Has anyone else flown with kids lately?

4,063 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by murphyag
exp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We haven't seen my wife's parents in 1.5 years and are scheduled to fly 10 hours to see them in July. We have a 3 year old. I am honestly intensely scared of this lifetime banning thing that's happening for people that can't keep masks on their kids. We're flying United.

It's F'ed up that I have to deal with a legitimate fear of banishment over a 3 year old wearing a mask for 10 hours straight. I'm not here to complain. I'm asking for genuine insight...how big a risk is this?
I Like Mike
AG
Yes
FTAggies
Lifetime ban wtf?!! I fly with a just 2 yr old in 3 months
Gig'em
Mule_lx
AG
Just curious. Where is 10 hours?
Agthatbuilds
I havent, but as I posted im the united thread, i just had some friends banned from swa because their 2 year old wouldnt keep his mask on throughout the flight. It really just came down to the flight attendant being a real *****.

Even more odd- it was a family of 4 with 1 parent and 2 kids in one row while the other parent sat across the aisle, but in the same row. the stewardess would only confront the dad. When the mom would switch with ghe dad, the stewardess wouldn't confront her. The dad is a large man, the mom not. The dad is Hispanic, the mom white. The mom, dad and 3 year old wore their mask the entire flight.

The tsa was waiting for them once they got off the plane but basocally said nothing happened here and dont worry about it but the family got letters from swa about their bans.
agdaddy04
AG
We flew SWA from DIA to MCO recently which was just under 4 hours I believe. We had a 7 year old and 3 year old. Not sure id want to do it longer than that but it wasn't horrible. They definitely weren't sticklers about the 3 year old taking her mask off every now and then.
Clown_World
You should just fly with John Kerry. Problem solved.

AgResearch
AG
If you need a recommendation for a very comfortable kid's mask:
https://www.vistaprint.com/masks/all/kids/

Get several and swap them out as they get nasty damp during the flights.

Some fun designs for the kid to pick. Not sure if my 4 year old could go 10 hours with strict compliance and he does pretty well when required.

I wish you the best of luck.
P.U.T.U
AG
I told them my kids identified as a 23 month old and they left me alone.y kids are 2 and 6 and they left me alone
Forum Troll
AG
Your wife's parents should fly to you. Making a 3 year old fly for 10 hours is a nightmare regardless of a mask requirement.
exp
AG
The consequence of a lifetime ban is just insane. Can't believe that SWA story happened. That's so F'ed up. It's like you're a terrorist.
Picard
AG
So if you get banned....you don't have to visit the in-laws ever again? I'm having trouble finding the downside here!

coolerguy12
AG
We flew to CO last month on SWA. I had my mask off for half the flight. My 2 year old never put one on. My 4 year old wore hers for a bit just because she likes it but she had it off more often than not.

It all depends on your flight attendants.
bmks270
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

I havent, but as I posted im the united thread, i just had some friends banned from swa because their 2 year old wouldnt keep his mask on throughout the flight. It really just came down to the flight attendant being a real *****.

Even more odd- it was a family of 4 with 1 parent and 2 kids in one row while the other parent sat across the aisle, but in the same row. the stewardess would only confront the dad. When the mom would switch with ghe dad, the stewardess wouldn't confront her. The dad is a large man, the mom not. The dad is Hispanic, the mom white. The mom, dad and 3 year old wore their mask the entire flight.

The tsa was waiting for them once they got off the plane but basocally said nothing happened here and dont worry about it but the family got letters from swa about their bans.

SWA is pretty reasonable in my experience. There has to be more to this.
Agthatbuilds
There's not. This family is a very good family and not crazy in any way.

I think it comes dowm to the flight attendant. They wield an oversized amount of power and they can really screw you over.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Do the masks have to be a certain type? I've only worn the 'fake' masks but I haven't flown lately.
DD88
AG
Just bring some extra tape.

AggieGunslinger
AG
We flew United from DFW to Montana over spring break. 5 total flights round trip and each flight crew handled it differently. Some flights wanted real masks, some were fine with Buffs, some didn't like the on my wife wears in medical facilities, they would remind my 6 & 9yo to pull whatever mask they had up but they never were over bearing about it with any kid on the flight.
Jason C.
AG
I don't know the OP and what your luck is like, but 99% of my interactions with flight attendants have been good, even if they start out being grizzled union-protected azzholes at first acting like you're trespassing on their airplane. Treat them nice, yes ma'am no ma'am, etc. My youngest kids are dreadful at mask wearing but they put them on their chins and I find that illusion of compliance is half the battle. We have flown a lot during covid and while I'm always worried, we've never had even the slightest issues.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
SociallyConditionedAg said:

Do the masks have to be a certain type? I've only worn the 'fake' masks but I haven't flown lately.

Again it depends. I've seen some airlines (both SW and American) tell people boarding at the gate that their mask was not compliant and they gave them a mask to wear.

