Texas can't regulate itself, EPA must step in

3,614 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PA24
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://amp.statesman.com/amp/8456682002

Opinion piece from a concerned friend in Austin.

Quote:

A mounting body of research is making it painfully clear that the state of Texas is both unwilling and unable to manage the massive quantity of emissions being released from flares, storage tanks, and other equipment at oil and gas wells and production sites across the state. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) must step in and do what Texas' regulators cannot or will not do.
Marcus Brutus
Or Texas could leave the union.
Slyfox07
AG
Marxist regime gonna do what marxist regimes do.
Agthatbuilds
Yeah, that's a no from me dog

And, if we've learned anything from covid, we can just ignore any govt edict or judgement that we want to.
flashplayer
AG
Texas making bank. It's time to investigate this lawless land.
BertMacklinFBI
I am sure whatever Marxist regulation they propose will bring down energy prices! /Sarcasm
Slyfox07
AG
Maybe after Texit, we can supply expensive energy to what's left of the United States after they voluntarily lop their own nuts off in the name of "science".
Ag87H2O
AG

Texas message to the EPA.
sports
Man just leave us alone already
Teslag
AG
Problem: Texas was crippled by energy shortages that led to homes freezing for days without power.

Government solution: further cripple and restrict a cheap and abundant energy supply for Texans.
twk
AG
If you don't like flaring, build more pipelines and LNG facilities. Would be nice if we could sell that stuff to the Europeans given the price of gas over there. But, that's not really what the environmental whackos want.
halfastros81
AG
Two thoughts here:

1) Cryptocurrency miners to the rescue!

2) will we ever see this headline?. " A mounting body of research is making it painfully clear that the City of Austin is both unwilling and unable to manage the massive crime and related safety concerns for their residents they have invited with their unsound policies on law enforcement. The State of Texas must step in and do what the Austin regulators cannot or will
Not do."
Agthatbuilds
Maybe just give the wells a free, safe and effective non pollution vaccine that works for 6 months?
VaultingChemist
AG
About the author, Tim Doty…..

Quote:

I worked for the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) for 28-and-a-half years, including 17 years managing its air mobile monitoring assets, and another 3 years as its Optical Gas Imaging (OGI) Program Manager/Instructor and as an Office of Compliance and Enforcement technical advisor. I did this because I believed in the agency's mission to protect Texans' public health and natural resources. But I retired after it became increasingly clear that the agency's leadership had little to no interest in proactively monitoring, documenting and minimizing air emissions in Texas.
The TCEQ is a slightly watered-down version of the EPA.
Evidently Tim is a true believer in manmade global warming.
Rydyn
AG
slyfox07 said:

Maybe after Texit, we can supply expensive energy to what's left of the United States after they voluntarily lop their own nuts off in the name of "science".
Yep. ANYONE who says Texas can't survive alone in trade needs to just think how profitable it would be if we were on the other side of the Oil and Gas equation.

Move aside, OPEC...
We live on a tax farm as free range humans.
Owlagdad
Yet, they bulldoze the hillsides of west Austin and concrete the hill country so more of these arseholes can move in, and of course use lots of gas to to go back and forth into Austin. \

the tone of the OP statement reeks of CONTROL-- control of you, but not them.
BAP Enthusiast
Champ Bailey said:

Quote:

A mounting body of research is making it painfully clear that the state of Texas is both unwilling and unable to manage the massive quantity of emissions being released from flares, storage tanks, and other equipment at oil and gas wells and production sites across the state. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) must step in and do what Texas' regulators cannot or will not do.

This person is a complete moron. TCEQ does regulate emissions from flares, storage tanks, and other equipment at well sites. 40 CFR part 60 Subpart (NSPS) OOOOa as well as other regulations like NSPS JJJJ and 40 CFR Part 63 (MACT OR NESHAP) ZZZZ do regulate emissions from well sites.

Since TCEQ has primacy over all federal regulations, they regulate these through the permitting system, which includes PBRs with emissions up to 25 tpy of VOC and then Standard Permits for anything up to 250 tpy.

