we visited Stanford and he absolutely loved it though he knows even with a great resume it's a reach. The campus is amazing and being in the heart of Silicon Valley and seeing everyone biking just hooked him along with being an elite Engineering school. I just didn't realize just how difficult they have now made it for those of us that are melanin challenged.

Hanson said that Stanford had made changes years ago to have admissions reflect the composition of the country which meant 12% Black students and 65% White for instance. However post George Floyd they have drastically shifted those numbers. For the coming year they are planning a class that is 23% White with 54% of that being Female. So between Legacy and Athletics admission there is virtually no chance for a Middle Class White Male to gain admission. He also said that to accomplish this they have leaned in heavy on not requiring the SAT and bragged about how they DENIED 70% of students who had a perfect 1600 SAT score. Complete insanity.

They of course talked about the consequences of this and how this is already devaluing the degrees from elite schools but it is going to accelerate rapidly. The reason those degrees have been so valued was because of their selectivity but now they have moved almost completely away from merit as the primary driver of admissions. They also spoke about Asian admissions and the issues there but really the larger bias is toward Middle Class White Males. They have also eliminated all merit based scholarships so you if you have low income you essentially go for free, if you are a rich legacy you just write the check, and if you are middle class you pay $80k per year.

It just sickens me as a Dad and makes me torn as to whether or not to tell my son just how much harder it will be for him purely because of his skin color. In the end my son will be fine and he loves A&M as well and is looking at other schools and he is smart and hard working. Anyone that pushes this "white supremacy" and "white privilege" crap though can kiss my ass as this is outright racism.

I'm not refuting this...but just a cursory look at Stanfords demographics and 'White' has only made up about 25% of their student population for some time. Admittedly, I couldn't find what it was 10-15 years ago, but it looks like their admissions goals have already been accomplished if the article is correct. I'd be interested to know when the last time Stanford had greater than 60% of their student population white. I'm guessing in the 80's. The largest majority seems to be Asian. Either way, if you don't apply, its a 100% guarantee you won't get in. Nothing to lose except the application cost (which granted isn't cheap).
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

It is wrong to discriminate based on race and gender. Always has been. Always will be.

This.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.