Ted Cruz proposes constitutional amendment for term limits

5,666 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BTKAG97
Science Denier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Daily Caller

Quote:

EXCLUSIVE: Ted Cruz Introduces Legislation To Impose Term Limits For Congress
Why do this? It's got zero chance at a constitutional amendment. There is a better chance that Shila Jackson Lee becomes a Republican than this passing 2/3'rds both House and Senate.

Is it just grand standing? Is he at risk from losing his seat next election? Does he think there will be real conversation about this? I've not seen any major network carrying this, and I've not seen any major publication carrying it either.
LOL OLD
Aggie95
AG
it needs to happen. How else do you start the process?
Rapier108
Aggie95 said:

Convention of the states is the only other way.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
It's like mandating a vaccine using OSHA. Of course it will die, but start chipping away like they always do.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
aTmAg
AG
He's trying to force a vote so everybody has to go on record. He's not expecting this to get ratified.
The Banned
aTmAg said:

He's trying to force a vote so everybody has to go on record. He's not expecting this to get ratified.

This. An attempt at campaign fodder in 24
Ag87H2O
AG
Most legislation doesn't pass quickly. It often takes multiple sessions, reintroducing it again and again, having the debate, framing the issue, and building support for the day down the road when it does stand a chance.

Short of a crisis, which the Democrats often use to move legislation quickly, politics is mostly playing the long game, persevering, and being relentless.

It's also setting up the issue for the next campaign. Force the opponent to take what will likely be an unpopular stand with the public.
tysker
AG
If only the voters had a way to remove a politician they don't like from office
BMX Bandit
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

It's like mandating a vaccine using OSHA. Of course it will die, but start chipping away like they always do.
just like it, other than one being following a constitutional process and the other being in violation of the constitution. so yeah, pretty much the same.
atmtws
AG
Perhaps a simple way to get this passed, is to make it not apply to anybody currently serving (and if you lose reelection, but later get elected back, the rule will apply). That way anyone new coming in will have term limits. Though, that could create super powerful members who have their reelections locked up. Maybe enact term limits for those for committees they serve on.
DrEvazanPhD
Ag87H2O said:

Most legislation doesn't pass quickly. It often takes multiple sessions, reintroducing it again and again, having the debate, framing the issue, and building support for the day down the road when it does stand a chance.

Short of a crisis, which the Democrats often use to move legislation quickly, politics is mostly playing the long game, persevering, and being relentless.

It's also setting up the issue for the next campaign. Force the opponent to take what will likely be an unpopular stand with the public.
Except for these boondoggle omnibus bills seem to get passed with relative ease.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
"What has Ted Cruz ever done for America? What a loser."

then

"Why is Ted Cruz proposing legislation that has a low chance of passing? What a loser."

The problem with congress isn't Ted Cruz.
Aggie95
AG
tysker said:

things are not like they used to be. The impact of legislation across states is too great. I can't vote someone out in NY or CA, but they can impact my life. More so, it SHOULD get it back to serving the people for 2 years or 6 years and not a career.
Texas Tea
AG
He's brought it up multiple times in the past:

With DeSantis in 2017

Again in 2021

Unfortunately, this effort will suffer the same fate as his other attempts. For the life of me, I can't understand why this doesn't gain traction with the electorate on both sides. I understand why the career politicians won't support it...can't afford to give up the gravy train.
rausr
AG
Chuck Grassley thinks that smacks of ageism.

IndividualFreedom
True Conservatives Yes. Establishment No's.

Create the list and vote accordingly.
Martin Q. Blank
So he's not going to seek reelection in 2024?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

just like it, other than one being following a constitutional process and the other being in violation of the constitution. so yeah, pretty much the same.
Sorry, poor legislative example. I was going for concept. Initially even most of the overlords knew the OSHA thing wasn't going to fly just like this won't. But as others have pointed out, you need to start eroding the mountain a little at a time.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Tom Doniphon
The Cruz haters will still cling to, "he hasn't done anything," despite him being the most intelligent and conservative member of either house.
Science Denier
AG
Aggie95 said:

Obamacare needed to be repealed. When Republicans knew it wouldn't pass, they voted for it a ton. But, when they had the actual power to do so, they didn't repeal it.

That's the definition of grandstanding.

Seems that's the case here.
LOL OLD
samurai_science
Martin Q. Blank said:

So he's not going to seek reelection in 2024?
Hope so, not many out of the 100 Senators are worth a damn and term limits are not in place yet.
samurai_science
Tom Doniphon said:

The Cruz haters will still cling to, "he hasn't done anything," despite him being the most intelligent and conservative member of either house.
Correct, he is one of 100 in the Senate
B-1 83
AG
The Banned said:

aTmAg said:

This. An attempt at campaign fodder in 24
Can he get it to a vote with the Ds in charge of the Senate? Hell, could he get it a vote with the Rs in control?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Kenneth_2003
AG
Hint...
It's not the first time he's proposed this. Pretty sure he does it every year, or at least every election cycle.
aTmAg
AG
There are Ds who are for term limits too
samurai_science
Kenneth_2003 said:

Hint...
It's not the first time he's proposed this. Pretty sure he does it every year, or at least every election cycle.
Good, that's his job
Dimebag Darrell
P.H. Dexippus said:

"What has Ted Cruz ever done for America? What a loser."

then

"Why is Ted Cruz proposing legislation that has a low chance of passing? What a loser."

The problem with congress isn't Ted Cruz.
"Did you hear he went to Mexico during a heavy cold front? MEXICO!!! Should be tried for treason!!!" /all white libs
Maroon Dawn
AG
Good Cruz

I don't care that Congress "doesn't want it"
Texas Tea
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Hint...

I posted two other instances of him proposing term limits, neither of which I would consider occurring during an election cycle…nor would I consider this one.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Sorry, missed your post when I skimmed.

I think he does it immediately following the election, when the new session starts.
aggie93
AG
tysker said:

You greatly underestimate the amount of things that incumbents have done to protect themselves and make it incredibly difficult to remove them. A huge percentage of the House and Senate are in Safe Districts or States where it is almost impossible for them to lose barring a major screw up or a unicorn candidate.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Texas Tea
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Sorry, missed your post when I skimmed.

I think he does it immediately following the election, when the new session starts.

You are correct. I just wanted to point out that it doesn't appear to me that he's trying to make it a campaign issue although I think he should.
Kansas Kid
tysker said:

While there in theory is a way, being an incumbent gives someone a massive advantage in terms of fund raising, name recognition, and using the governments own money to help buy the next election through crap like earmarks and handouts.

You can't honestly tell me that over 90% of house reps win re-election every 2 years because they are the most qualified person in their district.
aggie93
AG
Science Denier said:

Aggie95 said:

Obamacare needed to be repealed. When Republicans knew it wouldn't pass, they voted for it a ton. But, when they had the actual power to do so, they didn't repeal it.

That's the definition of grandstanding.

Seems that's the case here.
It only takes a few with a close Senate in order to stop a bill, for Obamacare it was McCain who was the monster sellout. You can throw out all Republicans if you want I suppose but it's a hell of a lot more complicated. A huge problem as well is McConnell is such a Swamp creature. I wonder which Senator has stood up the most to him and led a campaign to get rid of him this year?
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
BQ78
AG
Exactly and voters should take note of who votes against it and make sure they are never re-elected again but sadly that will not happen.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.