Labor shortage. Where did they go?

7,097 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
itsyourboypookie said:

Fat girls would work for free pancakes at ihop in CS in my day.

Now they make the same money eating pancakes on only fans
That was sick, twisted and sadly - TRUE
Tanya 93
For some families on one income now, a few of the kid activities may end up going away for many couples.

But that is going to be a good thing for play time
flashplayer
AG
The other thing that hit me today and might have been mentioned early in the thread- service industry shortages would seem to create a powerful positive feedback loop, wherein the shortage severely impacts those still working to the point they have to change careers / job markets just to survive.

If you can't make tips or wages because your employer can't stay staffed enough to open, you'd quickly jump ship to a place without that problem -Making the issue even worse. That doesn't even take into account how crappy it must be to serve the impatient customers when you're the only one or 2 people willing to work. Sad times for those folks who enjoyed that work.
Tanya 93
Most people I know tip more now to keep the workers there because it is one of their favorite places
HollywoodBQ
AG
Yep. Got a 23 y/o who was making $6,000/mo doing Instacart during the summer of 2020. Now, she's making about $600 a month.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of police officer jobs that need applicants like her paying $85,000/yr.

I'm optimistic that she'll figure it out because the First Bank of Dad is about to close.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Most people I know tip more now to keep the workers there because it is one of their favorite places
This is me.
I used to tip 10-15%.
Now, I start at 20% and have even gone up to 50% before just to thank the workers for actually working.
YouBet
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

YouBet said:

txyaloo said:

AggiEE said:

WestAustinAg said:

Workers by the millions left the service industry never to return.

I don't know why the tech industry is having the same issue salaries are high and companies are profitable and growing.
No one has the qualifications for these jobs
I disagree. A big part of the issue is the recruiting system is terribly broken. ATS are garbage. Job descriptions are garbage. Recruiters are garbage.

I'm starting a new job Monday. The req was for a generic program manager role. The actual role is pretty specialized. If I didn't have a referral and knowledge of the role, I never would have even had an interview. I've been casually applying for jobs over the last 3 months. I see the same reqs posted week after week. Jobs I'm well qualified for that doesn't even garner a pre-screen from a recruiter.

I flat out had one recruiter at a fintech start-up tell me he blindly rejected my resume b/c I had no startup experience even though I was a referral w/10 years of specialized experience in their industry working with the customer base they were trying to grow.

It's insane

This is absolutely happening because I just got an automated email from a company saying they reviewed my resume and have decided to pass on me.

Lolwut! I know the hiring exec and have worked with him for 20 years as a customer. We've been playing phone tag on discussing the job, but I when ahead and put my resume and application in just to get it going.

Im as qualified as a person they will find out there for this job. This HR algorithm crap that runs the show these days is just that - crap. The fact that HR wouldn't even deem me worthy for a phone screen is insanity.
As the hiring manager, you have to get the recruiters out of the way.

I've looked at more than 700 resumes for 8 positions I've been hiring for. I figured out pretty quickly that HR didn't have a clue so, I cut them out of the initial screening process.
Agreed, but as someone else said when I was in hiring mode it was challenging to find the time on my own to headhunt people. And HR doesn't make it easy in big corporate world to even pass your own resumes through the process, in my experience.

BTW, I ended up talking to the exec last night and we had a good laugh about his HR department circle filing me. He had to go to them and have them pull my resume out of whatever fail status they had me in.
TxTarpon

Quote:

At the IHOP on Hwy 6 after the game. The other IHOP going south on Hwy 6 is closed. This one has shortened hours. We walk in to see the restaurant 1/2 empty because people keep coming and leaving. 2 waitresses. 2 people in the kitchen and I think they're both managers.

Where are the workers? How are people making money if they're not working. Stimulus checks stopped a year ago.

Seriously - WTF is going on.
My restaurant/bar owning friends have said their server staff used the time off during COVID to retrain and get better jobs at Amazon, coding or the govt.
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
TxTarpon
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It would make sense that the people most at risk of seeing their job disappear for stretches thanks to the whims of the Clay Jenkins of the world would find a new line of work

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.