Norfolk PD officer fired after anonymous donation to Kyle Rittenhouse

7,430 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JW
captkirk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) A high-ranking Norfolk Police officer who was found donating to the defense fund of Kyle Rittenhouse has been fired from the police department.

Kyle Rittenhouse is the man charged with the murder of two Black Lives Matter protesters in Kenosha, Wisconsin, last August.

According to the Guardian newspaper on Friday, Sgt. William Kelly, who served as the executive officer of NPD's internal affairs division, made an anonymous $25 donation to Rittenhouse's defense in September. However Kelly used an official email address linked to himself, the Guardian reported.

The revelation came after a data breach of a Christian crowdfunding GiveSendGo, which showed official email addresses belonging to many police officers and public officials. The information was shared with the Guardian by the transparency group Distributed Denial of Secrets.

The alleged donation from Kelly was made on September 3 and included the comment, "God bless. Thank you for your courage. Keep your head up. You've done nothing wrong" and "Every rank and file police officer supports you. Don't be discouraged by actions of the political class of law enforcement leadership."

Norfolk Police Chief Larry Boone said Kelly was initially reassigned to another division pending the results of an administrative investigation. He did not identify Kelly in the statement.

According to Kelly's LinkedIn page, he had been with the Norfolk Police Department for 18 years. He has been the executive officer of internal affairs for the last two months.

In a release sent Tuesday, Norfolk City Manager Chip Filer said he has accepted the recommendation of Chief Boone to relieve Kelly of his duty.

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/norfolk/norfolk-pd-officer-fired-after-anonymous-donation-to-kyle-rittenhouse-defense-fund/

Waffledynamics
AG
These people are evil and do not believe in due process. **** them. Defendants get their day in court. You can't take that away forever.
Kashchei
AG
Honestly he's probably doing Kelly a favor in the long run. If I were a LEO I'd be getting the **** out asap
captkirk
AG
4stringAg
AG
Just a wild ass guess but I'm thinking he wouldn't have been fired if it were discovered he used official email to make a donation to BLM, the Dem party, or George Floyd go fund me.
Ag87H2O
AG
What a crock. Hope Kelly sues them for wrongful termination and takes their insurance carrier to the cleaners and the premium for the city goes through the roof.

Then I hope he sends them a screen shot of himself lounging at some tropical beach every January living off the proceeds while they're freezing their butts off at work getting shot at by all the thugs.

RulesForTheeNotForMe
AG
Sitting VP promoted and donated to a fund that bailed out rioters and looters who returned to riot and loot almost immediately on the campaign trail. Her penalty, run Biden's puppet strings.

Kyle Rittenhouse is fleeing an angry mob and gets attacked by a pedophile and another waste of oxygen, chooses his life over theirs and is charged with murder. Guy wants to help a kid out and give him a shot at due process by giving $25.... penalty, life ruined and most likely never safe in US again.

Jesus, hurry up and come, there is no saving those who choose not to believe.
titan
S
Kashchei said:

Honestly he's probably doing Kelly a favor in the long run. If I were a LEO I'd be getting the **** out asap
Yes, most Democratic hubs are becoming anti-police and pro-feral Marxist anarchy havens.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
johnnyblaze36
AG
This is equally as bad if not worse than the Mozilla Firefox CEO getting fired for donating to the California proposition supporting traditional marriage. This country does indeed suck now.
TxAgPreacher
S
When will Americans decide enough is enough? Rise up, or be controlled and suffer. As for my and for my house... we will stock up on beans, bullets, and bible knowledge. We are preparing. Are you?
titan
S

Yes. Meet the woke craze the way Poland's Solidarity did the tyranny of the Warsaw Pact government types over them. In numbers enough to have weight. This firing was not only unjust, but also violated the whole point of it being an anonymous donation. But it shouldn't have to be anonymous.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Teslag
AG
A government agency terminating people based on political/social donations seems like a 1st amendment violation to me.
InfantryAg
AG
Salute The Marines said:

A government agency terminating people based on political/social donations seems like a 1st amendment violation to me.
Using the govt email for personal business is probably a policy violation.

