Don't test, don't tell: Covid policy for Senate Democrats

4,760 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FTAG 2000
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

In addition, the outlet noted that Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said that they're "not talking about a plan B" and is saying that they'll all "stay healthy."

So if you're sick, suck it up, buttercup.

That's the Democratic standard when they want to get their unpopular bills passed, especially because they're betting on only 50 senators and Vice President Kamala Harris as their tie-breaking vote. They managed to get Sen. Krysten Sinema (D-AZ) on board only on Thursday, as RedState reported, which shows that the bill left some in their own party hesitant for a while.
Link
Owlagdad
And those mofos wanted to throw you and me in jail for leaving the house. This needs to be shouted from the rooftops
tk111
AG
Help me out here - is it not worth filibustering or is there some reason its not applicable?
Ag with kids
AG
tk111 said:

Help me out here - is it not worth filibustering or is there some reason its not applicable?
They're using reconciliation to pass it. No filibuster that way...
aggiehawg
AG
To me, that says they no longer care about covid. Because the Senate does not have the proxy/remote voting like the House does.

Hypocrites.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Imagine trusting anonymous sources
“Not gonna lie...its a little disconcerting to have our minister of positivity be PlaneCrashGuy but Im in"
Get Off My Lawn
The fact that one of the most at risk bodies (octogenarians with constant and varied social interactions) in the world hasn't experienced a die-off is one of the truest testaments to Covid's weakassery to date.
aggiehawg
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

The fact that one of the most at risk bodies (octogenarians with constant and varied social interactions) in the world hasn't experienced a die-off is one of the truest testaments to Covid's weakassery to date.
There was a recently elected congressman from Louisiana that supposedly died from covid before he took office, IIRC.

Tom Doniphon
Are there any liberals on this board that can explain or defend the daily lunacy, deceit, and hypocrisy from their DC overlords?
Maroon Dawn
AG
It so pisses me off that we had even just a slightly left of center media that the Dems would be absolutely unelectable if they actually had to defend their policies and didn't know they could be blatant hypocrites with no one in the MSM who will call them out
johnnyblaze36
AG
aggiehawg said:

To me, that says they no longer care about covid. Because the Senate does not have the proxy/remote voting like the House does.

Hypocrites.
Give them a couple of months.
4stringAg
AG
This should be thrown back in their faces if there's one whiff of changing the voting rules in any state due to concerns about covid this fall.
Ciboag96
They are all pure evil
oh no
AG
murderers.
RoadkillBBQ
Yet their fearless leader signed illegal mandates to force the American public to take experimental vaccines to keep their jobs…….
Houstonag
AG
I hope those who voted for democrats are satisfied now. Incredible stupidity. How did they not know what was going to happen.
Malibu
Houstonag said:

I hope those who voted for democrats are satisfied now. Incredible stupidity. How did they not know what was going to happen.

With this bill? This bill is one of the many reasons that I voted Democrat. 15% minimum corporate tax rate current great. Getting the IRS back to the size it was during the Bush era, great. Medicare negotiating price of prescription drugs and using it as leverage to save the government money, great. Tax credits to transition away from carbon intensive energy, great. Did this board think that every left of center voter all the sudden became a staunch every tax is theft climate change is a hoax republican?

My specific quibbles with this bill are the obvious Orwellian title inflation reduction act, optimistic bookkeeping on IRS enforcement, lack of anything nuclear, and lack of pure research into nuclear and battery that I would love for DARPA / Universities to fund.
jt2hunt
AG
Why
Nothing will happen
Tom Doniphon
NM.

