Biden Urges Congress To Extend Eviction Moratorium In 11th Hour Plea

2,655 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by C@LAg
Ghost Mech
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Quote:

"For nearly 11 months, the CDC's eviction moratorium has served as a critical backstop to prevent hard-pressed renters and their families who lost jobs or income due to the COVID-19 pandemic from being evicted for nonpayment of rent," reads a Thursday statement by the White House.

"In light of the Supreme Court's ruling, the President calls on Congress to extend the eviction moratorium to protect such vulnerable renters and their families without delay."

Last month the Supreme court left the CDC's moratorium intact in a 5-4 vote, however Justice Brett Brett Kavanaugh joined with the court's liberal justices in determining that the CDC had exceeded its authority, and would not be able to extend it again unless by an act of Congress

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/biden-makes-11th-hour-plea-congress-extend-eviction-moratorium
What do you think? Do they placate their base or banker buddies?

ChemEAg08
AG
Can't have people going back to work and learning to provide for themselves. They'd eventually be red pilled and then the dems would have to cheat even further to win.
Artorias
AG
Get a ****ing job and pay your rent.
jefe95
AG
Why didn't he ask for this a month ago?

Why is it not in the "infrastructure" bill?

Why didn't congress write a stand alone bill?

My Name Is Judge
Gotta get citizens outa the landlord game so government can buy everything up via hedge fund & provide state housing

& the sheep just keep eating it up
hbtheduce
AG
You can't end rent payments forever. It was a ******ed policy before, it will be better to rip the bandaid off now then in a year (or the dem dream of ever again)
Rapier108
The Senate GOP will cave like always. It will pass the House regardless.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
DallasAg 94
MouthBQ98
AG
Pay your damn debts, freeloaders.
MouthBQ98
AG
Also, if you're mad at anyone, go after the CoVID overreaction and fear pushers in government that took away your job and put you in debt in the first place.

Look for the ones labeled "D", for selfish a-hole, (which doesn't have a D in it for some reason)
BQ78
AG
No Joe, stop infringing on people's fifth amendment rights.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
MuchosPollos said:

Quote:

"For nearly 11 months, the CDC's eviction moratorium has served as a critical backstop to prevent hard-pressed renters and their families who lost jobs or income due to the COVID-19 pandemic from being evicted for nonpayment of rent," reads a Thursday statement by the White House.

"In light of the Supreme Court's ruling, the President calls on Congress to extend the eviction moratorium to protect such vulnerable renters and their families without delay."

Last month the Supreme court left the CDC's moratorium intact in a 5-4 vote, however Justice Brett Brett Kavanaugh joined with the court's liberal justices in determining that the CDC had exceeded its authority, and would not be able to extend it again unless by an act of Congress

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/biden-makes-11th-hour-plea-congress-extend-eviction-moratorium
What do you think? Do they placate their base or banker buddies?

Unfortunately he is whispering to his banker buddies off to the side "I'll take care of you next".
samurai_science
Rapier108 said:

The Senate GOP will cave like always. It will pass the House regardless.
Every GOP senator could vote no and it will still pass, unless they filibuster
fightingfarmer09
Why not make it illegal to evict forever.
samurai_science
Hopefully they dont have time to pass a bill
EllisCoAg
AG
let's see the State got funds, county got funds and municipalities got funds, as of right down they can't spend what they have. they are fighting over the same poor folks trying to give the funds away.
No Spin Ag
Artorias said:

Exactly. There's no reason someone who was out of work for a couple of months couldn't have, by now, found a way to pay their rent and back rent.

It should've ended under Trump, but it needs to for sure end now, otherwise there's no point in ever ending it.
Slyfox07
AG
Artorias said:

THIS.

There are signs all over the country of businesses that are unable to operate efficiently because of a labor shortage that WE CREATED and continue to fund with our tax dollars.
Rocky Rider
AG
Meanwhile large investment houses are buying entire neighborhoods which are under development with a plan to rent the homes.

There is a move afoot I think to drive mom and pops out of the landlord business and create more room for the Wall Street investors.
Maroon Dawn
AG
No rent is the #1 thing letting the freeloaders stay at home and not get a job

Dems never want that to end
Slyfox07
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

No rent is the #1 thing letting the freeloaders stay at home and not get a job

Dems never want that to end
I personally know freeloaders that are sitting on their ass in an Austin apartment hoping Covid never ends.

They also rented a car and never returned it. Six weeks later the police came and took it back.

NO repercussions.
wyoag93
AG
These deadbeats are the same idiots who demand social equity. Too ****ing lazy to work...but they have plenty of time to criticize the wealth that ambitious people have built.
12thMan9
AG
Rocky Rider said:

Meanwhile large investment houses are buying entire neighborhoods which are under development with a plan to rent the homes.

There is a move afoot I think to drive mom and pops out of the landlord business and create more room for the Wall Street investors.
Uh, who's going to pay the rent?
Ronnie '88
Pinche Guero
AG
They need you dependent on them, it's the only way they stay in power (assuming fair elections)
Ghost Mech
12thMan9 said:

Rocky Rider said:

I do a lot of multi-family and Fannie/Freddie loan due diligence for large MF properties. Most of the properties I've been on don't really have that big of a problem with COVID evictions. There are some of course, but the worst I've seen was 10% on a property in Cedar Hill (south Dallas). Most are around 2-4% of total units.

