Should and will the Supreme Court overturn same-sex marriage ruling?

9,033 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JamesBREI06
hoopla
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With the Supreme Court set to overturn Roe v Wade, should and will the Court overturn Obergefell v Hodges?

Kennedy delivered the opinion of the Court in which Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kagan joined.

Roberts filed a dissenting opinion in which Scalia and Thomas joined.
Quote:

Petitioners make strong arguments rooted in social policy and considerations of fairness. They contend that same-sex couples should be allowed to affirm their love and commitment through marriage, just like opposite-sex couples. That position has undeniable appeal; over the past six years, voters and legislators in eleven States and the District of Columbia have revised their laws to allow marriage between two people of the same sex. But this Court is not a legislature. Whether same-sex marriage is a good idea should be of no concern to us. Under the Constitution, judges have power to say what the law is, not what it should be. The people who ratified the Constitution authorized courts to exercise "neither force nor will but merely judgment."

Scalia filed a dissenting opinion in which Thomas joined.

Thomas filed a dissenting opinion in which Scalia joined.
Quote:

The Court's decision today is at odds not only with the Constitution, but with the principles upon which our Nation was built. Since well before 1787, liberty has been understood as freedom from government action, not entitlement to government benefits. The Framers created our Constitution to preserve that understanding of liberty. Yet the majority invokes our Constitution in the name of a "liberty" that the Framers would not have recognized, to the detriment of the liberty they sought to protect. Along the way, it rejects the ideacaptured in our Declaration of Independencethat human dignity is innate and suggests instead that it comes from the Government. This distortion of our Constitution not only ignores the text, it inverts the relationship between the individual and the state in our Republic. I cannot agree with it.

Alito filed a dissenting opinion in which Scalia and Thomas joined.
Quote:

Until the federal courts intervened, the American people were engaged in a debate about whether their States should recognize same-sex marriage. The question in these cases, however, is not what States should do about same-sex marriage but whether the Constitution answers that question for them. It does not. The Constitution leaves that question to be decided by the people of each State.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/14-556_3204.pdf

DrEvazanPhD
Unlikely.
NicosMachine
AG
It was a poorly reasoned decision with little to no Constitutional basis. Same sex marriage failed regularly at the ballot box on the state level. The court usurped the states by claiming non-existent Constitutional authority.
BigRobSA
Yes.

If it's not specifically stated as a Federal power, it isn't a Federal power. Easy peasy.
Infection_Ag11
AG
It wasn't good law is my understanding from reading most analysis of the case, but the support and/or tolerance for gay marriage is so overwhelming now that it's just best to let sleeping dogs lie IMO.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
NicosMachine
AG
Let's hope they do the right thing and overturn it. I know a lot of weak-kneed "conservatives" fear doing so, but doing the right thing is always right. If states want to pass legislation or vote on it, fine. It's just not a federal Constitutional issue.
zephyr88
AG
This is just another wedge issue...

Personally, I'm far more concerned about the failing economy, food prices, gas prices, and my electric bill to worry about two dudes' desire to get married.
TxTarpon
Not going to happen.

Greg Abbot argued that marriage is a "state sponsored subsidy".
He lost in court with that.
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
AGHouston11
AG
NicosMachine said:

It was a poorly reasoned decision with little to no Constitutional basis. Same sex marriage failed regularly at the ballot box on the state level. The court usurped the states by claiming non-existent Constitutional authority.

In early 2000's it lost on the California ballot with 7 out of 10 blacks voting against it.
BMX Bandit
its not going to happen

First: You'd first need a state to stop a gay person from getting married. When is that going to happen?

Then state would need to win at district and circuit court level. Extremely unlikely.

Then if you do make it to SCOTUS, you have Gorsuch who expanded civil rights to include sexual orientation. Really think he will vote down gay marriage?
WHOOP!'91
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

It wasn't good law is my understanding from reading most analysis of the case, but the support and/or tolerance for gay marriage is so overwhelming now that it's just best to let sleeping dogs lie IMO.
If that's the case, states will begin adopting the practice as the people of that state will it. Other states won't adopt it if the people of that state don't will it. It's kinda like a democratic republic would behave.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
NicosMachine said:

It was a poorly reasoned decision with little to no Constitutional basis. ...... The court usurped the states by claiming non-existent Constitutional authority.

Unfortunately that has happened thousands of times and it continues to cost taxpayers hundreds of billions $$ every year. A large majority of what the U.S. federal government does, is involved in, taxes the populace for and spends $$ on is 1000% unconstitutional and they have no authority to be doing so or forcing it on the states.

