How do we fix the truck driver shortage?

6,993 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by doubledog
No Spin Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seeing as how the younger generations (younger Millenials and Generation XYZ) aren't replacing those truckers who are either retiring, or quit to go do something else, what is the solution? For those who believe that private companies know best, what will they have to do to get things back on track? Or does the government need to do something to entice those generations to go into that field? Or, is it going to get bad enough that we will need to look at bringing in labor, like with farms, from other countries, because that's the only way we'll get people into those jobs that Americans aren't wanting to do?
MemphisAg1
AG
For starters, the government could stop paying people not to work.
MouthBQ98
AG
Pay more?
Scruffy
AG
DOT regs need to lighten up on hours.
Pay needs to be better and trucking companies need to stop trying to cheat deivers.
Shippers/receivers need to stop making pick ups/drops difficult and wasting drivers time.

I've been watching some youtube vids by several truckers. It has been eye opening.
Stupid@17
AG
A major issue right now are the chasis that the containers sit on if not stacked take up. Some big shops on west coast have the drivers but not the available chasis to load the containers.
Houston Lee
AG
Do what we always do when we have a worker shortage. Import people from India.

Doctor shortage: Bring them in from India
Engineer shortage: Bring them in from India
Call center shortage: Send calls to India

Truck driver shortage: Bring in drivers from India!

YouBet
AG
Thinking about this end to end...we are going to have to accelerate highway automation and then use human drivers from a near city DC from/to pickup and delivery points.

Upping pay will most likely lead to massive consolidation and M&A within the trucking companies to scale it.

Reality is we will probably plug the hole with foreign labor like everyone in the EU is doing. Our younger natives simply don't want to do this kind of work because they can only envision my first sentence and do not see the point in having human drivers when the tech is on the verge of existing.
aezmvp
Scruffy said:

Pay needs to be better and trucking companies need to stop trying to cheat deivers.
Shippers/receivers need to stop making pick ups/drops difficult and wasting drivers time.

I've been watching some youtube vids by several truckers. It has been eye opening.
Part of the problem that washes a lot of CDL drivers out is the down time at pick up/drop off. The drivers really aren't paid for that time. And it used to be you could park at those locations and not notate it on your paper logs, with electronic logs those hours count against you and it really hurts your earning potential.
agdaddy04
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Pay more?

Truck drivers make quite a bit. It's not a career they tell you about in high school though.
Dill-Ag13
AG
They don't make good hourly rates and work like dogs to make what they make
PooDoo
AG
aezmvp said:

Scruffy said:

Part of the problem that washes a lot of CDL drivers out is the down time at pick up/drop off. The drivers really aren't paid for that time. And it used to be you could park at those locations and not notate it on your paper logs, with electronic logs those hours count against you and it really hurts your earning potential.

I dont understand how those hours would count against you? Could you explain?
CrawlingNo5
AG
Scruffy said:

Drivers would still find ways to ***** and moan about wasting their time. **** happens when you show up 4 hours late to your delivery. There's a reason why we have appt times. And the problem is only made worse by the staffing shortages.

My opinion is to lesson the Hours of Service requirement. Many of OTR guys complain that there is no money to be made. Also, need more truck stops and places to rest. That's a huge problem (however one could argue truckers are to blame because they leave trash everywhere)
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Rather than just give away money, I think paying for CDL training at a 3% return over 12 months would draw more people in. The major block is the CDL that is required, not the money. Or, we could focus on paying for abortions, birth control, college, vaccines, sex changes, etc..
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
No Spin Ag
I gotta say you guys provided way more ideas and info than I was expecting. I don't know much about the industry, I just know, thanks to a lot of you guys, that it's a problem and I don't see anyone in a position to do anything, provide ideas or solutions like presented here. Hopefully they will and soon because I doubt we can go another decade like this.
Speedbird087
AG
Scruffy said:

Went down the rabbit hole of YouTube American trucking channels 3 or 4 years ago. Like you said, it is very eye-opening.

Speaking of 'eye-opening', Polish trucker Iwona Blecharczyk's channel is very good.
fightingfarmer09
Fix the logistical nightmare that resulted from NIMBY policies on warehouse storage.

The restrictions on stacking containers is one of the major issues in Long Beach.
Win At Life
AG
Speedbird087 said:

Scruffy said:

Went down the rabbit hole of YouTube American trucking channels 3 or 4 years ago. Like you said, it is very eye-opening.

Speaking of 'eye-opening', Polish trucker Iwona Blecharczyk's channel is very good.