Other times I've seen the same airlines let anything mask like through.
FrioAg 00
AG
I've flown quite a bit during the pandemic, with my own kids who are a little older and I've seen plenty of toddlers on the plane.

My advice is you have to figure out how to get them to wear it just between boarding and takeoff. I haven't seen anyone say anything to anyone of any age once airborn. Especially if they have a drink or snack out - which technically is within their rules.

If you've got one of the rare flight attendants that's going to make the news - she'll be stalking during the pre flight.
PhatMack19
AG
We haven't flown lately mainly because of our 2 yr old. I will say these work great. Vodka also helps if the gummies don't work.

Stasco
AG
Forum Troll said:

Your wife's parents should fly to you. Making a 3 year old fly for 10 hours is a nightmare regardless of a mask requirement.

This. I mean honestly, why are you even thinking about traveling to see them? They want to see the little shnookums, then they should take the plane ride.
peacedude
AG
No, but I've dropped a few off at the pool.
Matt_ag98
Flew from Chicago to San Antonio twice with a seven year old since Christmas on SWA, the stewards are pretty lenient with the kids TBH, you should be fine
agdaddy04
AG
A guy on one of my flights a few weeks ago had one of those masks that made it look like his mask was under his mouth. The fake beard blended perfectly with his real beard. One of the flight attendants was losing her **** over it.
Boozer92
AG
I agree with others who recommend against it at this time. Likely you will be fine but you are rolling the dice. Wrong flight attendant and you can't come home. As long as cdc recommends against nonessential travel as is still the case even for the vaccinated you have someone else to blame. The risk/reward is something only you can answer but I would pass
stetson
AG
Get your pediatrician to sign some letter stating that your child can't wear a mask due to...
ironmanag
AG
Don't fly united.
jopatura
AG
stetson said:

Get your pediatrician to sign some letter stating that your child can't wear a mask due to...

Airlines ask that you don't fly in that situation. They won't accept medical exemptions.

The best advice I can give: make your kid wear the mask in the terminal and during boarding. If your kid doesn't like the mask, sit at one of the restaurants until just before boarding. Many skirmishes are starting in the terminal while flight attendants are waiting for the plane. The hardasses are watching like a hawk and will peg a non-compliant family. This goes for parents too. Don't assume you can chin mask with young kids before you board. You'll be targeted.

As far as on the plane, boarding is the most important mask wearing time. Do not let your kids take off their masks while the flight attendant is walking around the plane. Once you get cruising, break out snacks and put the mask on their chin. Also, don't let your kid throw a fit while on the plane. Most of the mask stories start with the kid throwing a tantrum and a flight attendant is going to abuse any loophole to not have to deal with that for the flight.
Agthatbuilds
jopatura said:

stetson said:

Airlines ask that you don't fly in that situation. They won't accept medical exemptions.

The best advice I can give: make your kid wear the mask in the terminal and during boarding. If your kid doesn't like the mask, sit at one of the restaurants until just before boarding. Many skirmishes are starting in the terminal while flight attendants are waiting for the plane. The hardasses are watching like a hawk and will peg a non-compliant family. This goes for parents too. Don't assume you can chin mask with young kids before you board. You'll be targeted.

As far as on the plane, boarding is the most important mask wearing time. Do not let your kids take off their masks while the flight attendant is walking around the plane. Once you get cruising, break out snacks and put the mask on their chin. Also, don't let your kid throw a fit while on the plane. Most of the mask stories start with the kid throwing a tantrum and a flight attendant is going to abuse any loophole to not have to deal with that for the flight.

Do you have kids? I'd guess no.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Flew to Disney (Frontier) and back (United) a few weeks ago with 7 and 4 yo. Kids basically didn't wear mask the whole time. Nobody said one word. I think it depends on the flight crew.
jopatura
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

jopatura said:

stetson said:

Do you have kids? I'd guess no.

4 & 6, so yes. I know it's impossible. But if you want to slide a barely mask compliant kid by, he better be quieter then a mouse.
JobSecurity
AG
United couldn't pay ME to take my kids on a 10 hour flight while trying to keep them masked
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
It 100% varies by flight attendant. Went to visit in laws for Christmas with then 3 year olds son and daughter that had literally just turned 2. It was incredibly lucky that we got upgraded because flight attendant in coach section was a mask nazi.

Mask nazi was older AA lady that directly admonished my 3 year olds son to pull his mask up higher (was already over his nose) which took a lot of restraint for me not to tell her directly that you address me not my children. She then went to my wife one row back and threatened her regarding my daughter. Thankfully, first class flight attendant was a younger Hispanic woman that obviously didn't care. First class flight attendant smiled, said thanks, and waved when we deplaned. Mask nazi had a ragey glare in her eyes.

It's really just a crapshoot.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.