Yes, the same-sex ruling should be repealed, it is a State issue. I have no problem with same-sex marriage, and I would argue that if CA allows it and TX does not allow it TX would still need to recognize it if a CA moved to TX (similar to a drivers license). But it is not a federal issue and is example 100000000 of items forced on the State with no constitutional basis.
AzAg80
AG
SCOTUS should reverse it and let the states decide, in accordance with the 10A.
WHOOP!'91
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

NicosMachine said:

It was a poorly reasoned decision with little to no Constitutional basis. ...... The court usurped the states by claiming non-existent Constitutional authority.

Unfortunately that has happened thousands of times and it continues to cost taxpayers hundreds of billions $$ every year. A large majority of what the U.S. federal government does, is involved in, taxes the populace for and spends $$ on is 1000% unconstitutional and they have no authority to be doing so or forcing it on the states.

Yes, the same-sex ruling should be repealed, it is a State issue. I have no problem with same-sex marriage, and I would argue that if CA allows it and TX does not allow it TX would still need to recognize it if a CA moved to TX (similar to a drivers license). But it is not a federal issue and is example 100000000 of items forced on the State with no constitutional basis.
That would be fine with me, as soon as they have to recognize Texas' gun laws. Not sure what "recognize" means at the state level for SSM, but I have no problem with it. I do have a problem with Texas having to recognize other states' licenses and them not recognizing ours.
Clob94
Who cares.

I've got 2 gay cousins. I literally do not care who they want to marry. We've got an economy about to send us all to bread lines-- both gay and straight people.

Eye on the ball.
AzAg80
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

NicosMachine said:

My only quibble is, CA does not recognize out of state concealed carry permits. So screw their gay marriage license.
barbacoa taco
AG
1) No they should not. Do not relitigate this issue.
2) I'm giving it a 90/10% chance of Obergefell staying as is/being overturned. It's highly unlikely they will gut the decision, but I do think some state is going to give it a college try. And if it's any state, it will probably be Texas.
zephyr88
AG
Clob94 said:

Who cares.

I've got 2 gay cousins. I literally do not care who they want to marry. We've got an economy about to send us all to bread lines-- both gay and straight people.

Eye on the ball.
Exactly... I can't even fathom why this is an issue.
12th Man
AG
No and no.
BigRobSA
BMX Bandit said:

its not going to happen

First: You'd first need a state to stop a gay person from getting married. When is that going to happen?

Then state would need to win at district and circuit court level. Extremely unlikely.

Then if you do make it to SCOTUS, you have Gorsuch who expanded civil rights to include sexual orientation. Really think he will vote down gay marriage?

Yeah, it's not going to happen, but it was incorrectly applied law. I supported gay marriage in Iowa when the issue came up, but its not in the federal purview.
BMX Bandit
BigRobSA said:

BMX Bandit said:

its not going to happen

Yeah, it's not going to happen, but it was incorrectly applied law. I supported gay marriage in Iowa when the issue came up, but its not in the federal purview.
oh we know. congrats by the way! #loveislove
BusterAg
AG
It's a moot question. There will never be a case that gets to the supreme court for them to rule on.

It's absolutely bad law, and a prime example of legislating from the bench, and a terrible decision, IMO, not because of the impact of legalizing gay marriage, but because it is fundamentally at odds with the separation of powers that are detailed in the Constitution.

But, whether or not it is bad law will have no bearing on whether or not it will be overturned, because there will never be an appeal by a state asking for it to be overturned.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms … disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

--Thomas Jefferson
BCG Disciple
AG
NicosMachine said:

Agreed. 10th amendment should have some meaning. Case has nothing to do with the constitution.

That being said, I don't care if they make whatever federal benefits they're arguing for the same for same sex marriages.
Phatbob
AG
Since the argument has moved from "what the people will allow the government to do and with the money they give to it" to "what the government will allow the people to do and with the money it allows the people to keep", this issue has gone by the wayside.

Bad decisions like this will stand until we tell the Federal Government that it is not the arbiter of morality and nor is it the source of rights.
dmart90
AG
No and no.
Infection_Ag11
AG
WHOOP!'91 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

If that's the case, states will begin adopting the practice as the people of that state will it. Other states won't adopt it if the people of that state don't will it. It's kinda like a democratic republic would behave.

