Chipotle raising prices to offset its own $15 minimum wage hike

4,846 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by No Spin Ag
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
torrid said:

How did it take this long for this?
flakrat
AG
Welcome to Moe's
We fixed the keg
AG
Quote:

...The GOP has often argued that raising the minimum wage would result in businesses raising prices to offset the cost...
LIES, FEAR MONGERING, LIVING WAGE, HARUMPH!
Quote:

The fast-casual Mexican food chain announced it would be raising menu prices by as much as 4% to offset the cost of the employee pay raises...

geoag58
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

Here's the great thing.

No one needs to be upset by this. Either the market will punish Chipotle for bad business, or it will reward Chipotle with good employees.

Government mandating this would be bad. A company decision to try it is not bad or even good. It will just be successful or will fail, and the market will decide.

Do you realize government providing stimulus checks to people and extending unemployment benefits is akin to a government mandate? This is not a free market decision this is the result of government interference in the labor market.

Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
planoaggie123
AG
4% increase in prices....for now....

They will be doing quiet semi-annual or even quarterly price increases for the next year or two in order to make up for the increased wages and inflation / cost of products.

This is not the end. Just the beginning. If you like chipotle be happy its only 4% at the moment....

edit: i am going to grab a burrito today at lunch.
Tom Doniphon
Raising prices? All they had to do was sell another tea every hour....
Onceaggie2.0
Diarrhea is expensive these days
planoaggie123
AG
I wish it would give me diarrhea.....i go full out w/ the burrito + extra white rice and gain about 3lbs....the diarrhea would help with that issue....
PacoPicoPiedra
AG
Hmm, that's a surprise, wage-push inflation on a micro scale. Who'd a thunk it?
Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception.
Sully Dog
Win At Life said:

Had had the most delightful service at a Starbucks drive through window yesterday. Sounds like she was pleased as punch to be making $15/hr to serve me an $8 iced drink. I guess you really do get what you pay for.
I made my own black rifle coffee yesterday and put the other $7.65 into Starbucks stock so I can collect a dividend on stupid people
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
aggie93
AG
BuddysBud said:

What do these companies do when inflation reduces the value of $15/hr to no longer be a "living wage"? They need to make $20, $30, $50 the minimum wage for employees. Inflation from stupidity is the worse.

The other option is that companies will pay $10/hr equivalent to have machines do the work. The customers do more themselves and one person, if any, gets paid more to make sure the machines are running.

Paying more and not expecting more productivity does not make actual wages increase. It just creates inflation.

Maybe it's all just part of the Great Reset.

This is the correct answer. Make $15/hr into what $10/hr was through inflation. Of course the part they will leave out to the poor and lower middle class is that in the end they are the ones who will take it in the shorts as inflation takes hold more than anyone. The only way to survive an inflationary cycle is to own property or things of value or to have special skills that few people can perform or ideally both.

The thing that disgusts me the most about Democrats is they are creating a true class system while they claim to do the opposite. They want to make it harder and harder for people to rise up from nothing.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
planoaggie123
AG
aggie93 said:

BuddysBud said:

What do these companies do when inflation reduces the value of $15/hr to no longer be a "living wage"? They need to make $20, $30, $50 the minimum wage for employees. Inflation from stupidity is the worse.

The other option is that companies will pay $10/hr equivalent to have machines do the work. The customers do more themselves and one person, if any, gets paid more to make sure the machines are running.

Paying more and not expecting more productivity does not make actual wages increase. It just creates inflation.

This is the correct answer. Make $15/hr into what $10/hr was through inflation. Of course the part they will leave out to the poor and lower middle class is that in the end they are the ones who will take it in the shorts as inflation takes hold more than anyone. The only way to survive an inflationary cycle is to own property or things of value or to have special skills that few people can perform or ideally both.

The thing that disgusts me the most about Democrats is they are creating a true class system while they claim to do the opposite. They want to make it harder and harder for people to rise up from nothing.
Daddy government will help those who can no longer find work and give them whatever they need to live a prosperous life...
hawk1689
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

Here's the great thing.

No one needs to be upset by this. Either the market will punish Chipotle for bad business, or it will reward Chipotle with good employees.

Government mandating this would be bad. A company decision to try it is not bad or even good. It will just be successful or will fail, and the market will decide.

Ummm. It's bad if you liked eating Chipotle at the current market cost.
SouthTex99
AG
aggie93
AG
planoaggie123 said:

aggie93 said:

BuddysBud said:

Daddy government will help those who can no longer find work and give them whatever they need to live a prosperous life...
Daddy government will help those who can no longer find work and give them whatever they need to subsist and feel greatful to Daddy government for letting them live. While at the same time Daddy government will fill them with propaganda and make them into good little robots.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
geoag58 said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

Here's the great thing.

Do you realize government providing stimulus checks to people and extending unemployment benefits is akin to a government mandate? This is not a free market decision this is the result of government interference in the labor market.