I watched a TV documentary on long haul trucking a year or so ago. It's not the huge money maker people say it is. Everyone claiming it is, doesn't drive a truck.
Demosthenes81
AG
Shift student loans to needed careers and away from useless ones.
Seven and three are ten, not only now, but forever. There has never been a time when seven and three were not ten, nor will there ever be a time when they are not ten. Therefore, I have said that the truth of number is incorruptible and common to all who think. — St. Augustine
Foreverconservative
Do away with the 21 year old interstate travel restrictions. If you're old enough to take a bullet for your country you are old enough to haul produce/products across state lines.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
Scruffy
AG
Yup.
Electronic logs combined with the DOT hours are killing any chance at making money.
mazag08
AG
It's quite simple really.. and it goes for every industry..

Get the government out of the way as a backstop for failure.

If you can't pay your bills, and refuse to find charity that will accommodate you, then you fail. It's painful, and it could even be life or death. But nothing motivates like hunger.

Instead.. people know they can skip out on hard work to attempt to be a full time youtube reactor. When they fail to make enough to buy a single taco from taco bell, they know the government will support them.
Foreverconservative
Scruffy said:

Yup.
Electronic logs combined with the DOT hours are killing any chance at making money.
Meh

I know several guys here in the Valley that, own their own trucks and reefers run E Log legal and make a living but they are never home and run it right to the limits. After three years they pay off the truck and things get a lot better. It's not an occupation for anyone expecting a family home life.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
Cromagnum
AG
David Wallace said:

I don't know about you, but I don't want Indians anywhere near big rigs.
Foreverconservative
The problems in Long Beach at the docks and California in general are 100% self inflicted and based on Newsome selling out to the unions and allowing them to monopolize the industry in that state.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Cromagnum said:

David Wallace said:

If you've been paying attention, you would know that there are already a lot of Sikh truck drivers out there.

Next time you go past a mom and pop truck stop, see if they offer Punjabi food. A lot of them even advertise it.
Burdizzo
AG
Scruffy said:

Relaxing the DOT medical rules would help too. I lost my CDL because I check one too many boxes on the medical form (age, overweight, marginal BP, and able to fall asleep watching TV)
TTUArmy
PooDoo said:

aezmvp said:

Scruffy said:

Pay needs to be better and trucking companies need to stop trying to cheat drivers.

I don't understand how those hours would count against you? Could you explain?
OTR Truck drivers work off of 4 clocks.

To your question...the biggest hang up is the 14 hour clock. A driver can only work 14 hours a day...driving, tarping, strapping, loading, unloading, sitting around waiting. Even if a driver puts themselves in "Off-duty" status, that 14 hour clock keeps rolling...and often times when a driver is sitting at a shipper/receiver for numerous hours, waiting to be loaded/unloaded. It burns their 14 hour clock down.

There is a workaround to stop the 14 hour clock, but you have to remain parked for at least 2-3 hours. No truck movement. Often times, when a trucker tries to pull a 2-3 hour "off-duty/sleeper berth" split, to stop their 14-hour clock, the shipper/receiver will have them pull around to a door, or make them pull away from the dock, moving the truck before the 2-3 hour split is complete. The 14 hour clock resumes right where they tried to work in their split.

The Brazos Kid
A lot of good YouTube trucking channels out there. I used to have one (actually still exists) but got out of a truck 5 years ago. I just film them now.

For your standard OTR operation, it's less of a driver shortage and more of a churn issue: drivers constantly jumping from company to company looking for the best job they can get.

Sure, there is a shortage here and there depending on a company's location and what they might haul. Dedicated 3PL lanes can sometimes be hard to fill. Case in point, my previous employer hauled windows. The pool of qualified drivers in the vicinity along with those that will go beyond just driving dock to dock and actually do the required hand unloading of all the product can be hard to come by.
TTUArmy
HollywoodBQ said:

Cromagnum said:

David Wallace said:

If you've been paying attention, you would know that there are already a lot of Sikh truck drivers out there.

Next time you go past a mom and pop truck stop, see if they offer Punjabi food. A lot of them even advertise it.
Many of the young, Indian truck drivers are fearless, unsafe, and rude to boot. They roll 70+mph because they are getting dispatched at 60mph, when the industry standard is 50mph.
Philip J Fry
AG
Vaccine Mandate should help.
HollywoodBQ
AG
TTUArmy said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Cromagnum said:

David Wallace said:

Many of the young, Indian truck drivers are fearless, unsafe, and rude to boot. They roll 70+mph because they are getting dispatched at 60mph, when the industry standard is 50mph.
That does not surprise me. The first part is just a characteristic of being Indian.

The second part also kind of doesn't surprise me. I'm in IT and we frequently see Indian outsourcers taking on contracts that don't make any sense or have unreasonable terms for regular American workers.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Vaccine Mandate should help.
did laugh
cisgenderedAggie
AI
Krazykat
AG
GasAg90
According to the White House the problem isn't the number of truck drivers, it's the fact that there are too many trucks.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.