As much as I don't like unions, especially for public servants, this is one of the few (only?) justification for them. Even if it was a policy violation, firing is a pretty big punishment and probably (almost certainly) more than others have received for a similar violation. Hopefully he'll rehired, get his backpay, hit 20 years and retire.
PCC_80
AG
This Doxxing people for making political statements or contributions needs to be ended. Firing people for their opinions and/or beliefs is absolutely a terrible practice and goes against everything that this country was established on. Truly Disgusting.
Ags4DaWin
SUE.

Ellis Wyatt
The morons will screech "Start your own government!"
IslanderAg04

IslanderAg04
Virginia ia is a liberal ****hole. Their governor was actually trying to pass after birth abortions.
Mr. Lahey
AG
Who the **** is "distributed denial of secrets"? Sounds like some dystopian ****
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Ag87H2O said:

What a crock. Hope Kelly sues them for wrongful termination and takes their insurance carrier to the cleaners and the premium for the city goes through the roof.

Then I hope he sends them a screen shot of himself lounging at some tropical beach every January living off the proceeds while they're freezing their butts off at work getting shot at by all the thugs.

Yup. He needs to sue. That's a good way to fight back against woke bullies.
Central Committee
AG
I agree with all of the criticism of the doxxing. Evil, no doubt, as is firing people for their personal beliefs and activities unassociated with work.

HOWEVER, let this be a learning point to everyone - when setting up an account with an organization or contributing to a GoFundMe or something of the sort, use you PERSONAL email, preferably with an email address that does not include your name or initials.

Using his work email was not smart...
We may not always get what we want. We may not always get what we need. Just so we don't get what we deserve.
BMX Bandit
using his work email was not smart, but no mention of that being why he was fired.

Quote:

NORFOLK, VA City Manager Chip Filer has accepted the recommendation of Norfolk Police Chief Larry D. Boone and Lieutenant William Kelly has been relieved of duty.
"I have reviewed the results of the internal investigation involving Lt. William Kelly. Chief Larry Boone and I have concluded Lt. Kelly's actions are in violation of City and departmental policies. His egregious comments erode the trust between the Norfolk Police Department and those they are sworn to serve. The City of Norfolk has a standard of behavior for all employees, and we will hold staff accountable," said Chip Filer, Ph.D. City Manager.
On April 16, 2021, Lt. Kelly was initially placed on administrative duty after reports were made that he donated and expressed support for the actions of Kyle Rittenhouse, who is charged with multiple felonies, including homicide.
"I want the residents of Norfolk to know that their police department will represent and uphold our organizational values of Service, Honor, Integrity, Equality, Leadership, and Diversity. A police department cannot do its job when the public loses trust with those whose duty is to serve and protect them. We do not want perceptions of any individual officer to undermine the relations between the Norfolk Police Department and the community. I ask the community to continue to support the officers of the Norfolk Police Department as in the past knowing that right now, at this moment, they are continuing to serve and protect them." said Chief Larry D. Boone.
Lt. Kelly is afforded the right to appeal the decision in accordance with the City of Norfolk grievance procedure and applicable law.

he was fired because he supported Rittenhouse.

looks like first amendment violation to me.

https://www.norfolk.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=5444
aezmvp
PaulC_80 said:

This Doxxing people for making political statements or contributions needs to be ended. Firing people for their opinions and/or beliefs is absolutely a terrible practice and goes against everything that this country was established on. Truly Disgusting.
We're way past that. It's time to start making your own lists. You know why mutually assured destruction worked as a policy? Because both sides had the threat of catastrophic loss. Right now there is no loss for the left.
TxTarpon
He should have used a prepaid gift card and listed his name as "Ron Mexico".

