Bullet Train is Back!

17,230 Views | 273 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sgt. Schultz
AggieCo2023
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://original.newsbreak.com/@jalyn-smoot-1588339/2898655750882-texas-supreme-court-ruling-paves-way-for-30-billion-dollar-dallas-to-houston-bullet-train

Apologies if there already was a thread, but exciting news from the Texas Supreme Court who gave life to this project connecting Dallas and Houston. It also will include a stop in Brazos County which will be helpful for students from each of those cities which is probably 40% of the student body. Hopefully this is completed soon and gives Texans other (quicker) alternatives between the two cities. Should help further our economy as more and more companies are moving their HQ's and production here.
swampdog01
AG
With all due respect to the ag tag, this is horrible news and an awful precedent.
Demosthenes81
AG

Charles Hickson Knows
What is the max amount of land we should cover in concrete and asphault? Max number of trees we should remove? At what point does the economy take a back-seat to more important things? Perhaps it never will?

Disclosure needs to happen soon.
Our thoughts on the current controlled EXTRATERRESTRIAL reality disclosure process and related US GOV cover-up? Once the uneasy, contagious giggling subsides, how will our civilization and the mislead sheep adapt to this publicly known reality? Are the good Shepherds withholding the truth in our best interest? Perhaps multiple species are involved?
AggieCo2023
Care to elaborate?
AggieCo2023
While I share these concerns this will certainly require less land and concrete than another highway expansion project. I've trailed on many long distance trains that manage to maintain the natural landscape very well. In the Alps for example.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
2023 needs better representation.
Malibu
Southwest round-trip Lovefield to Hobby $240.
Bullet train $30B / $240 = 125,000,000 round trips.
DFW and Houston metro combined populations: 15 million
Round trips per person: 8.3

For the same cost as building the bullet train we could give every single person living in the Houston and Dallas metros eight round trip flights on Southwest. What a bargain for the Texas tax payer.
DallasAg 94
AggieCo2023
Then what happens after those 8 free flights lol? Also not sure if I want any Southwest flights after their holiday fiasco
TyHolden
AG
swampdog01
AG
Eminent domain should not be allowed for a 200 mile choo choo train that will serve less than 1% of the state population.
Take that 30 billion and add 2 lanes to IH45 would be more effective use of capital, and not involve stealing land from rural Texans.
ProgN
Elon's Hyperloop is the future. This is a foolish endeavor if they follow through with it.
AggieCo2023
So eminent domain for more highways isn't stealing land; only when it's for trains? Also what about the millions of Texans who don't own cars are they just not allowed to get around?
ATX_AG_08
AG
Didn't this fail epically in California? And with some federal funding?
AggieVictor10
AG
A hyperloop vehicle that can hold a lot of people would be awesome.
Less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Who's footing the bill?

The real issue is people who's land will be divided by the rail and the likelihood of inadequet crossings for them to access their property and the likelihood of reduced productivity. You can have "normal" RR crossings for HSR. Further eminent domain requires the taker to pay fair market value, but that will be a highly contested fight per parcel.

Lastly, the terminus of each end will be an issue. The rail line won't be going into downtown Houston or Dallas which will excaberare the last mile issue. And they will probably have to be built along existing RR ROWs, so you can look at a map to figure out where the lines may be and finally, they can't run normal freight on HSR lines.

Just have to look at the history of CAs massive HSR failures to see what future pitfalls may come.
aTm '99
AggieCo2023
I trust Texans can handle a project better that Californians
Malibu
AggieCo2023 said:

Texas doesn't have the same topography issues that California does which makes things slightly easy. But in your first post you talked about how this could go through Bryan College Station. That should be the first lightbulb moment that Texas politicians are not that different than California politicians. The California rail plan ended up going to Lancaster, Fresno, and Modesto, which are not point to point hubs for LA to San Francisco. If you're already saying we can just detour to Bryan College Station I can guarantee you every two bit politician who can sit on the blue ribbon panel of deciding where the rail gets built will want their pork. Waco is going to want in on the action. So are a whole host of other minor cities.

This project will be doomed
F2Aggie
AG
They could walk, obesity is a real problem.
We can add a pedestrian lane.

Kill 2 birds with one stone.
TyHolden
AG
Why not just tunnel it?
Old Army Ghost
AggieCo2023 said:

Care to elaborate?
bullet trains wont work in america

this isnt japan or europe

care to elaborate
Old Army has gone to hell.
TomFoolery
AG
AggieCo2023 said:

So eminent domain for more highways isn't stealing land; only when it's for trains? Also what about the millions of Texans who don't own cars are they just not allowed to get around?

Not allowed? Who's preventing them from doing anything? People don't have a right to transportation methods that they should expect the government to give it to them. If they did why wouldn't we just expect the government to buy them cars instead of building them a train?
deddog
AG
AggieCo2023 said:

Government is government.

Everywhere.
If this is completely private, it's one thing.
if it's paid for by taxpayers, it will be the same exact boondogle as it is in California
GAC06
AG
This boondoggle already disbanded did it not?
AggieCo2023
There's literally perfect functioning trains in several other states lol. Why can't Texas do something Japan and Europe can?
Fightin_Aggie
AG
AggieCo2023 said:

Well monorail bullet trains are about graft corruption and greed so that is highly unlikely
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
AggieCo2023
Texas Central is a PRIVATE company… why you hate capitalism?
Old Army Ghost
AggieCo2023 said:

There's literally perfect functioning trains in several other states lol. Why can't Texas do something Japan and Europe can?
lol

texas isnt the northeast corridor which is the [u]only[/u] profitable passenger train sector in the usa
TomFoolery
AG
AggieCo2023 said:

I said nothing about my support or lack of support for the train project itself. Just interested in why not allowing for a train would be the same as "not allowing" people without cars to travel.
Old Army Ghost
AggieCo2023 said:

lol

private companies dont get eminent domain
unmade bed
This Texas Supreme Court is trash on real property law and has been for last couple of years
swampdog01
AG
The highway is already there. And if it could involve acquiring land on existing right of way, then the answer is "yes" I am more in favor of a public highway usable by a majority of the population than a bullet train that is useful to few people.
As for 'millions' of Texans without
transportation, I dispute that there are more than a few thousand citizens that 1. Need to commute to/from dfw and Houston that 2. Don't have a vehicle and can't afford to travel by existing options
F2Aggie
AG
AggieCo2023 said:

Yes. The Houston Metro is a profitable, rider heavy train functioning close to where the bullet train will start/end.
one safe place
AggieCo2023 said:

"Millions of Texans who don't own cars?" Are you counting those too young to drive? If they don't own cars, they already don't get around, nor likely do they need to. They surely don't have much reason to ride a bullet train between Houston and Dallas. Apparently, they don't have any way to get to the station anyway.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.