Phantom Carbon Credits (scandal)

2,298 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by fightingfarmer09
fightingfarmer09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jan/18/revealed-forest-carbon-offsets-biggest-provider-worthless-verra-aoe

Quote:

The forest carbon offsets approved by the world's leading certifier and used by Disney, Shell, Gucci and other big corporations are largely worthless and could make global heating worse, according to a new investigation.

The research into Verra, the world's leading carbon standard for the rapidly growing $2bn (1.6bn) voluntary offsets market, has found that, based on analysis of a significant percentage of the projects, more than 90% of their rainforest offset credits among the most commonly used by companies are likely to be "phantom credits" and do not represent genuine carbon reductions.

This crap is more common than we know. Speaking as someone whose company buys into this stuff at the corporate level.
jt2hunt
AG
Scam likely!!!
Manhattan
Any carbon credit or environmental BS without additionaloty is absolutely BS.
CDUB98
AG
The entire carbon credit swap market is nothing more than a shell game.
YouBet
AG
Lol. No ***** Everyone with common sense said this years ago.

Carbon trading is the dumbest f'ing scheme that has been concocted by the green whackos. Fake, untraceable metric based on faked data and science. Double dumb!
Bird Poo
AG
Manhattan said:

additionaloty

Leftist making up new words to justify their scams.

This does not make you a smart leftist.
YouBet
AG
Salesforce caught up in this in reading the article. They aren't having a good few weeks. Good job Benioff. Investing money in idiocy such as this and buying Time magazine or whichever leftist rag it was.
SunrayAg
AG
ALL carbon credits are a scam.

The carbon scam in a nutshell…

I'm going to a bar tonight and drinking 20 beers.

Then I'm going to drive home.

But I'm not driving home impaired, because I sent 20 bucks to a friend who doesn't drink, to agree not to drink tonight.

So I have purchased his sobriety credits.

And that makes me not impaired.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Watched the King of the Hill episode this morning that was this very topic. Back in 2008, Buck Strickland and Dale already figured this out. Here we have climate idiots 15 years later and they still don't know any better.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
lead
additionaloty
Enviroag02
AG
There is so much un-informed investment pressure for companies to make iron clad reduction and net zero goals when calculation methodology is based on factors not measurement and they are constantly changing and now the back end carbon credit strategy to get to net zero is proven a scam?

Whodathunkit

The EPA actually proposed pipeline leak factors that had protected (cathodic) steel higher leak rate than unprotected. Yeah ok!

DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Maroon Dawn
AG
In other news the DNC announces an end to carbon credits and replaces it with a simpler, easier to understand "Legitimate Businessman's Protection Fee" that all businesses will be required to pay if they don't want to suffer an unfortunate accident
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Anyone surprised by this should google RIN fraud. Biodiesel credits that were literally forged and sold into the market.
bonfarr
AG
There was a guy showcased on American Greed that had a carbon credit scam going, he started a company and sold credits to corporations and did absolutely nothing but take the money. He bought a big ass house and cars and only got busted when his neighbor phoned in a tip to the IRS because the guy had like 10 cars that cost over $100 k each parked on the street all the time.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
AGHouston11
AG
Is like the ridiculous BS when you rent a car you can pay some extra to offset your carbon footprint
captkirk
AG
Global warming is a scam. HTHs
lead
Link?
Ginormus Ag
AG
Why can't I ever come up with or be involved in a good scam like this? I guess I just don't know the right people.
Agsrback12
I bet it makes some "dumb" "wacko" a lot of money tho. It is a scam but it makes money thus an industry was born. Those don't go away. Legislating to their bidding however, must go way.
doubledog
One should buy some east Texas swamp land and plant pine trees as carbon credits. Of course most of the trees would not make it through the winter (due to the way you would plant them) so that the whole thing could begin again in the spring.
Actual Talking Thermos
(scandal)
vansprinkle
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

My sister was looking to buy one of those laptops where you buy one and they build and send one to a child in Africa.

I asked her how the kid was going to eat the laptop. She was like... "WHAT?!" I said if you want to help starving kids in Africa... send them chickens... not laptops.

She didn't buy the laptop.

It dawned on her that what poor people needed was food and electricity.

Yeah, but the laptop would have taught the kids how to sustainably farm and compassionately slaughter and butcher the chickens.

Give a man a fish and he will soon starve.
Give Jesus and fish and he will feed the community… or something like that.
bmks270
AG
Auditing and verification of carbon accounting is going to be a big industry.
Mas89
AG
doubledog said:

One should buy some east Texas swamp land and plant pine trees as carbon credits. Of course most of the trees would not make it through the winter (due to the way you would plant them) so that the whole thing could begin again in the spring.
Actually that is called a wetland mitigation bank. They have the trees planted measured every year and get a certain amount of credits according to the growth. Many of these projects in southeast Texas.
JonSnow
Biggest scam ever. Buy worthless land in Africa. Draw up a business plan to burn tires or strip mine. The more destructive the better. Then sell carbon credits to not do it.
TRADUCTOR
FYI: Not possible to offset your carbon in the real world.
Ginormus Ag
AG
How about this?

You pay me $100,000 and I won't fart for a year?
bmks270
AG
Tree growth offsets are rather pathetic, it would take trillions of trees to offset human CO2 emission. Planting trees is a feel good thing that doesn't make a dent in the atmospheric CO2 levels.
MouthBQ98
AG
Selling you your own sanctimony at a premium…
lb3
AG
Some carbon credits aren't a scam. They're intended to reduce global population.

Do these charts look similar?

It's almost as if there were a correlation between crop yields and CO2 consumption.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
So giving millions of dollars to an African Warlord to plant trees doesn't actually work to get trees planted?

Giving Al Gore another million to fly around in his private jet to speak on global warming doesn't help global warming?

Who would have known
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
fightingfarmer09
Development of hybrid corn (beginning in the 1930s) had a hell of a lot more to do with yield increases.

The first big introduction was in the 1940s and 1950s.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.