NEW CDC REPORT: Study Finds Masks Have Negligible Impact On Coronavirus Numbers

7,407 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agracer
samurai_science
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The CDC has admitted face masks do little to prevent the spread of COVID-19
Post removed:
by user
_mpaul
AG
Thanks for the link. I can't wait to send it to all my Branch Covidian friends. Oh, wait.
Paper. An insane deer. Taco meat.
Cassius
Well, next week they will flip again. It's what they do.
Cen-Tex
AG
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/03/cdc-claims-mask-mandates-dont-statistically-different-impact-covid-no-masks-will-therefore-continue-pushing-masks/
DrEvazanPhD
Vader Was Framed said:

So their efficacy is a non-zero number?

Post source pls.

So even 0.5% is worth it to you people.
agsalaska
AG
Correct me if I am wrong but the CDC has produced many reports over several years showing or at least questioning whether or not masks work. The problem is the virus opportunists, including the CDC leader, refuse to acknowledge or publicize them.

I have seen small group studies in medical, industrial, and other small close communities, but nothing at state or even major city level policies showing that mask mandates work as public policy.
Post removed:
by user
Magic City Wings
DrEvazanPhD said:

Vader Was Framed said:

Post source pls.

Wearing masks yes, closing businesses, no. It's not that complicated.
DrEvazanPhD
Magic City Wings said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Vader Was Framed said:

Post source pls.

No one is stopping you from wearing a mask
Ag87H2O
AG
Vader Was Framed said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Vader Was Framed said:

Post source pls.

Worth what? And what is 0.5%? And who is you people?

dmart90
AG
The study shows an approximate 2% decrease in COVID rates from wearing masks and a 2% increase in COVID rates from opening restaurants.

Neither is significant. But it's not what the gateway pundit says. It's not a news source.
Magic City Wings
DrEvazanPhD said:

Magic City Wings said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Vader Was Framed said:

Post source pls.

Rocking the KN-95 when out and about to try to not spread anything from everything else I do.
RGLAG85
AG
Magic City Wings said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Vader Was Framed said:

Post source pls.

If you're wondering why this country is so screwed, look no further than this post. Feelz over facts and logic.
Thomas Jefferson: "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
misterguinness
AG
Magic City Wings said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Magic City Wings said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Vader Was Framed said:

Post source pls.

Rocking the KN-95 when out and about to try to not spread anything from everything else I do.
KN-95 Masks Don't Prevent Much
2+2=5
deddog
AG
Magic City Wings said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Magic City Wings said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Vader Was Framed said:

Post source pls.

What?
That's nonsensical.
If you have the China virus, STAY home.
If you don't have the China virus, you aren't "spreading" anything with or without a mask.

Congrats on the virtue signaling though
DrEvazanPhD
Magic City Wings said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Magic City Wings said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Vader Was Framed said:

Post source pls.

If you're not wearing a hazmat suit with your own air supply, you're contributing to the problem. Why do you hate memaw?
Maroon Dawn
AG
Leftists just need an excuse to justify a couple more trillion dollar stimulus packages where 90% of the money goes to DNC politicians and allies
munch96
AG
From the CDC link (https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7010e3.htm)

Quote:

During March 1December 31, 2020, state-issued mask mandates applied in 2,313 (73.6%) of the 3,142 U.S. counties. Mask mandates were associated with a 0.5 percentage point decrease (p = 0.02) in daily COVID-19 case growth rates 120 days after implementation and decreases of 1.1, 1.5, 1.7, and 1.8 percentage points 2140, 4160, 6180, and 81100 days, respectively, after implementation (p<0.01 for all) (Table 1) (Figure). Mask mandates were associated with a 0.7 percentage point decrease (p = 0.03) in daily COVID-19 death growth rates 120 days after implementation and decreases of 1.0, 1.4, 1.6, and 1.9 percentage points 2140, 4160, 6180, and 81100 days, respectively, after implementation (p<0.01 for all). Daily case and death growth rates before implementation of mask mandates were not statistically different from the reference period.

That said, wear a mask if it makes you feel better. If a business requests that you wear a mask and you don't want to, feel free to shop somewhere else. Not a hard concept to grasp....