I agree with you. But why be mad at Chipotle?
riverrataggie
AG
Nothing says fast Mexican food like a 15 dollar burrito.
planoaggie123
AG
riverrataggie said:

Pretty soon going to be asking my kids.....you want Chipotle or Pappasitos....
riverrataggie
AG
planoaggie123 said:

riverrataggie said:

In before guacamole is a sign of oppression and racism.
HoustonAg2106
AG
mosdefn14 said:

DFW area.

Jimmy Johns is paying more than $15 to wrap a sandwich.

Chick Fil A is offering $18.50 starting pay.

A Registered Nurse is going to make somewhere around $20-$22/hr first year out of school. So just $1.50/hr or roughly $3000/year more than a fry cook.
Are companies doing this for social justice reasons? (I doubt Chick Fil A is)...or is it because there is a labor shortage because of the extended unemployment benefits when companies are ready to be back to 100% operations.

Freebirds >>>>> Chipotle by the way.
Marcus Brutus
planoaggie123 said:

riverrataggie said:

Or...

Chipotle or Ruth's Chris Steakhouse
geoag58
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

geoag58 said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

Here's the great thing.

I am not mad at Chipotle. I just wanted it to be clear Chipotle is not raising their prices in a free market vacuum. They are raising prices as a direct result of labor market interference by the government. Chipotle is a large player and is now another brick in the fifteen dollar per hour wall. ALL small businesses, down to the smallest mom and pop will eventually have to comply or have no workers. The economy, sans government interference will reach a new equilibrium where EVERYTHING costs more and nothing is changed, except now our exports are even less attractive to the rest of the world. But hey, don't worry I think our economy crashes, as the democrats( marxists) have wanted, long before the new equilibrium is reached.
Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
oh no
AG
hyperinflation is coming. hyperinflation can be a fast track to poverty. look at venezuela. 81 million people allegedly voted for this.
PneumAg
Muy said:

This is going to happen everywhere. Thanks to the left, companies are going to continue to have to offer people way more than the job demands in order to get workers off their couches. The companies aren't going to cover that cost, it's going to trickle down to their customers.

The companies will cover some of it. But when things get more expensive across the board, people buy less across the board because supply hasn't changed but price has gone up. So these companies will pay their employees more, and they will also see a drop in sales. Then they will start cutting costs. Labor is the biggest cost, so jobs will be the first thing to go, and specifically people who are not worth what they're being paid. The market will always equalize in one way or another. The only thing a minimum wage does is prevent people who are not worth that minimum wage from finding employment. People who are the least valuable in the labor market are unskilled workers (which are largely minority) and young people with no experience. In the long term, high minimum wage just kills jobs and forces people to seek government handouts. The left knows this, and that's why they push so hard for it.
G Martin 87
AG
geoag58 said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

geoag58 said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

Here's the great thing.

I am not mad at Chipotle. I just wanted it to be clear Chipotle is not raising their prices in a free market vacuum. They are raising prices as a direct result of labor market interference by the government. Chipotle is a large player and is now another brick in the fifteen dollar per hour wall. ALL small businesses, down to the smallest mom and pop will eventually have to comply or have no workers. The economy, sans government interference will reach a new equilibrium where EVERYTHING costs more and nothing is changed, except now our exports are even less attractive to the rest of the world. But hey, don't worry I think our economy crashes, as the democrats( marxists) have wanted, long before the new equilibrium is reached.
Bingo. Businesses that employ unskilled workers will find it increasingly more difficult to compete with the government for employees. The government can just keep jacking up "relief" payments to suppress the labor supply. Moreover, we're probably just a couple of years away from small businesses not being able to afford to offer health benefits for a competitive price with the exchange. They'll be faced with the decision to stop offsetting premiums completely in order to afford paying a "living wage" more than what the government pays. Anybody that can't see we're headed for economic ruin is a fool.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
mosdefn14 said:

Met a lady the other day. Young single mom fresh out of high school, trying to better her life the right way. Working as a tech overnight shift in the hospital ($14/hr) while doing nursing school during the day. Hospital reimburses her tuition for good grades, so she should finish up debt free.

She was lamenting that long term she knows nursing will be a good career path, but it would be so much easier and make ends meet to quit and work at chick fil a.

Smart money bet is no one wants to be a nurse, firefighter, or police officer here soon. Good job CMs.

If she lives in spring/tomball area, tell her to apply at:

https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=5a7b5362-7ff4-459f-a7a7-16931b57ffdf&ccId=19000101_000001&lang=en_US

Telecommunications would probably be a good fit if she is going to school. Starting pay is $22 an hour. Training starts in July and will be full time by September.

Disclosure: nothing to do with the hiring side, just a field employee.
bmc13
AG
Quote:

Of course, there illiteracy in economics didn't allow them to foresee the rise in prices everywhere else which offsets these wage increases and simply sets a new baseline.

I think the ones coming up with these policies had it as part of the plan. rising prices and stagnated other wages will decrease size of the middle class just like they want.
MAROON
AG
Greinke is not a fan
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
No Spin Ag
At least they are saying that the 4% increase is because of the wage increase, unlike every other time they increased pieces without letting anyone know when it was going to happen, or why.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.