The realities of EV truck usage

17,233 Views | 251 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by munch96
munch96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since there is a big push politically to move from gas to electric vehicles, here is a real world test of the latest and greatest EV truck, the new Ford Lightning and a new GMC pickup with a V8 gas engine. Both are towing a 6000lb trailer.

The comparison illustrates to me that EV trucks are not fully ready to replace things a gas powered truck can do…

techno-ag
AG
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
bam02
AG
munch96 said:

Since there is a big push politically to move from gas to electric vehicles, here is a real world test of the latest and greatest EV truck, the new Ford Lightning and a new GMC pickup with a V8 gas engine. Both are towing a 6000lb trailer.

The comparison illustrates to me that EV trucks are not fully ready to replace things a gas powered truck can do…

Wow that sucks.
Yesterday
AG
But 99% of truck drivers don't tow ***** They just want to be truck drivers.
Artorias
AG
I won't be jumping on board the first generation of EV trucks, but with the rapid advancement of battery technology, I expect EV trucks to perform as well as, or surpass, gas trucks in the near future.

Of course, even then I probably still won't be able to afford one...
XXXVII
So they said the electric truck gets half the range of the gas truck. Sucks balls. What's the cost of the electric truck compared to the gas?
DeSantis 2024

FJB, FJB, FJB, etc
techno-ag
AG
XXXVII said:

So they said the electric truck gets half the range of the gas truck. Sucks balls. What's the cost of the electric truck compared to the gas?

Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Yesterday said:

Fair point. I still think EV's are very non green in many ways but vast majority of these trucks are commuter vehicles that occasionally want to move a few hundred lbs of stuff in the bed.

Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
SMM48
AG
The ford lighting is a pos.
Trucker 96
Out of charge at 85 miles. LOL. Cost him $27 to get 75% charge. So $27 to go 65ish miles. The gas truck was getting 9mpg, so that would have been about $35 at $5/gallon.
cbr
AG
Who the **** only tows 6000 lbs?

Anyway, its all fairy farts from start to finish. Ive seen the state of the art ev's trying to race and its a bad joke even in events tailored to their advantage.

Basic physics and logic eliminates ev's from any real practicality, and that is why they are being pushed on ignorant libs.
Trucker 96
Do these EV's come with a gym or Weight Watchers membership? Lots of Canes and who knows what else people will chow on waiting to charge
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Wow, so that's what Troy Aikman does in the off-season?
CDUB98
AG
What a damn joke.
Yesterday
AG
SB 43rd STREET OG said:

Yesterday said:

Fair point. I still think EV's are very non green in many ways but vast majority of these trucks are commuter vehicles that occasionally want to move a few hundred lbs of stuff in the bed.

I looked at the Lightning but even with the long range battery I couldn't drive to the ranch and back without charging. Not to mention towing anything. But most of my friends with trucks drive 30 miles a day. It will work for many drivers.
DallasAg 94
Teslag
AG
I love my Tesla but there's no way I'm buying an electric truck. It just doesn't make sense so I'll keep my diesel Silverado.
SMM48
AG
It's not free
Manhattan
A plug in hybrid would make the most sense, give it 40 miles of range and most people's gas diesel would go bad before they even use it.
Manhattan
They cost about $20 (131kWh) to charge at home for 250 miles of range at 70mph (more in the city).
My Name Is Judge
Lolz

Electric vehicles are dog****

Lmao at idiots that buy these trash heaps
CanyonAg77
AG
Yesterday said:

There are those of us who actually tow. Buy an electric truck if you want a brodozer to drive to soccer games.

Just don't crash the market for those of us who routinely have to yank heavy loads around.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I expect EV trucks to perform as well as, or surpass, gas trucks in the near future.
Not even in your grandchildren's future.
Teslag
AG
My Name Is Judge said:

Lolz

Awesome contribution with excellent analysis
Teslag
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I expect EV trucks to perform as well as, or surpass, gas trucks in the near future.

It depends on the buyer. For many the electric truck is perfect. For some it's completely unusable. Hopefully we all get a choice and it's market driven.
Boozer92
AG
Unicorn fart prices have skyrocketed since Putin invaded Ukraine at Biden's request
CanyonAg77
AG
Teslag said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

It depends on the buyer. For many the electric truck is perfect. For some it's completely unusable. Hopefully we all get a choice and it's market driven.

That there are niche markets, no one can deny. Those niches will likely get bigger.

But to make a blanket statement that EV will surpass fossil fuels for all trucks in the near future?

Sorry, no way in Hades. I stick by my prediction of his grandchildren maybe being able to see that.
Artorias
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Teslag said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

That there are niche markets, no one can deny. Those niches will likely get bigger.

But to make a blanket statement that EV will surpass fossil fuels for all trucks in the near future?

Sorry, no way in Hades. I stick by my prediction of his grandchildren maybe being able to see that.
That is not what I said. Try reading again.
IDaggie06
AG
There is so much shear hate on this forum for any type of EV. I've never had one and don't plan on having one anytime soon but there is a market for them and technology is improving. For the trucks though, I think industrial/commercial is the better market. I work in the EV battery industry and pretty soon you are going to see a TREMENDOUS number of electric box trucks, electric school buses, electric "last mile" semi trucks, electric shuttle buses, etc etc. If you all think the EV industry is going to die, you are in for a rude awakening (And I am by no means a greenie)
The Kraken
AG
Nobody purchasing these first generation electric trucks is going to use it for heavy towing...unless they are clueless. In the last 30 years of owning 5 different compact or 1/2 ton trucks I've only used the bed or towed light U Haul trailers. Considering I currently drive 25K a year with the potential to drive 35K due to work, I'll strongly consider an electric one when it's time to move on from the current ride.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
My Name Is Judge
New World Ag said:

Nobody purchasing these first generation electric trucks is going to use it for heavy towing...unless they are clueless. In the last 30 years of owning 5 different compact or 1/2 ton trucks I've only used the bed or towed light U Haul trailers. Considering I currently drive 25K a year with the potential to drive 35K due to work, I'll strongly consider an electric one when it's time to move on from the current ride.

You must enjoy sitting around charging stations
My Name Is Judge
Teslag said:

My Name Is Judge said:

Lolz

Awesome contribution with excellent analysis

The analysis was in the video genius…

Overpriced hassle with garbage performance & reliability
geoag58
AG
Yesterday said:

Why can't you people be patient instead of giving succor to our enemy china!
Stat Monitor Repairman
Are we gonna have the battery technology in the next 10-years?

I'm not seeing it.

Its gotten better. But I'm still not seeing the technology.

There was a guy on here that was saying his Tesla has to power on while its sitting in the garage to run the a/c and cool the batteries. Its burning energy just to exist. It may not be a lot but you still consuming energy while parked.
CanyonAg77
AG
Artorias said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Teslag said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

That is not what I said. Try reading again.

Okay

Quote:

I won't be jumping on board the first generation of EV trucks, but with the rapid advancement of battery technology, I expect EV trucks to perform as well as, or surpass, gas trucks in the near future.

Of course, even then I probably still won't be able to afford one...

Still sounds like you expect EV to equal or better gas in the near future.

I still think that's a couple of generations away.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.