Pepe Le Pew is CUT from Space Jam 2 - "rape culture"

4,355 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Brandamne
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9336959/Pepe-Le-Pew-CUT-Space-Jam-2-following-sexual-misconduct-allegations.html

• Pepe Le Pew will not appear in the Space Jam sequel set for release in July
  • The cartoon skunk starred in the original Warner Bros. film back in 1996
  • But he has faced accusations of perpetuating rape culture with his antics

The cartoon French skunk Pepe Le Pew will not appear in the upcoming sequel to Space Jam following accusations that he 'perpetuates rape culture,' according to a new report.

Le Pew has long courted controversy with his penchant for unwanted advances and inappropriate touching -- but according to those who have seen the script, he would have gotten his comeuppance at the hands of NBA star LeBron James in the scene deleted from the sequel.

It comes on the heels of New York Times columnist Charles M. Blow's op-ed arguing that Le Pew 'normalized rape culture' -- though sources say the column itself was not the reason the scene was cut.

Blow made his critical comments in an article titled 'Six Seuss Books Bore a Bias' published in the Grey Lady in the wake of news that certain beloved Dr. Suess children's books were getting 'cancelled' for racist depictions.

In the article, Blow wrote: 'Some of the first cartoons I can remember included Pep Le Pew, who normalized rape culture; Speedy Gonzales, whose friends helped popularize the corrosive stereotype of the drunk and lethargic Mexicans; and Mammy Two Shoes, a heavyset Black maid who spoke in a heavy accent.'
C@LAg
guess we cannot have anyone one-upping Joe Biden in practicing unwanted handsy-ness.
Stupid@17
AG
Im surprised elmer fudd wasn't canceled for his obvious whiteness.
Ol Rock
AG
I cannot imagine what dating is like for you young'ens. What a crazy world we live in today.
C@LAg
Stupid@17 said:

Im surprised elmer fudd wasn't canceled for his obvious whiteness.
or gun violence
C@LAg
i will admit, PLP actions did start to annoy me after a point when I was young.

I think it was after the episode where the female skunk gets her nose blocked and turns the tables on PLP and then chases him, and how he reacted to it.

Tanya 93
Pepe Le Pew should be cut because he ****ing sucks

We always skip those episodes
C@LAg
OK. Now i am back to liking him.
Tanya 93
C@LAg said:

OK. Now i am back to liking him.
T for Texas
AG
WTF is even "rape culture"?
C@LAg
whatever they want or need it to be.
Teslag
AG
If you aren't holding a woman down or drugging and forcing her to have sex it isn't rape. We have to get past this toxic mindset that aggressive pursuit of women equals rape. It may not be acceptable but it definitely isn't rape.
Andrew99
AG
SNL needs to apologize for Christopher Walken's "The Continental" sketches.

I never thought about it, but it seems like a live action Le Pew scene.
CondensedFogAggie
Thats the skunk cartoon character that chases/stalks that female cat, hugs/kisses it, while the cat tries to frantically run away?

Yeah I laughed at it a ton as a kid. Thought it was super funny. Now? I get it's a comedy, but it's pretty cringe and messed up. Good riddance. At least for this cartoon, don't think many will disagree.

Gravy
AG
In the skunk's defense, a bucket of white paint spilled and made a stripe down the cat's back. Also, the skunk was French, so In keeping with cancel culture, maybe we shouldn't condone the Paris Accord?
mm98
AG
Artimus Pyle said:

For the far left, basically anything or anytime a man shows interest in a woman
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
He portrayed all Frenchmen as smelly misogynists.

So...accurate.
gonemaroon
AG
Cancel Culture is awesome
CondensedFogAggie
Cassius
Yet Biden is president.
Ragoo
AG
C@LAg said:

I think it was after the episode where the female skunk gets her nose blocked and turns the tables on PLP and then chases him, and how he reacted to it.

she is a black cat not a skunk
agdoc2001
AG
Imagine a world where they will cut an animated skunk from a movie for rape, but they were attempting to get Kobe Bryant.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mazag08
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Imagine a world where they will cut an animated skunk from a movie for rape, but they were attempting to get Kobe Bryant.
MouthBQ98
AG
Cuomo le pew?
C@LAg
Ragoo said:

C@LAg said:

she is a black cat not a skunk
yeah, brain-to-typing-fingers fart. but still the point stands.

he WAS a little rapey and even children with their a basic sense of fairness can pick up that it is not "right".

Same as with the roadrunner cartoons.

Those were (and still are) always hilarious with all of the ways that the traps would fail on Wile E Coyote.
But you have to admit there was a point as a kid where you realized it was not fair - that the roadrunner would stay safe, not fall, not get hit, but Coyote would.
Ragoo
AG
I mean he wasn't really rapey. He's French. French culture is a lot more hands on than American. He has fallen deeply in love with a cat. Not realizing their differences he uses relentless pursuit and some
Hi-jinks to try and win her affection. He comes across as rapey because he is trying to be charming which in present day culture is rejected because charm is presented with a sexual undertone.
Kozmozag
Pepe doesn't rape the cat, he is more like Biden or Cuomo.
Burdizzo
AG
C@LAg said:

I hated Pepe Le Pew for being obnoxious and French.
Muy
AG
Hey liberals, in the animal world it's not called "rape".
The Kraken
AG
Awesome
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Barnyard96
AG
Something stinks about all this.
Rapier108
Artimus Pyle said:

Whatever a "reasonable woman" thinks it is.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
45-70Ag
AG
The United States doesn't have a rape culture and any suggestion we do is asinine. We punish rapists.

If you want a rape culture, got to about any country in Africa or the Middle East where rape is a rite of passage for a lot of males and the government does nothing to prevent it.
Joes
There is no way the 60s James Bond films aren't banished soon. The way he often grabbed the women and pulled them to him or threw them on the ground and held them down until they gave in. I can't believe someone hasn't thrown a fit about them yet. But it's coming.
C@LAg
Joes said:

There is no way the 60s James Bond films aren't banished soon. The way he often grabbed the women and pulled them to him or threw them on the ground and held them down until they gave in. I can't believe someone hasn't thrown a fit about them yet. But it's coming.
he gets replaced by a black woman in the new film this year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.