Dick's Lost $250 Million in Revenues Thanks to Gun Ban

3,582 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Year of the Germaphobe
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/dicks-sporting-goods-admits-decision-to-abandon-gun-sales-cost-shareholders-250m-in-revenue/

Their timing couldn't be worse: demand for guns/ammo skyrocketed over the past two years but their CEO decided to remove the store from that sales venue.
The results:
"… corporate was furloughing employees as fast as their printers could pump out the pink slips. They sent 40,000 employees home when sales fell off a cliff and gun retailers were doing land office business."

"Rather than rolling in profits, Dick's now touts its new "Public Lands" chain which it has created to replace many of its former Field & Stream stores. The new woke outlet sells premium-priced, socially-conscious outdoor apparel and gear (don't tell their customers a lot of it is actually petroleum-based) representing the company's latest new vision for a firm's firearm-free sales strategy."

///

Go woke, go broke.
""Give me 20 divisions American soldiers and I will breach Europe. Give me 15 consisting of Englishmen, and I will advance to the borders of Berlin. Give me two divisions of those marvellous fighting Boers (Meaning Farmer, originating from the Boer War) and I will remove Germany from the face of the earth." Field Marshal Bernard L. Montgomery, Commander of the Allled forces during WWII."
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Gigem314
AG
Guess you could say they...lived up to their name?
Jay Reimenschneider
Good.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Thank goodness they are focused on helping girls meet their potential
HackerAg
AG
Eating their own.
Marcus Brutus
LMAO

"Meanwhile, over at No-Guns Dick's, corporate was furloughing employees as fast as their printers could pump out the pink slips. They sent 40,000 employees home when sales fell off a cliff and gun retailers were doing land office business."
ElKabong
My Name Is Judge
It's actually even more than that bc people w principles refuse to ever shop at that piece of **** store again
Irish 2.0
I love a good "Ha Ha Dumbass" moment as much as the next person with these virtue signalers, but Dicks started this stopping gun sales crap back in May 2019 when it was trading at ~40/share. It is trading at ~111 in January 2022...

They may have left some money on the table, but it's not like it ruined them by any means
Dallas Police Department is full of crooked cops that lied about Mrs. Angela West and tried to destroy her name and reputation
Rapier108
aggiepanic95
AG
They are more focused on diversity than profits.
UTExan
Maybe they are counting on those wealthy young uns to keep paying inflated prices for puffy jackets and keep their stock price up.
""Give me 20 divisions American soldiers and I will breach Europe. Give me 15 consisting of Englishmen, and I will advance to the borders of Berlin. Give me two divisions of those marvellous fighting Boers (Meaning Farmer, originating from the Boer War) and I will remove Germany from the face of the earth." Field Marshal Bernard L. Montgomery, Commander of the Allled forces during WWII."
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
DallasAg 94
Irish 2.0
UTExan said:

Maybe they are counting on those wealthy young uns to keep paying inflated prices for puffy jackets and keep their stock price up.
I hate the place and won't step foot in one, but your post is wrong. Straight wrong and their share price and financials prove it. Your post is from a gun magazine and their article is ****ty and stupid. I'll take a ~200% valuation increase in 2.5 years every day of the freaking week!

They may have gone woke, but they sure as **** aren't going broke.
Dallas Police Department is full of crooked cops that lied about Mrs. Angela West and tried to destroy her name and reputation
houag80
AG
All those stupid people paying high prices for **** ultimately sourced from China. I guess it pays to be a Dick 's.
UTExan
If they can retain sales to women and weather the bricks and mortar retail issues and supply chain issues, you are probably right. If I am an investor and the CEO muffed a quarter billion dollar revenue stream, then there are better places to put my money to work.
Burdizzo
AG
Gigem314 said:

Guess you could say they...lived up to their name?

More like Limps
AgBQ-00
AG
Have you seen their latest commercial? Let's just say if you're an outie and work for them you may as well start looking for another job, they are very proud of their militant innie leadership.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

I love a good "Ha Ha Dumbass" moment as much as the next person with these virtue signalers, but Dicks started this stopping gun sales crap back in May 2019 when it was trading at ~40/share. It is trading at ~111 in January 2022...