So strange.
Meanwhile in Texas....
Attorney: Texas police chief reinstated with $4k raise after photo allegedly shows him smoking bong
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
RebelE Infantry
AG

Sully Dog
Quote:

Kyle Rittenhouse is the man charged with the murder of two Black Lives Matter protesters in Kenosha, Wisconsin
Seems like defamation to me. I hope they get sued.
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
Tone2002
Just remember to put money on his books. That is when it really counts.
BMX Bandit
Sully Dog said:

Quote:

Kyle Rittenhouse is the man charged with the murder of two Black Lives Matter protesters in Kenosha, Wisconsin
Seems like defamation to me. I hope they get sued.
how is that defamatory?
YouBet
AG
4stringAg said:

Just a wild ass guess but I'm thinking he wouldn't have been fired if it were discovered he used official email to make a donation to BLM, the Dem party, or George Floyd go fund me.
Much of Fortune 500 donated company funds to BLM.

Of course he wouldn't have been.
gbaby23
AG
Norfolk just got a bit more dangerous. A good cop fired.

We should make our own towns. Good police would be asking for jobs left and right.
dude95
AG
4stringAg said:

Just curious, do you think he would have been fired for contributions to a fund for someone charged in a riot? Putting in similar words of encouragement?

BTW - I would consider myself liberal, but think this oversteps bounds. Shouldn't use a government email for something like this, but being talked to should do the trick (same kind of punishment for encouraging someone who rioted)
Trucker 96
BMX Bandit said:

using his work email was not smart, but no mention of that being why he was fired.

Quote:

NORFOLK, VA City Manager Chip Filer has accepted the recommendation of Norfolk Police Chief Larry D. Boone and Lieutenant William Kelly has been relieved of duty.
"I have reviewed the results of the internal investigation involving Lt. William Kelly. Chief Larry Boone and I have concluded Lt. Kelly's actions are in violation of City and departmental policies. His egregious comments erode the trust between the Norfolk Police Department and those they are sworn to serve. The City of Norfolk has a standard of behavior for all employees, and we will hold staff accountable," said Chip Filer, Ph.D. City Manager.
On April 16, 2021, Lt. Kelly was initially placed on administrative duty after reports were made that he donated and expressed support for the actions of Kyle Rittenhouse, who is charged with multiple felonies, including homicide.
"I want the residents of Norfolk to know that their police department will represent and uphold our organizational values of Service, Honor, Integrity, Equality, Leadership, and Diversity. A police department cannot do its job when the public loses trust with those whose duty is to serve and protect them. We do not want perceptions of any individual officer to undermine the relations between the Norfolk Police Department and the community. I ask the community to continue to support the officers of the Norfolk Police Department as in the past knowing that right now, at this moment, they are continuing to serve and protect them." said Chief Larry D. Boone.
Lt. Kelly is afforded the right to appeal the decision in accordance with the City of Norfolk grievance procedure and applicable law.

Yep. He was fired for his comments. In the chief's own words. Chief done messed up
Ags4DaWin
They are doing this in an effort to drive all conservatives out of public service.

Then when only leftists occupy those spaces it becomes easier for the beaurocracy and enforcement to ignore laws and enact whatever policies best serve the party and Marxist leftism and then enforce them.

Theu took over the beaurocracy decades ago and now By taking over the administration of the military and the DA'S and the local PD's they will own the enforcement arms as well.

Good luck everyone.
kag00
AG
Fore Left! said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Yep. He was fired for his comments. In the chief's own words. Chief done messed up

What comments? The story doesn't even say what he said. If it was what was posted earlier, then it was supposed to be anonymous. Also the 1st amendment is still a thing and needs to be protected.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

God bless. Thank you for your courage. Keep your head up. You've done nothing wrong. Every rank and file police officer supports you. Don't be discouraged by actions of the political class of law enforcement leadership.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.