Murder or no?

20,857 Views | 302 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Stasco
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Funky Winkerbean
AG
No..he was threatened as soon as the guy jumped over the counter.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
MouthBQ98
AG
As much as I utterly dispose property crimes like theft, did they have arms, make a threat of force, or initiate an attack on his person, or were they just trying a grab and run?

I'd agree if they came at him into reach and he was outnumbered he definitely had a right to defend a perceived threat. The question is if he can pursue to continue the defense?
black_ice
Very nice kill. I approve. Legal.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
is the thread title murder or no? what a joke.

how about merchant defending property to death.

Rex Racer
AG
The perpetrator was white. Not murder.
12thMan9
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

As much as I utterly dispose property crimes like theft, did they have arms, make a threat of force, or initiate an attack on his person, or were they just trying a grab and run?
Well, at least 1 won't do that again.
Ronnie '88
birdman
"I feared for my safety or safety of others"
Aggie4Life02
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I'd agree if they came at him into reach and he was outnumbered he definitely had a right to defend a perceived threat. The question is if he can pursue to continue the defense?

The thief did have two arms. Hope that helps.
JABQ04
AG
Dude behind the counter looked like he knew wtf he was doing with that knife.
geoag58
AG
I feel sorry for the clerk. I would imagine he didn't know the robbers and surely thought his life was in danger when the guy jumped over the counter.
MemphisAg1
AG
I'm just so sick of criminals killing, hurting, and stealing from innocent people -- and getting a pass from leftist politicians in charge -- that I no longer care about people fighting back with a disproportionate response.

It's going to get worse if the libs don't crack down on crime.
MouthBQ98
AG
I'm not stabbing some fool over $50 because a lawyer costs WAY more than that
Rapier108
Borderline either way. Really going to depend on how the state's law is written. (Personally, I'm not losing any sleep over the guy being killed.)

Biggest question is if the perp displayed a weapon which I didn't see. Also, the perp did not advance on the clerk or even really pay attention to him. He looked to just be trying to grab the smokes.

I think the owner is probably going to be in trouble.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

I'm just so sick of criminals killing, hurting, and stealing from innocent people -- and getting a pass from leftist politicians in charge -- that I no longer care about people fighting back with a disproportionate response.

I'd probably cause the hung jury on this one. Hope more people are coming around to agree.
BigRobSA
Funky Winkerbean said:

True, plus the fact the little white ****stick didn't die.

Not murder
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
GAC06
AG
That was awesome
Gordon Bombay
AG
Defending his castle
Sea Speed
AG
That thief knew he was done for. If only his premonition came just 30 seconds sooner.
aggiepanic95
AG
No!
Dad
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

I feel the same way. Three years ago I would have seen this as a clear case of manslaughter, but with cops and DAs letting the criminals run wild I feel like you should be able to defend your business or personal property with deadly force.
beerad12man
AG
Couldn't care less about thieves lives
tysker
AG
Guy needs one those 'But did you die?' t shirts
AGHouston11
AG
Criminal rights ………..

When you put a mask on and jump over a counter to steal - you knowingly put your life in danger.
Fat Black Swan
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I'd say: (1) a masked man (2) with back up (3) hopping over a barrier into your working space (4) with bad intentions; is a threat worth neutralizing.
SW-14
AG
Good stabbing
oldcrow91
AG
Rapier108 said:

Borderline either way. Really going to depend on how the state's law is written. (Personally, I'm not losing any sleep over the guy being killed.)

Biggest question is if the perp displayed a weapon which I didn't see. Also, the perp did not advance on the clerk or even really pay attention to him. He looked to just be trying to grab the smokes.

I think the owner is probably going to be in trouble.

Someone attacks and I have to wait around to see what kind of weapon if any they possess before I defend myself?

**** that!
Esteban du Plantier
AG
What's ****ty here is he'll be charged and it'll cost him the better part of a million bucks to put up a competent defense and be found not guilty.

Should be calling Branca right now.
Satellite of Love
Funky Winkerbean said:

Nope. Masked man went for the merch. He didn't even look at the store employee.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I'm not stabbing some fool over $50 because a lawyer costs WAY more than that

This is dumb. Idiots come to rob you store. Do you just wait until they pull a gun on you before you decide to defend yourself. Because of that point your life is their hands and you're now at the mercy of some piece of **** criminal.

Kid deserves a medal.
Fat Black Swan
AG
I'd say this was a threatening interaction.

OnlyForNow
AG
He did after he got rushed, then stabbed in the next.

BOOOM!
GAC06
AG
Satellite of Love said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

Nope. Masked man went for the merch. He didn't even look at the store employee.

Thieves deserve death. I would absolutely never side against this dude if I were on the jury.
redcrayon
AG
Not murder. Pretty sure Nevada allows you to defend your property. Plus, I don't think he killed the kid.
Tom Doniphon
Murder? Hell no.

Self defense and 100% legal. As soon as he jumps that counter, he's made a move that is life threatening IMHO.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.