Murder or no?

21,142 Views | 302 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Stasco
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hope so, too.
Stat Monitor Repairman
The Clerk probably wishes he'd have deescalated the situation at the very beginning.

If you asked him right now, thats what he would probably admit.

He might be up **** creek.

It's worse that the kid survived.

This is why you got to have good insurance,

If theres any argument to insure yourself against this kind of risk if you own a retail store, it's this.

They clerk may end up wishing he made a different decision. Thats all I'm saying.

And he could have done a better job with that phone call. That's also not a good look.
Stat Monitor Repairman
TyHolden said:

this - no way he knew what that guy's intentions were.
Yep. Thats exactly right. We in the mind of the clerk now.

Did the clerk think he was in imminent danger …?

Thats the difference between walking around and doing 5-99.
eric76
AG
I kind of like this one:

https://nypost.com/2022/06/09/washington-store-clerk-uses-bug-spray-to-shoo-away-serial-robbery-suspect/

From the link:
Quote:

A fearless Washington gas station clerk stopped a serial armed robbery suspect from holding up her store when she sprayed the would-be thief with bug spray, video shows.

"I was scared. I was just trying to protect myself. I didn't even think to open the register to give him the money. I just wanted him out of my space," Amber Mahley, an employee at the B&B Mart in Vancouver, told KATU.

Surveillance video shows the suspect in all black clothing wearing a cap and a red bandana over his face. He approaches the counter and displays a handgun.

She said he told her to "put the money in the bag"

Without hesitating, she quickly springs to her right and grabs a can of bug spray, which she sprays at him from behind the counter, video shows.

Police said the suspect has always carried a gun during his crime spree over the last three months.
AggieMD95
AG
Dad said:

MemphisAg1 said:

I'm just so sick of criminals killing, hurting, and stealing from innocent people -- and getting a pass from leftist politicians in charge -- that I no longer care about people fighting back with a disproportionate response.

It's going to get worse if the libs don't crack down on crime.

I feel the same way. Three years ago I would have seen this as a clear case of manslaughter, but with cops and DAs letting the criminals run wild I feel like you should be able to defend your business or personal property with deadly force.

Good point. The blood of the dirtbag criminal in this video is at least partially on the hands of the lawyers at the top of the system. They created this monster
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

I feel like you should be able to defend your business or personal property with deadly force.
Thats the rub man.

Thats what I'm trying to tell y'all.

'Feel like you should' can get you 5 to 99.

That's what people got to understand. Thats the lesson here.

This is a perfect example about how **** can go sideways and how fast,
captkirk
AG
Clerk pretty handy with that knife
aggrad02
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

I'm just so sick of criminals killing, hurting, and stealing from innocent people -- and getting a pass from leftist politicians in charge -- that I no longer care about people fighting back with a disproportionate response.

Exactly!!!

And in this climate you have no idea what weapons criminals may have concealed, once you start defending yourself you must continue until the peep is 100% neutralized and you are sure they have no fire arms hidden or you are asking to get shot.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Not gonna lose any sleep over the guy who got stabbed, but based on Nevada law it looks like the clerk is probably in a lot of trouble.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
doubledog
Murder is the unlawful killing of a human being with malice aforethought.

Malice ... No
Aforethought ... No

Manslaughter.. questionable...
Criminally negligent homicide ... No

Artorias
AG
Two men come into the store in masks, and jump the counter, and people are saying the shop owner should not have defended himself?

WTF is wrong with you people?
Johnny04
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

The Clerk probably wishes he'd have deescalated the situation at the very beginning.

If theres any argument to insure yourself against this kind of risk if you own a retail store, it's this.

They clerk may end up wishing he made a different decision. Thats all I'm saying.

And he could have done a better job with that phone call. That's also not a good look.
If business owners are unable to defend against theft, they will be robbed regularly and thus become uninsurable.
Satellite of Love
OnlyForNow said:

He did after he got rushed, then stabbed in the next.

BOOOM!

He never 'got rushed.'

Branca even seems to think the eminent threat of deadly force is missing.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I'm telling ya'll how it is. And y'all talkin about how it should be. Thats two different things.
BuddysBud
AG
FaceMask said:

MemphisAg1 said:

Memphis just elected a Soros DA...be prepared for Chiraq style criminals on the loose.

Why do idiots keep electing DAs who make their areas more dangerous from violent crime?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
The perp takes a swing at him
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
eric76
AG
doubledog said:

Murder is the unlawful killing of a human being with malice aforethought.

Malice ... No
Aforethought ... No

Manslaughter.. questionable...
Criminally negligent homicide ... No

I would think that if they were armed when they went in to rob the store, they would be acting with malac and forethought even if killing anyone wasn't their specific goal.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Johnny04 said:

If business owners are unable to defend against theft, they will be robbed regularly and thus become uninsurable.
Ask CVS.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Mas89
AG
Artorias said:

Two men come into the store in masks, and jump the counter, and people are saying the shop owner should not have defended himself?

WTF is wrong with you people?
This. Was he supposed to wait until he was shot, stabbed, or seriously hurt before he could act?

