DeSantis: Florida won't enforce health care worker vaccination requirement

2,791 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by exp
captkirk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. Just one day after the United States Supreme Court upheld the Biden Administration's policy requiring health care workers to get vaccinated, the governor's office fired back saying Florida will not enforce it.

The rule comes as the health care worker vaccination rule approaches a deadline -- Jan. 27 for their first shot. Thursday's ruling from the Supreme Court now means health care workers across the U.S. will be required to get vaccinated for COVID-19.

Hours before the ruling came down, Gov. Ron DeSantis reiterated there's no way that's happening in the Sunshine State.

"The medical mandate for the nurses and doctors what they're trying to do is insane. In Florida, we provided protections, so they were rehired," said DeSantis.
https://www.news4jax.com/news/florida/2022/01/14/desantis-florida-wont-enforce-health-care-worker-vaccination-requirement/
Ag87H2O
AG
I'm liking DeSantis more and more. This guy knows how to fight.
leachfan
A sanctuary state for healthcare workers? That's great!
AgResearch
AG
Quote:

Private employers are prohibited from mandating COVID-19 vaccines for employees without opportunity for the employees to obtain an exemption. Florida employees can choose to be exempt from private employer vaccine mandates for:

The religious exemption form is exactly how it should be everywhere.

Quote:

Pursuant to section 381.00317, Florida Statutes: I hereby declare that I decline the COVID-19 vaccination because of a sincerely held religious belief, which may include a sincerely held moral or ethical belief.
Signature & Date
Quote:

NOTE: An employer shall not inquire into the veracity of the employee's
religious beliefs. Pursuant to section 381.00317(2), Florida Statutes, this
completed exemption statement requires the employer to allow the
employee to opt-out of the employer's COVID-19 vaccination mandate.
Gaius Julius Bevo
Hell yeah. If Democrat states can ignore federal rules, then so can Republican ones. Time for a recalibration in the pact that created federalism.
Panama Red
AG
Is there even anything that even involves "enforcement" at the State level on this CMS rule?
policywonk98
AG
Not sure he will be victorious.

But there is no doubt this is real leadership.
BMX Bandit
Panama Red said:

Is there even anything that even involves "enforcement" at the State level on this CMS rule?
not that I know of. If facilities are non-compliant, thats enforced on federal level.

the article doesn't say how Desantis is "not going to enforce it" or a quote to him saying anything about enforcement. he does point out the mandates are insane.

Owlagdad
FSupreme court, or really just 5 of them.
2023NCAggies
God I hope he runs and Trump throws his full support behind him.
SwigAg11
AG
Unfortunately, I don't think this means anything since the enforcement would be at the federal level.
HumpitPuryear
AG
This is great but the feds have way more leverage. States have themselves in the terrible position of needing federal funds to supply basic services- Federal education funding, highway funding, healthcare, unemployment assistance, etc. Those federal agencies will gladly make things difficult on Floridians.
Commander Gorn
AG
Elect this man in 24
Owlagdad
Let Florida be like Mexico-- open hospitals, fly in, get your knee surgery, do a little rehab on the beach, and go home.
Proc92
SwigAg11 said:

Unfortunately, I don't think this means anything since the enforcement would be at the federal level.
Didn't desantis say in an interview that Florida would indemnify workers/companies for fines the feds imposed?
BMX Bandit
not in linked article. do you have full interview?
Teslag
AG
Panama Red said:

No. He's pandering.
Proc92
BMX Bandit said:

not in linked article. do you have full interview?
I think it was when he was on Shapiro's podcast.
Teslag
AG
Proc92 said:

SwigAg11 said:

Didn't desantis say in an interview that Florida would indemnify workers/companies for fines the feds imposed?

No major medical system will care. They will enforce the mandate.
backintexas2013
AG
The feds will then withhold payment to medical providers. Hopefully then some hospitals stop taking Medicaid. That will be fun.

I doubt any hospitals will have the guts. Hoping some doctors do push back and refuse Medicaid.
hbtheduce
AG
Salute The Marines said:

Panama Red said:

No. He's pandering.

Someone has a chub for mandates.
hbtheduce
AG
backintexas2013 said:

The feds will then withhold payment to medical providers. Hopefully then some hospitals stop taking Medicaid. That will be fun.

I doubt any hospitals will have the guts. Hoping some doctors do push back and refuse Medicaid.

The unvaxxed rate among Florida/Texas is probably higher than the national average. Wish the system couldnt afford to fire 5-10% of the staff to appease the fascist in chief.

Sadly most will causing the "OMG THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH STAFFED BEDS" headlines. ****ing evil.
BMX Bandit
I would be surprised if that were the case in Florida. Lots of olds there
WestTexAg12
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Once again, Texas is behind the curve here.
hbtheduce
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Completely agree if we are talking about the whole state. But I was talking more specifically about employees of the health care system.

Aka New Hampshire hospitals will have to fire less people as a % than Florida.
murphyag
AG
2023NCAggies said:

God I hope he runs and Trump throws his full support behind him.
I don't think Trump will do that. Word on the street in Florida is that Trump hates DeSantis.
WolfCall
AG
Salute The Marines said:

Panama Red said:

No. He's pandering.

Typical Left propaganda:

When someone is an advocate for a conservative issue, they are pandering; while, when someone advocates for a liberal issue they are courageous.....

DeSantis is giving the middle finger to mean-Joe. He gets two thumbs up from me for that.
FJB
You voted for this because you didn't like Mean Tweets?!
lead
Salute The Marines said:

Panama Red said:

No. He's pandering.

If it's pandering only, I like it. Someone needs to let the turds know that this nonsense is nonsensical. But I'm not sure it's totally meaningless - OSHA enforces through fines and more practically negative impacts on company reputation/insurance. Not sure what happens if you don't pay the fine. Insurance is likely regulated by the state.
Tom Doniphon
DeSantis
BQ78
AG
It's a Federal mandate It is up to them to enforce it. I'm guessing Joe is going to ask OSHA to be especially vigilant in Florida now.
policywonk98
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Yep.

According to NYT vax tracker. Florida is middle of the pack really no matter what age bracket,making them middle of the pack overall. Their old people are outperforming old people in California for instance.

So the idea(not posed by you, just in general). That Desantis stand on Vax policy as a state issue and an invidual choice issue, has some impact on vax rates among the population, is complete bunk.
cbaker20
backintexas2013 said:

Doctors unfortunately have mostly bought into the hospital industrial complex over time. Independent practices are rare and if you have to admit inpatients you simply have no choice but to credential according to hospital rules. Most doctors have zero input on what patients they treat. Medicine is what this country has made it, unfortunately. Hospitals are going to do exactly what keeps cash rolling in.

My dad wisely told me to fight tooth and nail to get in a specialty in which I could operate independently. I did and I do, thank god. I will steer my kids away from medicine. It's a trap.
exp
AG
He is the right man to lead our country
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.