For homeowners without a mortgage, January is that annual reminder

7,710 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BMX Bandit
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YOU ONLY RENT YOUR HOME from the county, schools district, etc…….

I also paid all the ranch taxes for my grifter dad. He had senior citizen and various VA/veteran's discounts (WW2, Korea, 2 tours of 'Nam). That's coming to a screeching halt next year. He shouldn't have been allowed to even vote according to a couple of posters.

Texas needs a tax overhaul. VAT or sales tax to replace property taxes.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Marcus Brutus
Agree. I thought the same thing Tuesday when I walked in and wrote the check.
evestor1
Protesting taxes is like playing the texas lotto and should always be rewarding!
Chips2003
AG
B-1 83 said:

I also paid all the ranch taxes for my grifter dad. He had senior citizen and various VA/veteran's discounts (WW2, Korea, 2 tours of 'Nam). That's coming to a screeching halt next year. He shouldn't have been allowed to even vote according to a couple of posters.

Why shouldn't your dad be allowed to vote?
B-1 83
AG
Chips2003 said:

B-1 83 said:

Why shouldn't your dad be allowed to vote?
According to one particular poster, his "frozen" taxes should disqualify him.

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3264726/replies/61240805
Aggie4Life02
AG
Taxation is theft.
AgGrad99
AG
B-1 83 said:

I love Texas, but absolutely hate this. I especially hate it for the retired population, but it's too punitive for everyone.
Jason C.
AG
Taxes that increase with fluctuating "market-based" property appraisals carried out by the taxing entity, instead of by vote by representatives, are undemocratic. Especially when they're (after income taxes) the largest tax most taxpayers pay. We aren't talking adding half a penny to sales tax when a housing market gets hot.
Jason C.
AG
Oh and FPT
DrEvazanPhD
Jason C. said:

Taxes that increase with fluctuating "market-based" property appraisals carried out by the taxing entity, instead of by vote by representatives, are undemocratic. Especially when they're (after income taxes) the largest tax most taxpayers pay. We aren't talking adding half a penny to sales tax when a housing market gets hot.

Yep. I love going to protest my taxable value and being asked "what information can I provide to show my home is not worth what the county says it's worth."

Bull****
nortex97
AG
The full quote was:

Quote:

The right to vote should be stripped of all felons, and those who do not pay into not contribute to the entity that is the subject of an election.

Same for property taxes. It's not a perfect system, but it's what we use. That said if you're somehow exempt or yours are frozen, you cease voting in elections that determine how their spent/allocated or raised.
There is a valid argument that only people who pay taxes and/or own real property should be allowed to vote. The rationale being, those with an invested stake in the state who pay it's finances via taxation, are the ones who are most interested in the management of the government, and taxation rates/policies.

I am not sure why your grifter father's exemptions are expiring, but it sounds like you, and perhaps he as well, are quite interested in changing the government's tax policies, and I would support your continued rights to vote, though I think we should be making voting much harder for a lot of people. I am not sure what the right answer to property tax reform really is, but I don't think Texans are going to get rid of it, anytime soon. Ultimately, 'the king will always get his share.'
Hungry Ojos
Just under $19k this year for the absolute PRIVILEGE of living in this God forsaken liberal hell hole, Travis County.
Hungry Ojos
nortex97 said:

The full quote was:

Quote:

The right to vote should be stripped of all felons, and those who do not pay into not contribute to the entity that is the subject of an election.

Same for property taxes. It's not a perfect system, but it's what we use. That said if you're somehow exempt or yours are frozen, you cease voting in elections that determine how their spent/allocated or raised.
There is a valid argument that only people who pay taxes and/or own real property should be allowed to vote. The rationale being, those with an invested stake in the state who pay it's finances via taxation, are the ones who are most interested in the management of the government, and taxation rates/policies.

I am not sure why your grifter father's exemptions are expiring, but it sounds like you, and perhaps he as well, are quite interested in changing the government's tax policies, and I would support your continued rights to vote, though I think we should be making voting much harder for a lot of people. I am not sure what the right answer to property tax reform really is, but I don't think Texans are going to get rid of it, anytime soon. Ultimately, 'the king will always get his share.'

This is absolutely true. Imagine a group of ten friends. Only four of them have any money but have decided to pay for all ten people to eat. Why in the absolute f should the six degenerates have any say in the free meal they are about to receive?
Muy
AG
Flat tax for everyone regardless of how much property they own.
Martin Cash
AG
AgGrad99 said:

B-1 83 said:

I love Texas, but absolutely hate this. I especially hate it for the retired population, but it's too punitive for everyone.
You do know that at 65 you can defer payment of all your ad valorem taxes, right?
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
Martin Cash
AG
Jason C. said:

You do realize that the taxing entities have nothing to do with appraisals, right?
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
TxTarpon
Yes, let's privatize all schools including universities.
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
Hungry Ojos
Martin Cash said:

AgGrad99 said:

B-1 83 said:

You do know that at 65 you can defer payment of all your ad valorem taxes, right?

Yes, but the taxes, penalties and interest still accrue while you're deferring so that by the time an estate inherits the property, all of the unpaid taxes have eaten up all the equity in the property leaving nothing for the beneficiaries. But I agree that it is a way for the elderly to avoid a tax foreclosure while living.
Whirligigs
Taxes arent going anywhere but up.

