Speaker Phelan Kills Pro-Life Bill

4,446 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Faustus
SociallyConditionedAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What was wrong with the amendment?
Schrute Farms
SociallyConditionedAg said:

Both Moody & Phelan lay it out in the embedded video.

The bill passed committee as a gap reducer between state law and federal law. It's set to ensure state law is ready to go if/when Roe v. Wade changes.

Slaton offered an amendment that changed the intent of the law. That's why Moody cited the exact section it was violating and how his point of order was sustained.

Slaton knew the amendment wasn't germane and knew it wouldn't work. However, he got the sound bite and Scorecard got the clicks.
titan
S
LOYAL AG said:

Why are the spending time on bills that will be immediately blocked by a federal court? I'd rather they take up and pass something stopping CRT.

Roe v Wade needs to be repealed so that the 57 states can make up their own minds on the issue of abortion. But until it is bills like this amount to grandstanding.
Agree with the sentiment of this. Don't tie up floor time with things that depend on the court at present. Continue to work to grow the numbers opposed to simply overturn.

Concentrate on knocking out the Marxist racialiazing everything.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Schrute Farms

The state lege gets nasty during this point in the session. Amendments have to be rock solid or you risk losing an entire bill. Search the Freedom Caucus and their "Mother's Day Massacre" from the 84th.

The Point of Order is how you kill a good bill that you know will pass. If you want to seriously add an amendment, you work with the author or your party to ensure it's squared away. If it's not, it's addition can put that bill in jeopardy due to technicality issues (like Slaton's amendment with Moody's PoO).

Reps who just throw out amendments from the Floor during this time are looking for sound bites. The intent isn't legislation. It's to fool people that may not be following the weird operations of our legislature.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Schrute Farms said:

The bill passed committee as a gap reducer between state law and federal law. It's set to ensure state law is ready to go if/when Roe v. Wade changes.

Slaton offered an amendment that changed the intent of the law. That's why Moody cited the exact section it was violating and how his point of order was sustained.

Slaton knew the amendment wasn't germane and knew it wouldn't work. However, he got the sound bite and Scorecard got the clicks.

If this is true, it was a win for all parties. Rep. Slaton got his sound bite, Texas Scorecard got their clicks, and Dade can claim he passed a pro-life bill even though it's not worth the paper it's written on. Either way, he did nothing to stop abortions in Texas.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
aggie93
AG

aggie93 said:

aggie93 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

LOYAL AG said:

Why are the spending time on bills that will be immediately blocked by a federal court? I'd rather they take up and pass something stopping CRT.

Roe v Wade needs to be repealed so that the 57 states can make up their own minds on the issue of abortion. But until it is bills like this amount to grandstanding.

You don't get to court to have it overturned until you pass a bill that challenges it and creates the case.
There are many other states that have already got laws that will trigger more Roe challenges. If Texas wants to join in a lawsuit that's fine, in the meantime this sounds like a smart move. It essentially is saying if Roe is overturned abortion will be illegal in Texas. Great, move on to the next item because anything else is just virtue signaling. It won't stop a single abortion. It won't carry the force of law. All it will do is distract from the other issues that a State that will likely be over 30 million soon has to deal with.

We only have our Leg meet for a brief time and we have other issues that need attention. The abortion fight isn't going to be won or lost based on passing another abortion bill that is a lock to be struck down. If ending abortion is truly your goal this bill is counterproductive.

Completely disagree. Passing a Bill that only goes into effect if the Supreme Court overturns a 50 year precedent is purely for show. Pass a real bill and let the Feds try to kill more Texas babies.
Actually it isn't for show at all. Other states have passed those bills and those cases will go to the SC eventually. Texas can simply join those suits. If any of the suits win then it automatically becomes law. In the meantime you get the bill passed and on the books instead of spending massive amounts of time debating the issue when you only have a few days of the Session left. Whether they passed this bill or a bill that banned all abortions the same thing happens. This bill might even be used as a different way to approach the Court.