They may have left some money on the table, but it's not like it ruined them by any means

Came here to say the same but you beat me to it.

Buisness majors we apparently have not on this board. The "Field and Stream" division was a failing division within the company. It wasn't going to matter what gun sales did nationally, that division was failing. Yes, people were going to buy guns, but they ALREADY weren't buying guns or ammo from Dicks/Field and Stream. Yeah, their CEO scored some Woke points (and I completely agree it was unnecessary grandstanding), but they were going to be ditching the firearms regardless.
nortex97
AG
Yep. I will take a victory lap on them at some point, I hope, but going from around 21 in early 2020 to (about) 111 today, this move has cost them revenue, but it hasn't cost their shareholders anything.

I certainly am not going to buy their stock directly as I think it is a poorly run company, but we are still a ways from said pointing and laughing.
Irish 2.0
They started this 2.5yrs ago. It isn't like this is something new.

Again, they may have gone woke, but they literally went the exact opposite of broke.
Daveintx
You know where most of these "sporting goods" stores are? Malls.... you know how many people still bother with malls???
panhandlefarmer
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Their slogan should be "Women Want Dick's".
AgNav93
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

I'm sure they made up for it by selling tampons to woke liberal dudes.
EclipseAg
AG
Given their emphasis on women leadership and girls sports, expect a name change any day now. They already brand products with "DSG" rather than "Dick's."
deddog
AG
EclipseAg said:

Given their emphasis on women leadership and girls sports, expect a name change any day now. They already brand products with "DSG" rather than "Dick's."
This. They lost a revenue stream, but they are going after the same voter that doesn't like mean tweets, and there's plenty of those.
UTExan
deddog said:

EclipseAg said:

This. They lost a revenue stream, but they are going after the same voter that doesn't like mean tweets, and there's plenty of those.

Sadly, that's true. The same voters who live in (for now) relatively safe suburbs protected by police forces they likely profess to disparage (and due to staffing shortages are less able than ever to provide effective response) . The example of Beverly Hills, which has one gun store and where customers must come in by appointment is instructive here. I have no problems if they desire to shift their focus to women. But their arrogant, self righteous focus on attacking the 2A makes them my ideological and political enemy.
harge57
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Yah but look at Academy as a comparison. They have have had 200% stock appreciation vs. DICKS' 100% over the last 18 months. DICKS missed out on a crap ton of revenue/profit.
fightingfarmer09
Their main competitor in my area is Academy. And since Academy hasn't updated their inventory of offerings in 10 years we tend to shop at Dick's for clothing. They still offer name brand products and great shoe section. Academy forces everything into the Magellan lineup, which is just cheaper products with a fit for fatter people.

Online shopping directly from brands is the best option sadly.
MouthBQ98
AG
They bent over and spread ESG style for the best rates from big finance.
BusterAg
AG
I have friend with a dream job. He is a collegiate apparel buyer for Academy.

I asked him how Academy is doing. Record breaking profits. Business has never been better. Mostly thanks to guns and ammo.
jrdaustin
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Yeah, but that sure looks like a classic double-top with some pretty serious top-side resistance. I'd take a pass on picking up that stock at this point.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Dicks is repositioning, successfully, to narrow in on the athleisure suburbanite that likes day trip to outdoorsy things. They aren't trying to compete with Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop. They want you to buy a nice golf polo for dad, yoga pants for mom, a new baseball bat for your kids, and a kayak for your next thousand dollar weekend adventure. Then hop into your luxury SUV and go home and post about it on instagram.

Their brand is being an upscale, "noncontroversial" Academy+Sports and Outdoors.
EKUAg
AG
Don't forget Dick's owns Golf Galaxy.
Irish 2.0
harge57 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Yah but look at Academy as a comparison. They have have had 200% stock appreciation vs. DICKS' 100% over the last 18 months. DICKS missed out on a crap ton of revenue/profit.
That is an apple to oranges comparison considering ASO only went public in Oct 2020.

Anyone trying to dunk on Dick's for ditching guns is just being deliberately obtuse or truly ignorant on the matter. It literally did not hurt them one bit and the OP said "Go woke, go broke" and I'd call a 200% appreciation in 2.5 years sure as hell not going broke.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.