Wrong thread
titan
S
Get Off My Lawn said:

And in some ways, one of the more suspicious elements of the whole thing. You are onto something there. That has been noticed before --- its rather convenient.
Sims
AG
Somebody tell OSHA
jt2hunt
AG
You want the irs bigger Instead of simplifying taxes so that is equal and generates necessary revenues without burdening the populace?
Tom Doniphon
Guys like him are exactly why we need a national divorce.
Sims
AG
Malibu2 said:

Houstonag said:

With this bill? This bill is one of the many reasons that I voted Democrat. 15% minimum corporate tax rate current great. Getting the IRS back to the size it was during the Bush era, great. Medicare negotiating price of prescription drugs and using it as leverage to save the government money, great. Tax credits to transition away from carbon intensive energy, great. Did this board think that every left of center voter all the sudden became a staunch every tax is theft climate change is a hoax republican?

My specific quibbles with this bill are the obvious Orwellian title inflation reduction act, optimistic bookkeeping on IRS enforcement, lack of anything nuclear, and lack of pure research into nuclear and battery that I would love for DARPA / Universities to fund.
I'm going to go ahead and assume the title isn't the only Orwellian thing about the bill. I guess the devil will be in the details.
Malibu
jt2hunt said:

You want the irs bigger Instead of simplifying taxes so that is equal and generates necessary revenues without burdening the populace?

I would rather simplify taxes. So long as the tax code is written by the wealthy to protect the wealthy, somebody has to do the thankless job of asking the wealthy to show their receipts and pony up where they are taking outrageous liberties or outright fraud. If someone on the Senate floor offered a bill to reduce the tax code 50 pages double spaced size 10 font, that bill would have my enthusiastic support.
Tom_Fox
Malibu2 said:

jt2hunt said:

I would rather simplify taxes. So long as the tax code is written by the wealthy to protect the wealthy, somebody has to do the thankless job of asking the wealthy to show their receipts and pony up where they are taking outrageous liberties or outright fraud. If someone on the Senate floor offered a bill to reduce the tax code 50 pages double spaced size 10 font, that bill would have my enthusiastic support.

Flat tax. Everyone pays the same percentage. No exceptions.
An L of an Ag
AG
Karma would be for all of these mother****ers to get monkeypox!
Malibu
I'm not there. But I would support progressive tax rate for some thing like 10% of the first $50,000 and 25% thereafter. Everyone has skin in the game and the working class who sincerely do need to keep more of their money than those of us who make more get a break.
titan
S

Quote:

Hold on a second less it be lost in the noise. The huge irs expansion described you are saying is a size previously seen, and not some special measure of vast extra power? That's interesting and yes relevant if that is what the changes the two Senators imposed. If its not some unprecedent thing, then its not unfamiliar territory as far as the market reaction to it. But Bongino sure didn't like the prescription drug change and was talking about the impact on people with fixed incomes. That seems a real threat.

Quote:

Lack of research into battery is especially criminal if they are so bent on pushing solar power. Fortunately believe the Japanese are on it.

oh no
AG
nearly a trillion dollars of government spending during a record inflationary period. Not great.

corporate rate hikes don't fund the government's new desired spending; they make the US not attractive for foreign investment or entrepreneurship growth here, and corporations pass increase to customers as it's being passed to them from their vendors... just more inflation if not inviting hyperinflation. Not great.

IRS spending to target and seize more wealth redistribution from the actual earners and productive people in this country. Not great and not going to fund the government's big spending plans.
Tom Doniphon
There's no such thing as "outrageous liberties...." it's a tax code written by congress and exploited by anyone with a brain bigger than a pea.
Malibu
Tom Doniphon said:

There's no such thing as "outrageous liberties...." it's a tax code written by congress and exploited by anyone with a brain bigger than a pea.

Yeah my home office is 2000 ft.. Can I go ahead and pass these home renovation charges through my legitimate LLC and geewhiz what do you know I have less taxable profit now. That totally never happens.
Tom Doniphon
And? That's not a "liberty" of the current tax structure, it's a feature of it.
Tom Doniphon
Again, quit *****ing about it and use it.
LOYAL AG
AG
There are two primary drivers of current inflation. One is runaway spending since Covid and the other is the shrinking workforce brought on by the retirement of the baby boomers. Which of those two is this bill going to address? Hint, it can't do anything about the latter. So how does spending eleventy billion dollars we don't have help the former?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.