WTH happened to gas prices?

6,146 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by P.U.T.U
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
About month ago a gallon of regular was $2.69. Now I'm seeing $3.15 all over the place. What happened?
Ragoo
AG
The government isn't releasing reserves to artificially create supply.
Rapier108
Election is over.

The government is no longer using the SPR to keep help the Democrats and is now having to buy oil to refill the SPR so taking oil off the market.
C@LAg
Ragoo said:

real easing
so are they fake easing it?
MouthBQ98
AG
The huge SPR releases stopped and there's been some realignment in consumption, namely it is heating oil season, amongst other things.
Franklin Comes Alive!
Another cornpop miracle
Dan Scott
AG
US dollar is down from the highs and China is opening up.
Muy
AG
Rapier108 said:

Election is over.

The government is no longer using the SPR to keep help the Democrats and is now having to buy oil to refill the SPR so taking oil off the market.

Aka the only solution Biden thought about to lower gas prices. Rob Peter to pay Paul, as usual.
Gator92
AG
Freeze in December forced several gulf coast refining shut downs.

ETA...

So climate change...
geoag58
AG
This is the direct result of leftists doing things to affect production at the beginning of bidens term. The left is intentionally trying to damage the economy.
Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Rapier108 said:

Election is over.

This. A bunch of posters here called it before the election. It was so obvious what they were doing with the SPR.
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
schmellba99
AG
Rapier108 said:

Election is over.

Except we arent even filling reserves last i checked. So even worse.
pacecar02
Huh, I thought draining the SPR and other policies would have fixed the problem, weird
beanbean
ABATTBQ11 said:

About month ago a gallon of regular was $2.69. Now I'm seeing $3.15 all over the place. What happened?
The White House mouthpiece already answered this.....she said it's republicans fault we are paying higher prices.
Ragoo
AG
C@LAg said:

Ragoo said:

real easing
so are they fake easing it?
releasing

Sorry on the typo
Buck Turgidson
Dan Scott said:

US dollar is down from the highs and China is opening up.

This is the big change in the last month or so. Will probably worsen as we head into summer driving season.
TheCurl84
AG
I'm convinced the math behind gas prices is too complex for me.
The Dirty Sock
LOS PUTIN!!!!!!!!
YouBet
AG
Still not convinced SPR had much of any impact here. How many cents per gallon did it account for one way or the other?
fka ftc
YouBet said:

Still not convinced SPR had much of any impact here. How many cents per gallon did it account for one way or the other?
Seriously? It had zero impact. THe market is much much broader and more volatile than the SPR can ever impact.

ANd when it was cheaper a few weeks ago Biden declined to fill it back up a little. Why?

SPR spigot was a head fake by Biden that seems to mostly have worked. MSM and all...
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Dan Scott
AG
SPR basically added 1M barrels of the oil to market. Without it, especially in the first few months where there was a big fear premium in the market, oil would have gone to $150. Probably saved .50/gallon. There's a reason OPEC was pissed about it.
YouBet
AG
fka ftc said:

YouBet said:

Seriously? It had zero impact. THe market is much much broader and more volatile than the SPR can ever impact.

ANd when it was cheaper a few weeks ago Biden declined to fill it back up a little. Why?

SPR spigot was a head fake by Biden that seems to mostly have worked. MSM and all...
That's always been my take which is why I always ask the question.

I remember when Obama was going to do this when oil prices skyrocketed above $100. (I was heavily into tracking this at the time for work because it directly impacted us).

Even left leaning economists at the time said it was a pointless, political endeavor that would do nothing. That has either been memory holed or everyone simply forgot.

It doesn't move the needle. All he managed to do was drain it while virtue signaling.
Secolobo
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Elections have consequences…
halfastros81
AG
I'd say perception/reality of a shrinking economy has had some negative impact on demand. To some degree it's discretionary spending. Inflation on other non discretionary items like food , power , clothing also leaves less for discretionary gas spending. As someone also mentioned, gasoline supply has also recovered some after the big freeze event .

Diesel on the other hand hasn't moved nearly as much because of steadier demand.
C@LAg
Secolobo said:

Selections Elections have consequences…
FIFY
Ag87H2O
AG
Rapier108 said:

Election is over.

Yep. And wait to see what happens later this year when they have to go back to a summer blend.

Once again, Biden and the Democrats played their minions for fools, and they're pretty much right. They know their gullible constituents will fall for anything they say as long as they keep promising them largesse from public funds.
74OA
AG
Here's what AAA says is causing the rise. PRICES
JohnLA762
AG
Inb4 "the economy is booming and people have so much discretionary income, they are spending freely driving up gas prices/inflation" idiots.

C@LAg
74OA said:

It is freaking late January.

No One is
taking advantage of the recent milder weather in much of the nation by fueling up and hitting the road.
74OA
AG
C@LAg said:

74OA said:

It is freaking late January.

No One is
taking advantage of the recent milder weather in much of the nation by fueling up and hitting the road.
Forgive me if I trust AAA's expertise over your opinion.
Mulberrywildman
AG
Do we have a thread from that "wbtnumbernumbernumber" guy mentioning how we need to reapply the gas pump stickers he said we needed to remove when gas dropped a few cents?
AggieVictor10
AG
Biden ruined it.
Less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real.
OaklandAg06
AG
Republicans took over the house so now a recession is imminent and gas prices are shooting up.

/liberal media
AGHouston11
AG
The conditioning has happened- it's not even really news now
We think 2.95 is cheap
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.