I don't doubt your sincerity but in the end you want a bigger virtue signal and not something that will make any legal difference.

I don't get it. Passing a bill that only goes into effect if something with an infinitesimal chance of happening occurs is doing something, but passing a bill that actually bans abortion is virtue signaling? I guess we do have a different definition of the term.
Neither bill matters unless Roe is overturned or adjusted and both accomplish the same thing. Thus the easier to pass bill that takes up less time is the better bill. A more extreme bill that is thrown out in 5 minutes is foolish. Honestly the better focus is on bills that will stand up to SC scrutiny and reduce abortions now but both of these bills do nothing about that in reality.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Schrute Farms

Schrute Farms said:

If this is true, it was a win for all parties. Rep. Slaton got his sound bite, Texas Scorecard got their clicks, and Dade can claim he passed a pro-life bill even though it's not worth the paper it's written on. Either way, he did nothing to stop abortions in Texas.

He literally just pushed SB8 through the House. Phelan has the biggest pro life notch on any Speaker's belt.

ETA: SB8 makes abortion near impossible in Texas. Phelan got it done.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

He literally just pushed SB8 through the House. Phelan has the biggest pro life notch on any Speaker's belt.

Doubt it. I hope someone primaries him next year. Between this and not doing anything to even criticize the governor's action last year, much less impeachment proceedings, I want someone new. He doesn't represent SETX well at all.
Schrute Farms

Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

Doubt it. I hope someone primaries him next year. Between this and not doing anything to even criticize the governor's action last year, much less impeachment proceedings, I want someone new. He doesn't represent SETX well at all.

Phelan passes the most pro life legislation in txlege history and you're mad because Slaton got called out for a bad amendment on an irrelevant bill?
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

Phelan passes the most pro life legislation in txlege history and you're mad because Slaton got called out for a bad amendment on an irrelevant bill?

Killing the Amendment is what made the bill irrelevant. Because of Dade's actions, abortions are free to continue in Texas. There's no getting around that.
Schrute Farms

Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

Killing the Amendment is what made the bill irrelevant. Because of Dade's actions, abortions are free to continue in Texas. There's no getting around that.

I think there's a misunderstanding. This was not the abortion bill that mattered. Nothing about Slaton's amendment mattered.

SB8 - which passed - makes it illegal to get an abortion once a heartbeat starts. That passed. That changes the entire pro life landscape. Phelan took major hits to get it through.

The Scorecard article is barely consequential.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

I think there's a misunderstanding. This was not the abortion bill that mattered. Nothing about Slaton's amendment mattered.

SB8 - which passed - makes it illegal to get an abortion once a heartbeat starts. That passed. That changes the entire pro life landscape. Phelan took major hits to get it through.

No, I wasn't talking about the heartbeat bill. I'm glad that passed but I was referring to the bill that would have ended abortion in September. THAT would make a real difference.
Schrute Farms

Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

No, I wasn't talking about the heartbeat bill. I'm glad that passed but I was referring to the bill that would have ended abortion in September. THAT would make a real difference.

But.it wouldn't have. That's the entire basis for a point of order. Slaton's amendment - even if enacted - would've caused the bill to never even become law. It would be challenged and gutted.

It's a fantasy amendment. You're accusing Phelan of killing something that never existed. Phelan didn't even kill the fantasy - Moody's PoO killed it. Abortion was never going to be ended by that amendment.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

But.it wouldn't have. That's the entire basis for a point of order. Slaton's amendment - even if enacted - would've caused the bill to never even become law. It would be challenged and gutted.

It's a fantasy amendment. You're accusing Phelan of killing something that never existed. Phelan didn't even kill the fantasy - Moody's PoO killed it. Abortion was never going to be ended by that amendment.

Then why even take up the bill? It's a complete fantasy to think the SC is going to overturn Roe v Wade. This is just political pandering.
Faustus
Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

Schrute Farms said:

So much gutting and killing. I may support a woman's right to choose, but the language of politics sounds barbaric.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.