As someone who deals regularly with regulatory agencies all over the country, Texas is one of the more stricter states. The permitting system here is far more robust than many other states.

I really really hate these people.
BAP Enthusiast
VaultingChemist said:

Quote:

I worked for the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) for 28-and-a-half years, including 17 years managing its air mobile monitoring assets, and another 3 years as its Optical Gas Imaging (OGI) Program Manager/Instructor and as an Office of Compliance and Enforcement technical advisor. I did this because I believed in the agency's mission to protect Texans' public health and natural resources. But I retired after it became increasingly clear that the agency's leadership had little to no interest in proactively monitoring, documenting and minimizing air emissions in Texas.

I refuse to believe this person worked anywhere near their permitting system or in compliance. He has no clue what he is talking about.
Enviroag02
AG
Author loses any credibility by attacking the practice of flaring while also discussing the importance of reducing methane emissions. Uh..flaring reduces methane emissions. Now if they want to talk about how existing regulation lags behind the development of technology (monitoring, measurement, capturing, etc), that is a valid argument and discussion to have, but to criticize companies that are operating under the existing limits and regulations is idiotic.
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
I attended a conference in a past life, that was run by the EPA & TCEQ in Jefferson, Texas of all places.

Cannot even begin to explain how uncomfortable it is to be smack in the middle of the logging industry in Texas with that crowd of insufferable wet blankets. Eta (by insufferable wet blankets I mean the pasty white leftists nut jobs running the event(s)).
TRX
AG
VaultingChemist said:

Quote:

People like him are dangerous when they have input or control of public policy on any level. It's good that he's out but bad that he was ever there in the first place.

I work in the energy industry and the amount of AGW / energy transition BS going on is literally insane. Companies are wasting so much money just to placate the true believers, and in the end the world will still need fossil fuels for the foreseeable future. It's sad to see such waste and misinformation, but the true believers are having a huge effect on decisions companies make.

FJB
UTExan
Champ Bailey said:

Quote:

Simply state the truth: these emissions are actually from body gases exuded by the hordes of illegal immigrants on the border.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
schmellba99
AG
Yeah....let's let the awesome EPA regulate us!

Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Retired, huh.

Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
One of my main gripes about Trump not keeping his mouth shut and the mail in voter fraud, he didn't have a chance to continue gutting and castrating the EPA. TCEQ isn't great, but no reason to have the bloated EPA meddling in state regs on top of that.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Quote:

Ok, embargo Texas Oil & Gas from the rest of the Union.
fullback44
AG
My buddy is very very high up Ing the TCEQ… the EPA doesn't like some of their opinions … they fight for Texas first
Aggie Spirit
AG
Heeeey Tim. Commiefornia is calling.
You should go.
annie88
AG
More like a concerned idiot.
Showertime at the Bidens

I thought this was going to be a post about all the homeless crap on the sidewalks in Austin.

A park ranger told us not to get in the water at McKinney Falls because there was a homeless encampment Upstream and needles and drug paraphernalia were washing down the creek along with human excrement.
rgag12
AG
Nice Tesla you got there Lib, would stink if the EPA came in and you couldn't power it.
cevans_40
AG
Never would have guessed it
Alpha Texan
AG
They should fix California first....

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/04/us/gallery/california-oil-spill-2021/index.html
Phatbob
AG
Just remember, as Americans you have freedoms... specifically you have the freedom to do exactly as you are told to by the elite, otherwise it is an abuse of those freedoms and doesn't count.
txags92
AG
TCEQ is so much more effective and efficient than the EPA, it isn't even funny. EPA would have no clue how to regulate Texas industry and trying to give them the task would cause a massive meltdown (which is probably the real goal of the Marxists). One of the big issues was EPA trying to take away Texas' flexible permits. It was a groundbreaking and innovative way to regulate industry in a way that allowed permittees to manage their business with flexibility instead of having to come to the regulators every time something changed. So of course EPA had to try to shut it down.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.