It took forever just to get rid of those stupid red light cameras. Good luck with getting taxes altered in our favor.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
DrEvazanPhD said:

Jason C. said:

Yep. I love going to protest my taxable value and being asked "what information can I provide to show my home is not worth what the county says it's worth."

Bull****
This, any appraisal is just at best an educated guess until the property actually sells. While I abhor property taxes and their destruction of the idea of private property ownership, I understand my hope/dream of seeing them removed is optimistic at best. I would settle for the taxable value of property only changing when it is sold. Then the value is set at the sales price and doesn't change again until it is sold again. Then at least you know for sure what your ownership costs are going to be when you buy a place.
B-1 83
AG
nortex97 said:

The full quote was:

Quote:

1. I know of nobody who pays no taxes. There is nearly $.40 a gallon on gasoline, sales tax, taxes on cable TV, taxes on your phone….. "If you stand too long, I'll tax your feet…….'cuz I'm the tax man…"
2. Dad died. His exemptions died with him, as they should.
PacoPicoPiedra
AG
B-1 83 said:

I'm all about switching to a sales/consumption tax, not so much a VAT. Hell, I'd support a national sales tax to replace income tax. Of course, with a consumption tax likely comes a luxury tax, you know, gotta make sure the "rich" pay their fair share.
Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception.
PacoPicoPiedra
AG
B-1 83 said:

nortex97 said:

The full quote was:

Quote:

1. I know of nobody who pays no taxes. There is nearly $.40 a gallon on gasoline, sales tax, taxes on cable TV, taxes on your phone….. "If you stand too long, I'll tax your feet…….'cuz I'm the tax man…"
2. Dad died. His exemptions died with him, as they should.
Nice Beatles reference. At the time they wrote Taxman, the top tax rate in the UK was 92%. Sorry to hear about your dad.
Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
The most equitable way to tax is a state income tax but that is a non starter for the state GOP.
Martin Cash
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

Martin Cash said:

AgGrad99 said:

B-1 83 said:

Yes, but the taxes, penalties and interest still accrue while you're deferring so that by the time an estate inherits the property, all of the unpaid taxes have eaten up all the equity in the property leaving nothing for the beneficiaries. But I agree that it is a way for the elderly to avoid a tax foreclosure while living.
Correct, but I'm pretty sure it's interest only, not penalties. They are payable at death, sale of the property or when you move. It's for people who are in desperate need of that money. If you take advantage of it, you should definitely tell your kids what you are doing, so they are surprised when you croak.
B-1 83
AG
BobaFettsClone said:

B-1 83 said:

I'm all about switching to a sales/consumption tax, not so much a VAT. Hell, I'd support a national sales tax to replace income tax. Of course, with a consumption tax likely comes a luxury tax, you know, gotta make sure the "rich" pay their fair share.
They "consume" more to make up for it, as a general rule.
AgGrad99
AG
Martin Cash said:

AgGrad99 said:

B-1 83 said:

Yes. But this just becomes an inheritance tax, by another name.

It's a means to prevent a retired person from becoming homeless, but it strips them of equity they worked so hard to accrue.
Martin Cash
AG
Husky Boy Jr. said:

The most equitable way to tax is a state income tax but that is a non starter for the state GOP Constitution.
FIFY
GeorgiAg
AG
Husky Boy Jr. said:

The most equitable way to tax is a state income tax but that is a non starter for the state GOP.
Nah. Georgia here. Still have to pay property tax.

More tax, more spend, wash, rinse, repeat.
Bubblez
Police, fire protection, courts, and other city and county services have to be paid some way or another. Property taxes are a fair way doing that. If you want to minimize property taxes, go find a a chunk of unincorporated land away from everything and live there.
96ags
AG
I don't mind the property tax system, but it should be based on your purchase price not a annual valuation.

As long as you don't add to or change the use of the property, the valuation should not change.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
96ags said:

I don't mind the property tax system, but it should be based on your purchase price not a annual valuation.

As long as you don't add to or change the use of the property, the valuation should not change.

That makes a lot of sense. Plus I would avoid dealing with the mouth breathers at the appraisal district.
B-1 83
AG
Bubblez said:

Police, fire protection, courts, and other city and county services have to be paid some way or another. Property taxes are a fair way doing that. If you want to minimize property taxes, go find a a chunk of unincorporated land away from everything and live there.
That's not how it works……that's not how it works, at all. My ranch is miles from incorporated areas.
96ags
AG
Husky Boy Jr. said:

96ags said:

That makes a lot of sense. Plus I would avoid dealing with the mouth breathers at the appraisal district.
It would also hold taxing entities accountable for increasing taxes. As it is currently, they can hide behind the appraisal district and vice versa.
Boo Weekley
B-1 83 said:

You libs and CM's (sorry, this is what you sounds like right now) love to say this, but you know good and well we are talking about the people who were never in the military who just sit on their ass and collect an unearned check from the government. People who contribute absolutely nothing to society and are instead net drains and vote themselves more and more entitlements. If you were in the city, your property taxes would be going towards funding their childrens' education while they pay negative and milk the system.

Genuinely sorry you lost your pops, he sounds like a badass. I'd love to inherit a ranch...but there's a good chance I'd have to sell if the property taxes were unmanageable.

Agree with you 100% on overhauling taxes. It's ludicrous and infuriating. Not a single person here, if they are in TX, owns their home. I repeat, none of us are homeowners.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.