The odd thing was that on-time collections and % occupancy actually went up during last year for the non-eviction units. People got their rent in on-time just to "keep a roof over their head".

It depends on the market and property management company but from what I've seen multi-family properties are printing cash right now.

Can't really speak to individual or mom/pop properties.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Would part of the ability of tenants in multi family properties being able to pay rent be a result of decreased demand for things like fuel and clothing coupled with additional money by way of enhanced UE benefits, etc?

The problem with the biden people relying on the Supreme Court decision is that they let it slide because the law is set to expire on 7/31.
Ghost Mech
I'm sure it has something to do with it. I was just sharing what I hear from the property managers.

The truth is, the "eviction crisis" is largely overblown. Yes, there are issues but not nearly as bad its being portrayed...go figure. Banks are going to cash in and so are states via direct rental assistance payments from the Fed govt.

Malibu
MuchosPollos said:

12thMan9 said:

Rocky Rider said:

I do a lot of multi-family and Fannie/Freddie loan due diligence for large MF properties. Most of the properties I've been on don't really have that big of a problem with COVID evictions. There are some of course, but the worst I've seen was 10% on a property in Cedar Hill (south Dallas). Most are around 2-4% of total units.

The odd thing was that on-time collections and % occupancy actually went up during last year for the non-eviction units. People got their rent in on-time just to "keep a roof over their head".

It depends on the market and property management company but from what I've seen multi-family properties are printing cash right now.

Can't really speak to individual or mom/pop properties.
If you're doing the agency underwriting you're just seeing the rent roll and top line, not necessarily how the sausage was made. Uncle Sam (the taxpayers) made us greedy landlords with access to agency debt whole, so evictions for non-payment weren't necessary. Absent Uncle Sam, it could have been a lot worse, which is kind of the point of stimulus spending in a recession (something even Milton Friedman agrees with). That said, it's time to end this and extended UI.
Rocky Rider
AG
12thMan9 said:

Rocky Rider said:

You and I are as the Gov't taxes us and then provides housing supplements to the renters.

This could all be about turning the aircraft carrier; a little at a time. Drive mom and pops out of the business today, then return things to normal but with a new group of corporate landlords.
Ghost Mech
I'm at the property level. Actually walking into units. Writing the reports for the underwriters.

Quote:

Absent Uncle Sam, it could have been a lot worse, which is kind of the point of stimulus spending in a recession (something even Milton Friedman agrees with). That said, it's time to end this and extended UI.
Looks like investment risk no longer applies. Granted it was an once in a lifetime event but that's really the great debate.....should we even offered stimulus?

This whole system is going to come crashing down like a forest that hasn't had a clearing fire in 100s of years. Can't keep piling on debt and bailing every institution out with taxpayer funds.
Malibu
MuchosPollos said:

I'm at the property level. Actually walking into units. Writing the reports for the underwriters.
Ah, gotcha. Has it not been the case for your properties that Uncle Sam hasn't been a big reason you're whole? I'm in class C neighborhoods and Uncle Sam has been great. Now last March we were trying to figure out how to survive on 50% collections and before we got a dime collections never dipped below 93%, below where we were before Covid, but not apocalypse levels either. Many of our colleagues were in far worse shape though.
FatZilla
AG
No idea how this wouldn't be considered an illegal taking by the government.
12thMan9
AG
MuchosPollos said:

I'm sure it has something to do with it. I was just sharing what I hear from the property managers.

The truth is, the "eviction crisis" is largely overblown. Yes, there are issues but not nearly as bad its being portrayed...go figure. Banks are going to cash in and so are states via direct rental assistance payments from the Fed govt.

I agree. I'm in 3 MF LLC's where the occupancy went up for the CEO of the group & the properties under his control, about 2K doors. He gave everyone 1 get out of jail free card, only had to evict 1.

So the people who are usually complaining are likely in low end class C & class D apts. Mostly democrat voters.
Ronnie '88
Ghost Mech

Quote:

Pelosi calls extending evictions moratorium a 'moral imperative' as House considers continuing ban

Today at 2:22 p.m. EDT

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) urged her colleagues to extend a federal evictions moratorium set to expire Saturday, calling it a "moral imperative," as Congress considered late-hour legislation to continue the ban.

"Sometimes even the law enforcement people who go into these apartments are crying because they know they're going to do something that's going to put babies' cribs out on the street, personal belongings out on the street," Pelosi said at a news conference Friday morning.

Her comments came as the House Rules Committee considered a measure that would extend the ban, enacted in response to the pandemic, through Dec. 31. But, facing resistance from moderate Democrats to the measure authored by Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.), Pelosi later Friday in a letter to House colleagues called for an extension through Oct. 18.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/pelosi-eviction-moratorium-extension/2021/07/30/e0aacbf4-f120-11eb-81d2-ffae0f931b8f_story.html

It will pass Saturday.....book it.
Sully Dog
If I was going to try and slowly destroy a country over the course of a few years this is exactly how I would do it.
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.