What Is happening at the Cali ports and how to fix it

6,061 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by eric76
Keegan99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fascinating Twitter thread from someone who is familiar with supply chains.

CajunAg97
AG
No one wants to work any more
In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.
Aggie95
AG
seem like logical solutions........I guess we'll never seem them implemented
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Absolutely all according to plan. If this ain't joe Biden's amerika I don't know what is.

FJB
Rock1982
AG
Grim. Will destroy the world economy.
Tree Hugger
AG
Son has anyone seen any empty shelves like the MSM is talking about?

I live in Oregon and today I received an Amazon shipment (from China) that my wife ordered and it was more than a week ahead of schedule. We also haven't seen any empty shelves anywhere, even though my mom back in TX asked several times if it was a problem out here because she has had problems with some inventory in TX.
SouthTex99
AG
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
Ag87H2O
AG
Read somewhere that another reason there aren't enough trucks to haul the containers is due to California emmission rules that require 4 year old or newer model trucks that meet current emmission standards.

Waive the standards and let the truckers that want to work do what they do.

This is what happens when you have people that have never run a business, have no idea how to make business work, and hate capitalism in general run the show.

Give Democrats control for long enough and they will create a self induced cluster every single time.
hbtheduce
AG
I see a lot of "FORCE COMPANY TO DO XXXXXX"

Hey dip****s, the whole "FORCE COMPANY TO ONLY STACK 2 HIGH" is one reason this is a disaster. Communist idiots can't stop stepping on their own dick.

Remove the rules, the companies will figure it out. Its not ****ing rocket science.
aggiepanic95
AG
Quote:

Leadership is the missing ingredient at this point.
Well ain't that the truth.
stetson
AG
Biden/Gavin Administrations: "Okay, but how does this hurt the economy"?
Layne Staley
AG
I have been stocking up all the essentials for several weeks and now my kids finally understand. Lead times on one of the product lines my company sells has gone from 6 weeks to 6 months since just a couple months ago.

This is by design. F you Biden and the rest of your evil cabal. Same with every Leftist everywhere that sits idly by.
UTExan
Just bypass the port of Long Beach altogether: use Gulf and Florida ports for delivery. Once they lose $100 billion a year in revenue plus the impact of 316,000 jobs lost, they will quickly adjust to market economics.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Win At Life
AG
Ag87H2O said:

Read somewhere that another reason there aren't enough trucks to haul the containers is due to California emmission rules that require 4 year old or newer model trucks that meet current emmission standards.

This is what happens when you have people that have never run a business, have no idea how to make business work, and hate capitalism in general run the show.

Give Democrats control for long enough and they will create a self induced cluster every single time.

This is the reason for the California backup, and the reason we don't have this problem in the Gulf or east coast. California has create this California problem.
padreislandagfan
Since we are on the subject, I am in need of a few 40' sea containers in S. Texas.
I think you could likely get a great deal on them right now.
Any leads?
samurai_science
Tree Hugger said:

Son has anyone seen any empty shelves like the MSM is talking about?

I live in Oregon and today I received an Amazon shipment (from China) that my wife ordered and it was more than a week ahead of schedule. We also haven't seen any empty shelves anywhere, even though my mom back in TX asked several times if it was a problem out here because she has had problems with some inventory in TX.
Yes, they are becoming more common.
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Read the Goal. Great book on supply chains and bottlenecks in general. The fact that they are just now thinking of this tells me they are doing this on purpose. They don't care as it's another way to inflict pain.

Also contradicts mayor butts theory that it's because America is prosperous and demanding more goods. We have idiots in charge everywhere.
samurai_science
Democrats are going to eat a giant crap sandwich pretty soon, its going to be glorious.
richardag
Keegan99

Weird, he didn't mention COVID-19 once in his assessment of the problem. Do you think maybe the democratic party leadership hasn't been quite honest with us?
Those who don’t know history are doomed to repeat it.
Edmund Burke
Keegan99
AG
Ag87H2O said:

That's contributing to the problem - the overall shortage of chassis (trucks) that can move goods.
TexasAggiesWin
S
Governments all throughout the US have bent their rules in the name of COVID the past 18 months…. But when it comes to this problem, they can't bend the rules? Seems like a plan to cause more pain and suffering
Keegan99
AG

Twitter actually getting some results!
samurai_science
Now imagine if we had actual leadership, and they went and LOOKED AT THE FREAKING ISSUES.
aezmvp
Another part of the issue is that the port operators are not paying OT or weekend pay to the longshoremen, they aren't negatively affected by a port back up. And the closed union shop and California regulations make it impossible to hire temporary labor. Catch 22.
Ag In Ok
AG
Damn. This country is effectively constrained by HOAs and zoning rules
Muy
AG
Where is the Gay Caballero Transportation Secretary?
Glenlivet
AG
aggiepanic95 said:

Quote:

Leadership is the missing ingredient at this point.
Well ain't that the truth.
Well it's because the "leader" is learning to breastfeed...and the head vegetable is busy doing town halls and threatening Americans who don't want his cure for the covid
chris1515
AG
Does this mean I can buy a shipping container cheap?
UTExan
Keegan99 said:

Twitter actually getting some results!

Mayor Garcia must have learned from his experience in mandating bonuses for grocery store workers and having two Kroger supermarkets leave Long Beach as a result.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Kenneth_2003
AG
Good lord "Twitter media" is insufferable reading
MouthBQ98
AG
Any heavy loader with forks can handle empty containers. They can stack them 2 high manually at an empty lot. A very large forklift or telehandler can move light or empty containers and stack them maybe 3 high, maybe 4.

They could fill up temp lots easily with a basic spreadsheet/gps logging and grid layout to clear the jam, and optimize the carriers for unloading.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Too bad we can't just make the stuff here.
murphyag
AG
Quit buying junk from overseas.
TheMasterplan
This **** infuriates me as someone who depends on things being made in the states and across the world.

The delays began in November 2020 and we're just now acting on it. Focusing too much on Trump and social justice nonsense instead of focusing on REAL ISSUES and what is the cause of them and the downstream effects of them.

Clown world.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.