Democrats dislike Orthodox Jews and Republicans really dislike Islam/Muslims

2,279 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by NCNJ1217
2012heisman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggiepanic95
AG
bot
Actual Talking Thermos
Kind of surprised Republicans have such a negative view of Buddhists. Assuming you don't live in like Myanmar, what did a Buddhist ever do to you?
sleepybeagle
AG
So... Democrats hate more (or like less) by a score of 18 to 10.

p.s. why isn't Mormonism on the list? did I miss it?
Tramp96
Us Lutherans must be doing something right to get a -4 from the democrats.

Maybe if we work harder at it, we can get that to -double digits by next year.
DeSantis 2024
Buck Turgidson
Democrats are Satanic filth.
Actual Talking Thermos
sleepybeagle said:

p.s. why isn't Mormonism on the list? did I miss it?

-27 Dem, -12 Rep.

You have to click to expand it.
APHIS AG
When you have a religion that likes to blow up people because they are not a member of that religion, everyone should dislike them.
Not a Bot
AG
How many people really even know what those specific protestant denominations even believe? Does your average progressive agnostic or conservative cultural non-practicing Christian really even know the difference between a Baptist, a Methodist, a Presbyterian, and a Lutheran? Also interesting that Democrats tend to not have a strongly disfavorable view of anyone, except for Baptists.

How many people surveyed had even heard of Falun Gong?

A Net Full of Jello
AG
Tramp96 said:

And what's the Dem issue with the Amish?
ValleyRatAg
AG
Looks like we can all agree on on Methodism, Assemblies of God, and Episcopalians.

We all seem to dislike Falun Gong.
Faustus
Satanism and the Church of Scientology are close at -102 to -106 across parties. How bad does your messaging have to be to for that to happen?

Satan needs better help.

Faustus
A Net Full of Jello said:

Tramp96 said:

Probably the same (-1) with Orthodox Judaism (-3). Liberal women who are free to do anything men can do probably don't have a favorable view of religions that inhibit that freedom and I don't blame them, regardless of whether the participants are ostensibly all on board. The Lutheran result is more funny as pointed out above (-4), and all but negligible to indifference.

The poll is disingenuous in that it gives varying degrees of conservatism and flavors for Judaism and Christianity, but considers Islam, Hinduism, etc. to be monolithic.

It doesn't even break Islam into Shiite and Sunni (much less Alawite, Druze, etc.). Then you have the various degrees of fundamentalism/liberalism amongst the sects, from the conservative fundamentalists wahhabis/salafis to the mystics practicing Sufism.

Just giving the almost 2 billion followers of Islam two categories (fundamentalist Muslims and Muslims) would have seen more nuanced results like the two afforded the 15 million practicing Judaism. Hindu nationalist vs Hindu (I'm clearly less versed here).

Of course libs aren't going to say some other part of the world's largest religions are bad in general across the board (I guess apart from the same disdain for Islam (-5) they have for Lutherans (-4)).

Pretty disappointing about the Sikh score in the tweet to the extent we're taking this as gospel. You'd have to think it's a carryover from the turban thing, although you'd have to know what a Sikh was to know they wore turbans. Why would they be looked at as more unfavorable by both parties than Hindus?

The various Christian sects look to be scorned or favored in at least some correlation to their popularity. It's kind of funny that both parties ostensibly disfavor the Church of the Latter Day Saints more than Falon Gong.
Faustus
For purposes of my having posted three times and edited more let's consider the tweet with the table of numbers and categories definitive instead of some random tweet.
agent-maroon
AG

Tramp96 said:

The Amish are self sufficient boot strap kind of people who maintain traditional values and morality. The dems absolutely hate that kind of thing
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Gradaggie05
AG
Probably because the only "Buddhists" they've met are the suburban white women in yoga pants who've decided that they are Buddhists.

Actual Talking Thermos said:

Kind of surprised Republicans have such a negative view of Buddhists. Assuming you don't live in like Myanmar, what did a Buddhist ever do to you?
TheEternalPessimist
Tramp96 said:

The ELCA is no longer a Christian denomination. Period.

If that is the Lutheranism Democrats are thinking of - it's no wonder they like them way more than they do Southern Baptists.
--

"The Kingdom is for HE that can TAKE IT!" - Alexander
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
No 5-Point Calvinistic Independent Reformed Baptists?
Gradaggie05
AG
These people are the "vegans/cross-fitters/Tesla owners" of Protestantism. You'll know who they are within five minutes of meeting cause they'll tell you.

Sure, I may be predestined to burn in hell regardless of any personal relationship with Jesus… but do I have to be predestined to have to listen to you?

Doinked Field Goal said:

WBBQ74
AG
Falon Gong guys in white shirts don't show up at my front door every 3 months or so.
fightingfarmer09
Burdizzo
AG
Tramp96 said:

Considering how much the ELCA is bending over backwards to kiss liberal ass, I don't get this either.
Ernest Tucker
AG
Poor Sikhs hated by everybody because of a mistaken identity
Actual Talking Thermos
Ernest Tucker said:

Poor Sikhs hated by everybody because of a mistaken identity
I really don't know anything about the tenets of Sikhism beyond the very visible beard/turban/knife part, but I have known exactly two Sikhs and they were both super cool and chill dudes.
agent-maroon
AG
Same. The Sikhs I've encountered have been good people. Some really unfortunate associations made because of the turbans that they wear.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nortex97
AG
Democrats are ignorant and/or self-loathing is pretty much demonstrably true across any issue.
TexAgs91
AG
Quote:

Democrats literally have a more favorable view of wicca/witches than of Orthdox Judaism/Jews.

Does that include Democrat Jews?
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
BigRobSA

Tramp96 said:

Or Rs with Sikhs ?
erudite
Oh wow the GOP supposedly hate me supposedly so much I'm in 5th place? Where's my participation trophy!
Pretty sure I've never never met a democrat that liked me though....
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
You are Amish? How are you typing?
TxTarpon
Actual Talking Thermos said:

"Budda was not a Christian, but Jesus would have made a good Buddist."- Ray Wylie Hubbard
TxTarpon
Buck Turgidson said:

Democrats are Satanic filth.
God Love ya Bucky T!
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Gradaggie05 said:

These people are the "vegans/cross-fitters/Tesla owners" of Protestantism. You'll know who they are within five minutes of meeting cause they'll tell you.

Sure, I may be predestined to burn in hell regardless of any personal relationship with Jesus… but do I have to be predestined to have to listen to you?

Doinked Field Goal said:

Bro, less John Piper and David Platt and more John Bunyan and Charlie Spurgeon.
NCNJ1217
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

It's a big exercise in Family Feud but with religious terms. The responses correspond to the level of knowledge of the persons taking the survey.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.