Edit: new link? https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7010e3.htm

agsalaska
AG
That link is already dead.
munch96
AG
agsalaska said:

FratboyLegend
To be clear, the article isn't about the efficacy of masks, it is about the efficacy of mask mandates.
#CertifiedSIP
YouBet
AG
agsalaska said:

Hilarious. I have the report open right now and will leave it open for those that want to know more. I guess they killed it just a second ago because if I try to open it again it's dead just as you said.

Bottom line of the report:

At 81-100 days after a state wide mask mandate is put in place they show a 1.8% reduction in cases and a 1.9% reduction in deaths.

Specifically for restaurants that allowed on-premise dining, at 81-100 days after opening up they saw an increase in cases of 1.1% and a increase in deaths of 3.0%.
agsalaska
AG
You should copy and paste it. Texags will allow that. Its a public report.
Teslag
AG
Magic City Wings said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Magic City Wings said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Vader Was Framed said:

Post source pls.

Your daily soy intake must be astronomical
DCAggie13y
AG
Magic City Wings said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Vader Was Framed said:

Post source pls.

0.5% is likely within the margin of error for a study like this. I know they claim statistical significance but I work with data and you can manipulate the source data to create a statically significant but practically meaningless result.

In other words, it's very likely that mask mandates have no impact whatsoever on the spread of COVID. It should also be stated that this study looked at mask mandates NOT mask wearing. A proper study would look at actual mask wearing. There are 2 studies I know of that did that and found no measurable impact of mask wearing.

https://www.ormanager.com/briefs/marine-study-shows-covid-19-transmission-despite-public-health-measures-strict-quarantine/

Philip J Fry
AG
dmart90 said:

The study shows an approximate 2% decrease in COVID rates from wearing masks and a 2% increase in COVID rates from opening restaurants.

Neither is significant. But it's not what the gateway pundit says. It's not a news source.

2% is not a statically significant result.
Illuminaggie
That is terrible news. If the masks work, we could probably adapt with minor adjustments... much like the past year.

It looks like the only effective method of fighting the bioweapon is the Aussie/Kiwi route.

DCAggie13y
AG
Here is the Randomized Control Trial on mask wearing. The only one I know of. It was essentially inconclusive and found that mask wearing could reduce cases or increase them by up to 23%.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/m20-6817
DCAggie13y
AG
Illuminaggie said:

That is terrible news. If the masks work, we could probably adapt with minor adjustments... much like the past year.

It looks like the only effective method of fighting the bioweapon is the Aussie/Kiwi route.

Pretty sure social distancing and vaccines are the only things that work. Masks are pretty much worthless as Fauci stated at the very beginning of the pandemic.
YouBet
AG
Attempting to upload a scrolling screen shot of the CDC report:

BuddysBud
AG
From the CDC paper, they plotted the % change of cases & deaths before mask mandates and after. Interestingly the cases begin to decrease prior to the mask mandates, and there is a continuous curve from prior to the mandates that smoothly continues past the mandates, and flattens out at the end of the study time period. If masks make a difference, I would expect a significant notch in the curve (like the Biden votes count in the middle of the night) sometime shortly after the mandates were implemented, and a decrease in cases/deaths shortly thereafter.

The same but opposite should hold true for restaurant closings.

Both curves flattened out after 80-100 days, as if the disease is running its course and not having much effect by masks and restaurant closings.

The CDC report appears to show little, if any correlation to cases/deaths and these extreme measures to prevent transmission. Their recommendations based upon this data appears to be as valid as a Fauci flip-flop.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7010e3.htm#F1_down
DCAggie13y
AG
Another issue with this study is confounding factors for correlation. You already mentioned one which is natural virus progression.

It's also possible that the places without mask mandates had very small case counts so even a handful of new cases cause a relatively large percentage increase. Whereas the places that had mask mandates had a large number of cases and were declining from the peak.

Since this wasn't an RCT, I'm interested in how they were able to control for the many confounding factors in a study like this or if they even attempted it.
dmart90
AG
Right. That's what I said.
waitwhat?
I'm still trying to wrap my head around that report. When they say mask mandates correlated with a 0.5% decrease in the daily case growth rate, does that mean that rather than 1,000 new cases in a given day there was 995?

I simply can't imagine that being something they would trot out as evidence of mandates being necessary.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.