Anyone know where I can get one of those Democrat prop guns?

4,265 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Boo Weekley
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Capstone said:

What confuses me the most about this story is that it's my understanding that the two individuals shot were the director of photography and the director… why was he aiming in their direction, in the first place?

The realistic shot
hbtheduce
AG
Making a movie is an area where that rule doesn't apply. How stupid would it look if you can't point a weapon at someone in a scene?
Longbowranch
How stupid would an actor look if they killed a lady and wounded another guy?
Capstone
AG
Well, they certainly got that.
maverick2076
hbtheduce said:

Making a movie is an area where that rule doesn't apply. How stupid would it look if you can't point a weapon at someone in a scene?

That's why they make prop guns/non-firing replicas. This was a real firearm, capable of firing live ammo. And if you pick up a firearm, point it at someone, and pull the trigger, than you are responsible for what occurs…even if someone else tells you it's "cold".

"I didn't think it was loaded" is no excuse for negligence. Not in the real world, and not in Hollywood.
hbtheduce
AG
Which is why there are supposed to be a bunch of safety checks. But hey, if we want to be willfully obtuse..... I think all movies should just discharged the weapons straight into the ground and just have the bad guy fall over. I think it would look super realistic and fun to watch.
hbtheduce
AG
They also use real weapons with blanks for a more realistic action, noise, muzzle flash, etc. in the grand scheme of things their incident rate has been acceptable despite this incident.

Continuing with terrible ideas: let's just use airsoft guns for all films. The orange ring on the barrel will let me the viewer know that the actors were all safe during its filming.
atmtws
AG
It'll never happen, but it would be epic.
/W\ Saw 'Em Off! /W\
BTHO tu.
maverick2076
hbtheduce said:

They also use real weapons with blanks for a more realistic action, noise, muzzle flash, etc. in the grand scheme of things their incident rate has been acceptable despite this incident.

Continuing with terrible ideas: let's just use airsoft guns for all films. The orange ring on the barrel will let me the viewer know that the actors were all safe during its filming.

I'm sure the cinematographer's family doesn't find it "acceptable". But hey, as long as you're entertained.
hbtheduce
AG
maverick2076 said:

hbtheduce said:

I'm sure the cinematographer's family doesn't find it "acceptable". But hey, as long as you're entertained.

The pearl clutching is intense. You think this was her first time around a "cold" gun? Why did they let her take the job if it was unacceptable? Why did she choose to keep working if it wasn't acceptable?

Also entertainment is the Hollywood's entire job. If it looks stupid or breaks immersion, they are doing a bad job.
maverick2076
No one is "clutching pearls". However, I find people's response to absolve Alec Baldwin of responsibility for killing someone because "he's an actor" to be pathetic. He pointed a real firearm, not a prop, at a person and he pulled the trigger. He is 100% responsible for killing another human being with a firearm, because he did not take the most basic of safety precautions to verify that it was unloaded. He then failed to follow even the safety tips provided for actors by the Actors Equity Association.

" Never point a firearm at anyone including yourself. Always cheat the shot by aiming to the right or left of the target character. If asked to point and shoot directly at a living target, consult with the property master or armorer for the prescribed safety procedures."

Alec Baldwin pulled the trigger, and someone died as a result of his negligence. He should be in jail for his actions. That's what would happen to any other firearm owner in this situation that was not a Hollywood actor.
zephyr88
AG
Some of y'all are just plain crazy. I get it, you hate Baldwin. But he lives in a make believe world where they routinely use semi-real guns that shoot make-believe bullets. On the set, he was delivered a "cold gun" which ended up not being "cold". I hear all the gun safety folks out there, but this is make-believe land where nothing is real. He might have never checked it because he's just an actor. He's given everything... clothes to wear, lines to say, props to fulfill his role. In this case, if you're looking to assign guilt/responsibility, it's the person that handed him the prop.

edit for clarity... I think Baldwin is a complete dick, but I don't think he's a murderer.
hbtheduce
AG
maverick2076 said:

No one is "clutching pearls". However, I find people's response to absolve Alec Baldwin of responsibility for killing someone because "he's an actor" to be pathetic. He pointed a real firearm, not a prop, at a person and he pulled the trigger. He is 100% responsible for killing another human being with a firearm, because he did not take the most basic of safety precautions to verify that it was unloaded. He then failed to follow even the safety tips provided for actors by the Actors Equity Association.

" Never point a firearm at anyone including yourself. Always cheat the shot by aiming to the right or left of the target character. If asked to point and shoot directly at a living target, consult with the property master or armorer for the prescribed safety procedures."

Alec Baldwin pulled the trigger, and someone died as a result of his negligence. He should be in jail for his actions. That's what would happen to any other firearm owner in this situation that was not a Hollywood actor.

The people saying "think of her family" while ignoring the realities of making a realistic and entertaining movie are clutching their pearls.

Hollywood uses real guns with blanks regularly. This incident is highly irregular because they have people they pay to go through the safety checks so the actor doesn't have to. The armorer and their assistant are the ones who handed Baldwin the gun and said it was "cold". He didn't just go grab it off the table and start swing it around.

Because of that I am skeptical of his criminal liability. And I think the guy is a chode. I think the failure that implicates him the most is that he is a producer in charge of the safety checks and armorer (who failed). I hope he gets taken to the cleaners financially. I just don't see a murder or manslaughter charge based on what we know.

If you want to argue there was a cover up that changed the public facts of the case, argue it. But the willful ignorance pretending it's crazy a gun was pointed at another human on the set of a movie is pathetic and grasping for straws to put someone they don't like behind bars.
hbtheduce
AG
If you have paid people for years to do gun safety checks, and they have handed you a safe gun hundreds if not thousands of times, you aren't going to second guess it. It's why they hire the armorer in the first place. You don't want the actor thinking about safety, you want them in character thinking of their role.
Tim The Toolman
zephyr88
AG
Agree.

That's who everyone should be talking about.
LonghornDub
Let's go Baldwin.
gdawg
You don't shed tears if you don't care. I don't like the guys politics, but at the end of the day we are all human beings. He was immediately upset and has to live with this tragedy the rest of his life. Cut the guy a break!
pdc093
"This incident is highly irregular"....
Maybe so. BUT, as more details become available, it seems a camera operator complained last weekend about gun safety on the set.
Look, I loathe Baldwin and those LIKE him who wish death on those they disagree with. His are WELL documented. As well as his vile comments about law enforcement. I'm NOT SORRY that he's reaping what HE HIMSELF has sown.
Boo Weekley
Was it murder or manslaughter? Almost certainly not. But a crazy evil hate filled woman abusing white liberal will probably be going through mental anguish to the point of contemplating suicide and that is not a bad thing.

That is the ONLY silver lining I can possibly conjure up from this horrible accident.

I hope he completely loses it and has to spend the rest of his days in a state run mental facility. That should be our hope for all evil white liberals.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.