Missouri Attny Gen Files Lawsuit In Tx To Force Wall Restart

1,141 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SW AG80
NormanAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Missouri paid for Schmitt's Texas trip to announce lawsuit (msn.com)

Quote:

Missouri taxpayers paid for state Attorney General Eric Schmitt's trip to Texas last week to announce a lawsuit he filed seeking to force the restart of construction of a southern border wall.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that Schmitt's spokesman, Chris Nuelle, declined to immediately release the total cost of the trip, but he defended the reason for it.

"The trip was paid for by the State, because it was a lawsuit filed by the State of Missouri on behalf of the people of Missouri," Nuelle said in an email. "Further, I booked the cheapest possible accommodations (I stayed at the La Quinta Airport) for this trip to reduce the money spent. Securing the border has far reaching national security implications, including in Missouri, and the focus should be on Joe Biden's failure to secure the border."

Schmitt, who is a candidate for the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate, filed the lawsuit in a Texas federal court arguing that President Biden's decision to halt construction on the border wall is unlawful because Congress approved the project in an appropriations bill that became law in December 2020.

Schmitt held a news conference Thursday with Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton near the Rio Grande River just outside of El Paso, Texas to announce the lawsuit.
Apparently the St Louis Post Dispatch (just another big city rag that's all in for the Dems) thinks that it was improper for the State to pay for the trip. I say bully for him - he's doing what is best for his state.

It is a little bit of grandstanding, though, considering he's running in the primary next year for a Senate seat. It's a pretty crowded field right now. But that's allowed IMO.

Funny thing he announced it in El Paso, though. Apparently politicians from BOTH parties prefer to make their statements in El Paso, far away from where the actual problems are. (I lived in Las Cruces for several years, so I am somewhat familiar with El Paso.)
Tanya 93
NormanAg said:

Quote:

Missouri taxpayers paid for state Attorney General Eric Schmitt's trip to Texas last week to announce a lawsuit he filed seeking to force the restart of construction of a southern border wall.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that Schmitt's spokesman, Chris Nuelle, declined to immediately release the total cost of the trip, but he defended the reason for it.

"The trip was paid for by the State, because it was a lawsuit filed by the State of Missouri on behalf of the people of Missouri," Nuelle said in an email. "Further, I booked the cheapest possible accommodations (I stayed at the La Quinta Airport) for this trip to reduce the money spent. Securing the border has far reaching national security implications, including in Missouri, and the focus should be on Joe Biden's failure to secure the border."

Schmitt, who is a candidate for the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate, filed the lawsuit in a Texas federal court arguing that President Biden's decision to halt construction on the border wall is unlawful because Congress approved the project in an appropriations bill that became law in December 2020.

Schmitt held a news conference Thursday with Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton near the Rio Grande River just outside of El Paso, Texas to announce the lawsuit.
Apparently the St Louis Post Dispatch (just another big city rag that's all in for the Dems) thinks that it was improper for the State to pay for the trip. I say bully for him - he's doing what is best for his state.

It is a little bit of grandstanding, though, considering he's running in the primary next year for a Senate seat. It's a pretty crowded field right now. But that's allowed IMO.

Funny thing he announced it in El Paso, though. Apparently politicians from BOTH parties prefer to make their statements in El Paso, far away from where the actual problems are. (I lived in Las Cruces for several years, so I am somewhat familiar with El Paso.)

And this is the moment when he wins next November's election

Still don't agree with the wall idea, but I am voting for him if he is the nominee for the Senate
LOYAL AG
AG
Tanya 93 said:

NormanAg said:

Quote:

Still don't agree with the wall idea, but I am voting for him if he is the nominee for the Senate

The wall is a terrible idea that is absolutely necessary. as long as there are economic incentives to come to the US, and there will always be economic incentives, we have to make sure we know who is coming and we can't do that with a wide open border.

I've done a complete 180 on this topic since a cousin from my "second family" was murdered by an illegal that has since returned to Mexico to hide. I actually think you've met my best friend whose cousin it is. Tall thin black man who I've brought to Olsen several times over the years. Anyway his family is one I love dearly and a few years ago an illegal killed one of them in a fit of road rage. Pulled over after a minor fender bender and shot him through the windshield. The kicker is he'd been deported not six months before this incident. The current system failed completely which is what it was designed to do.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Tanya 93
LOYAL AG said:

Tanya 93 said:

NormanAg said:

Quote:

The wall is a terrible idea that is absolutely necessary. as long as there are economic incentives to come to the US, and there will always be economic incentives, we have to make sure we know who is coming and we can't do that with a wide open border.

I've done a complete 180 on this topic since a cousin from my "second family" was murdered by an illegal that has since returned to Mexico to hide. I actually think you've met my best friend whose cousin it is. Tall thin black man who I've brought to Olsen several times over the years. Anyway his family is one I love dearly and a few years ago an illegal killed one of them in a fit of road rage. Pulled over after a minor fender bender and shot him through the windshield. The kicker is he'd been deported not six months before this incident. The current system failed completely which is what it was designed to do.

HOLY COW!
I do remember him. He found my catcher obsession amusing.

I am so sorry for your best friend. That is that is awful.
LOYAL AG
AG
Tanya 93 said:

LOYAL AG said:

Tanya 93 said:

NormanAg said:

Quote:

HOLY COW!
I do remember him. He found my catcher obsession amusing.

I am so sorry for your best friend. That is that is awful.

Yep I'd forgotten about that. Good memory!

What's most frustrating is there are two other cousins that are LEO so the family is able to keep tabs on what's going on and we're at a stalemate. They know exactly where he is but nothing is happening with regard to extradition I'm assuming because of the death penalty. It's really disappointing at this point.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
SW AG80
AG
Mexico will not extradite defendants back to Texas if the death penalty is still a possibility. Some DAs will hold out for a while to see if the bad guy gets caught in the US so the death penalty can be sought. But, from your brief rendition of the facts, I don't see what would make that murder a capital case.

We (the USA) has a treaty with Mexico that prosecutors have to abide by to get defendants back from Mexico. One conditions is to state under oath that the death penalty will not be sought.

A strange twist to this treaty, Mexico will not extradite unless the crime committed in Texas is also a crime in Mexico. In Mexico, Escape is not a crime. So when a defendant escapes from jail or a Texas prison, we have to seek extradition for the underlying felony offense the bad guy was in jail/prison for. And we have to state under oath that we will not prosecute him for escape.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.