He should have had a shotgun and used it.
Satellite of Love
Funky Winkerbean said:

After the clerk stabbed him a few times.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Clerk might have been better off if he shot the dude right when he jumped the counter.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Satellite of Love said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

After being ROBBED!
zephyr88
AG
Rex Racer said:

The perpetrator was white. Not murder.
Store owner wasn't white. Not murder.
BuddysBud
AG

The clerk asked them to leave.
Then he let them take the tip jar and other items that they grabbed.
What more should he have done to deescalate the situation.
The clerk was not aggressive and seemed in control until the kid suddenly jumped over the counter.
FrioAg 00
AG
The moment two masked criminals hopped the counter into the enclosed location where the clerk was, the clerk had reasonable fear for his life. Period.

This was super justified. And I hope his family watched this video and felt the full weight of their failure to raise someone to make good choices.
Satellite of Love
Esteban du Plantier said:

Satellite of Love said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

After being ROBBED!

Again this is what the law on the books. Not your personal feelings.

I loathe thieves and wish nothing but the worst for them but when within the realm of the law the clerk isn't in the clear.
One Louder
AG
Can we all just take a moment to be thankful the clerk didnt have a *gun*? Things could have gotten very dangerous...
One Louder
AG
"Rules" and the "law" have been rendered irrelevant by leftists.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
One Louder said:

Can we all just take a moment to be thankful the clerk didnt have a *gun*? Things could have gotten very dangerous...
AK..assault knife
Thomas Sowell
ChrisTAMU
AG
With what, exactly?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Hypothetically

If clerk shoots when the dude first jumped the counter, the clerk would be better off.

But instead he runs towards him and stabs him in the back with a knife.

Thats two different things, and that's what y'all don't appreciate.
ChrisTAMU
AG
Are you an attorney or just pretending? Your grammar tells me you're not an attorney.
Aggie Joe 93
AG

Hypothetically

If clerk shoots when the dude first jumped the counter, the clerk would be better off.

But instead he runs towards him and stabs him in the back with a knife.

Thats two different things, and that's what y'all don't appreciate.

Not if I'm on the jury. Unyielding 'not guilty' vote from me. Best prosecution could hope for would be a hung jury.

Regardless of judge instruction, I could never punish someone for not following the idiotic "you have to wait until someone is currently trying to kill you before you use lethal force in self-defense".

If clerk only has a knife to defend himself, is he supposed to just stay back and wait till the perp draws a gun to die? Is he supposed to wait till he's sure the perp won't just shoot him in the leg? Closing the gap to be able to use his own weapon, in advance of it being too late, to defend is no extra problem to me.
agdad4x
Is this related to the joke about the guys that walk into a bar ?

these idiots walked into a store with mask on - in my part of Texas, they would have been shot within three steps, four max !!
Adverse Event
Ags4DaWin said:

Rapier108 said:

Borderline either way. Really going to depend on how the state's law is written. (Personally, I'm not losing any sleep over the guy being killed.)

Biggest question is if the perp displayed a weapon which I didn't see. Also, the perp did not advance on the clerk or even really pay attention to him. He looked to just be trying to grab the smokes.

I think the owner is probably going to be in trouble.
You right.

I see the clerk as the aggressor here. yes...the clerk walked up on two innocently masked kids, forced one of them to jump the counter.

I'm pretty sure he has a duty to retreat here. ummm there was no exit. Did you not see that the guy jumping the counter was between the clerk and the employee area. His accomplice was at the store entrance. The clerk had nowhere to retreat to.

He wasn't in imminent danger of serious bodily harm … imo.so you knew for certain the second you saw those two thugs wearing masks and baggy clothes that they did not have a gun on them or a knife? You wanna bet your life on that? I mean, I know you're willing to bet the clerk's life on that- i mean its not your life so that's real easy for you to do with all the authority of a beer bellied Monday Morning quarterback-...but would you bet YOUR life? How about if there was even a 1% one of these thugs had a knife on them...would you take the chance and hope that this one was not the one time out of a hundred? Or is your life worth that 1% chance?

Bottom line is he ran towards the guy. there were two of them. They had separated. He had no idea what all they were going to do...he had a chance to defend himself 1 on 1 with one of the robbers when the thug jumped the counter and neutralize that threat so that after that instead of 2 on 1 it was now 1 on 1 and the only remaining threat was the thug near the store entrance. This is a sound tactical decision

You can't use deadly force to defend personal property. At least not in this situation.

So thats the problem the guys got. If somebody brought this case under the right circumstances … I think you in real trouble. Jury might nullify but if they follow the law you might be in real trouble here.maybe but that's only because people like you have been groomed to believe that it's your duty to be a victim before you are allowed to defend yourself and that it is your duty to sit there and take it until a male more masculine than yourself wearing a blue uniform and carrying a badge shows up to do what you're too afraid to do

Everybody on here would have shot the mfer 8 times. I get that.

But,

You got to really look into and think about whats going on here. And it might not be what you think.yeah...this 30 second interaction with masked thieves left the clerk alot of time to sit back and reflect before they robbed the store and jumped the counter. That clerk really should have taken the time to meditate on this situation before reacting to protect himself from the people threatening him. Shame on him for not removing himself from the situation, asking for a brief time out, so he could gather himself and react appropriately to a situation that would have left you with a big wet spot on the front of your trousers.

I have nothing but contempt for your line of thinking. You have obviously never been in a situation like this and know nothing about it.

Sometimes I postulate whether we need to go back to only landowners being able to vote, vested interests and such.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.