Yall worried about this Chinese rocket debris?

6,318 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CSTXAg92
Tyrone_The_Tuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty big range including some population centers in the US
C@LAg
most of our population centers are dem controlled, so... no?

but the potential impact zone is HUGE, and the us is just a very small part of it.
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
Would be poetic justice to watch the debris hit bejing.

Most likely our engineers have had an estimated area where the bulk of the mass will strike, and given how much of the planet is covered in water im assuming it'll end up in the ocean. Also Epstein didn't kill himself.
My Name Is Judge
I'm worried more Asian people are going to be targeted by liberal thugs in democrat strongholds
TAMUallen
AG
But no US plans for action. Thanks Biden

We have a China created virus to cripple our world without action against the creator. Where does it end?
azul_rain
This is racist
C@LAg
the US has declined to shoot this down, per the BBC.
C@LAg
hedge said:

This is racist
lacist?
azul_rain
Wacist
Marcus Brutus
Chinese rocket debris?

That's racist.
C@LAg
it is a UK variant rocket, not a Chinese rocket.
ironmanag
AG
Stop the hate.

Why can't it just be rocket debris.

Just keep an eye out for the British and German debris variants those would be really dangerous.
BQ78
AG
That's a nice space station they are building, it would be a shame if something happened to it.

Space Force!

Clob94
Drawing a big bullseye around Hilldawgs compound.
javajaws
AG
Nothing to worry about, I hear it's just a Corona booster.
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
I wonder what the probability of being struck by part of the debris is in comparison to the probability of death or debilitating due to COVID for those under 40.
agdoc2001
AG
Dos Tasadores De TAMU said:

I wonder what the probability of being struck by part of the debris is in comparison to the probability of death or debilitating due to COVID for those under 40.
Certainly the probability increase exponentially with obesity in both cases.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
oldcrow91
AG
Based on my viewing of myth busters, terminal velocity will make most of the debris fairly harmless.

Hopefully re-entry takes care of most of the engines.
Sully Dog
I'm calling Italy. Because, they haven't been screwed enough by China
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
FatZilla
AG
Commiefornia is in its path, let it land in LA or SF. Might actually clean the place a little.
C@LAg
FatZilla said:

Commiefornia is in its path,
so is texas.
chimpanzee
I am imagining some 35 year old suburban stay at home mom with a masters degree in public health stepping out on her Mc Mansion's front lawn and into the sun for only the third time since March of 2020 cautiously testing the air through double masks only to get nailed by a piece of a Chinese rocket.

Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
FatZilla said:

Commiefornia is in its path, let it land in LA or SF. Might actually clean the place a little.
Hopefully Nancy's McMansion and Ice Cream Storage Locker.
uujm
uujm
YouBet
AG
Link for those of us having no idea what this thread was about:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chinese-rocket-debris-expected-to-tumble-into-earths-atmosphere-this-weekend-11620401791?mod=hp_lead_pos10
TxTarpon
Nope T

Survived Skylab, Halley's Comet, and that space junk from 1999.
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
Drshovelhead

Just doing some quick math based on the speed of terminal velocity, atmospheric pressure and the current jet steam flow, factoring in that approx 71% of the earth is ocean, i would say about.1 in 196.0 million to 1. .000000005 % chance it will hit within 1/2 mile of your location.

thanks to Space-Track.org for the info
rausr
AG
TxTarpon said:

Nope T

Survived Skylab, Halley's Comet, and that space junk from 1999.

Thanks TxTarpon - some of us are old enough to have lived through all of those calamities.

Just to chronicle for some of you who were not around then, here is former Chicago shock-jock Steve Dahl and his musical interpretation of the Skylab events in 1979 (with help from the Rolling Stones):

TxTarpon

Quote:

Thanks TxTarpon - some of us are old enough to have lived through all of those calamities.

Gray hair, don't care.

Quote:

Just to chronicle for some of you who were not around then, here is former Chicago shock-jock Steve Dahl
and his musical interpretation of the Skylab events in 1979 (with help from the Rolling Stones):

Great video post!
Skylab, the AMC pacer of the spaceworld.
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
Tramp96
Drshovelhead said:

Just doing some quick math based on the speed of terminal velocity, atmospheric pressure and the current jet steam flow, factoring in that approx 71% of the earth is ocean, i would say about.1 in 196.0 million to 1. .000000005 % chance it will hit within 1/2 mile of your location.

You underestimate my level of bad luck.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
My workplace would survive a bomb (well, maybe not the top floor) so if it happens during business hours I am good.
Decay
AG
oldcrow91 said:

Based on my viewing of myth busters, terminal velocity will make most of the debris fairly harmless.

Hopefully re-entry takes care of most of the engines.
Unfortunately this isn't "bullets fired into the sky".

Giant pieces of metal will absolutely wreck sh-- if they hit a building or highway or something.

Zero chance you live if you happen to be under it. (edit: if you, a person, were like, standing there. Not sure about like a house, probably would be like a tornado hitting)

As it stands the odds are so low that no individual should spend any time worrying about it. No way you'd be able to meaningfully avoid it even if you followed some kind of space tracker that had a radar lock on it.

Now for a government, it's a big deal. Space junk, intentional or otherwise, falling on other countries needs to be addressed. Same for when our stuff falls somewhere.
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Certainly the probability increase exponentially with obesity in both cases.

Thank God some people on TA still have a sense of humor.

Edit: I meant to say debilitation. Not debilitating
titan
S

That's EOT quality wit there.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.