Doesn't matter, perception is reality and the perception would be republicans are trying to ban gay marriage again. There's very few ways the GOP could lose in 2024, this is one of them.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SA68AG
AG
A really dumb hill to die on.

Republicans are on the verge of taking both houses in 2022 and the Presidency in 2024 and you're advocating throwing that away over an issue that virtually nobody objects to anymore ? Conservatives are their own worst enemies on social issues.
WHOOP!'91
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

WHOOP!'91 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Doesn't matter, perception is reality and the perception would be republicans are trying to ban gay marriage again. There's very few ways the GOP could lose in 2024, this is one of them.
...and I am not arguing that the matter should be relitigated at this time.

But Constitutionally? Absolutely it was SCOTUS activism ignoring the document to come to a desired conclusion. It should be undone, just as Roe should be undone, just as some bad law in the past should and has been undone.

It won't be, but it should be on a Constitutional basis. If we want the feds to dictate SSM, there should be an amendment.
aggiehawg
AG
BusterAg said:

It's a moot question. There will never be a case that gets to the supreme court for them to rule on.

It's absolutely bad law, and a prime example of legislating from the bench, and a terrible decision, IMO, not because of the impact of legalizing gay marriage, but because it is fundamentally at odds with the separation of powers that are detailed in the Constitution.

But, whether or not it is bad law will have no bearing on whether or not it will be overturned, because there will never be an appeal by a state asking for it to be overturned.
I am not one percent convinced that the subject will never be heard again. Will need to see how far Dobbs goes.

That draft of Alito's was quite a flame thrower.
AGHouston11
AG
The left used this to say anything to the contrary is hate speech. They used it to advance teaching kindergarteners that it's normal. They used it to advance every aspect imaginable.
It never was about "marriage" to them. It was about advancing an agenda.
TXAGFAN
AG
AGHouston11 said:

The left used this to say anything to the contrary is hate speech. They used it to advance teaching kindergarteners that it's normal. They used it to advance every aspect imaginable.
It never was about "marriage" to them. It was about advancing an agenda.
The left wasn't pushing that narrative before 2015, was hardly a political winner for democrats.

For gay people, real gay people and not the gay bogeymen you are imagining, it was about gay marriage.
BusterAg
AG
aggiehawg said:

BusterAg said:

I am not one percent convinced that the subject will never be heard again. Will need to see how far Dobbs goes.

That draft of Alito's was quite a flame thrower.
Who do you see as the plaintiff, and what would the complaint be, on the case that is filed that ultimately gets to the supreme court?

I honestly don't see how, but interested in your perspective.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms … disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

--Thomas Jefferson
Get Off My Lawn
These types of issues are where conservative pragmatism differs from libertarianism.

The nuclear family, along with personal property rights, are foundational to American culture. The idea of subsidizing, elevating, and protecting the institution of marriage makes sense in that the financial incentive drives more people to partake and/or remain.

Gay 'marriage' does not generate children, and doesn't merge the biologically different partners of traditional marriage - thus making it a lesser union.

Additionally, the idea that you can separate the state from the cultural Christian foundation is incredibly dangerous. You can't just bifurcate things to be 100% secular in one portion of society and religious in another. True secularism is just not realistic to human nature. (What the left sees as secular is showing itself to be a religious cobblings of another sort with it's own clergy, morality, liturgy, necessary works, and statements of belief.)

Should the court overturn it? Yes - all badly reasoned or out of scope rulings should be overturned as a matter of principle.

Is it on the list of 'top 5 things that government is doing wrong which are tearing apart our country'? No.
twk
AG
Obergfell was a ridiculously bad opinion. And, there was no reason for overruling Bowers v. Hardwick in Lawrence v. Texas other than the fact that the makeup of the court had changed. However, this topic is different from abortion in that there are reliance costs (lots of gay folks got married), so it would be hard to overrule either. In fact, even if the court had not overruled Bowers, liberal states deciding to sanction gay marriage would have presented issues that likely would have resulted in gay marriages being recognized in all 50 states thanks to the full faith and credit doctrine. So, while the reasoning in Obergfell is terrible, we were probably going to end up with that result any way you cut it.
TXAGFAN
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

Gay 'marriage' does not generate children, and doesn't merge the biologically different partners of traditional marriage - thus making it a lesser union.
I'll be sure to let all my gay friends with kids via adoption and surrogacy know that their union is lesser because Get Off My Lawn says so. I'm sure they will give zero f's. Who knew this was even a criteria for marriage, are straight people who do not have kids for some reason a lesser union as well?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.