Minimum wage not budget related but HR 1 is?

2,168 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by titan
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've always maintained to disregard what Manchin says and instead watch what he does. But sometimes you do have to listen to what he is and is not saying. This is one of those times. he's open to ditching the Byrd Rule? Or not?

Quote:

This is a big deal if he means it, but it's unclear if he means it. Watch the clip below, noting that Chuck Todd asks him specifically about using reconciliation to pass "election-only bills like H.R. 1." That's the "For the People Act," Democrats' massive voting-rights reform bill, their absolute top legislative priority before the midterms. Right now it looks dead on arrival in the Senate because, like all non-budgetary bills, it's subject to filibuster rules requiring 60 votes for cloture. And there's no way Democrats will find 10 Republican votes to help them get over that hump.
Quote:

Because reconciliation procedures are supposed to apply only to budgetary matters, the Senate parliamentarian would surely rule that reconciliation doesn't apply. But the parliamentarian's opinion is advisory; it can be overruled by the Senate's presiding officer. The question is whether Manchin would be willing to vote yes on a bill under those circumstances. Last month he said he wouldn't, that he'd follow the so-called "Byrd rule" that keeps non-budgetary matters (like raising the minimum wage") out of bills that are subject to reconciliation.
Quote:

Note that Manchin himself never mentions using reconciliation for H.R. 1 in the clip. It's Todd who brings it up. But this would have been a fine opportunity for Manchin to reaffirm his commitment to the Byrd rule and he conspicuously avoids doing so. Is the Dems' voting-rights package suddenly viable?

VIA Hot Air
Ag87H2O
AG
The narrative that Manchin will hold the line on preserving the filibuster is naive. When the chips are all-in and his vote matters he always goes with the Party line vote.

Sounds to me like he's trying to get a few concessions to look moderate to his constituents, but he's going to side with his Party if the Republicans don't give in.

Anyone with a brain knew this would happen.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Besides

If it passes he never has to worry about losing an election ever again as it turns us into a one party China style statist oligarchy
aggiehawg
AG
The pressure to end the filibuster, toss out the Byrd rule on reconciliation being used for everything means the Senate is no longer a deliberative body, it is just as much of mob rules as the House is.

Dangerous precedents being set.
GenericAggie
AG
Manchin rolls for Manchin. The dude is a master politician. He sways in the wind on every policy. It's amazing how his state has turned red and he's still there....
aggiehawg
AG
GenericAggie said:

Manchin rolls for Manchin. The dude is a master politician. He sways in the wind on every policy. It's amazing how his state has turned red and he's still there....
Agree. But it is really scary that one guy has so much power even when he is not in a leadership position.
AggieUSMC
AG
HR1 is a dumpster fire piece of legislation and Manchin knows it. I don't see him rolling on this one.
aggiehawg
AG
AggieUSMC said:

HR1 is a dumpster fire piece of legislation and Manchin knows it. I don't see him rolling on this one.
Then he should have said that today. Why it got my attention. He refused to be categorical about it.
Waffledynamics
AG
This country is doomed if HR1 passes.
aggiehawg
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Yes, it is. I don't understand why so few people here, on Forum 16, aren't screaming to the high heavens about it.
Sq 17
HR 1 might pass next session , if the Ds control the house and pick up a couple of senate seats. The only other legislative thing that will happen is the ACA and infrastructure will be in the next budget and will be passed through reconciliation. Lots of EO's but no legislation
Ag87H2O
AG
aggiehawg said:

The pressure to end the filibuster, toss out the Byrd rule on reconciliation being used for everything means the Senate is no longer a deliberative body, it is just as much of mob rules as the House is.

Dangerous precedents being set.
Indeed. The Democrats flat out don't care about tradition or the rules any longer. Their zeal and determination to advance the left wing agenda has overridden what little sense they had left. They are on a crusade and believe they hold the moral high ground and that takes priority over everything. They also believe they let an opportunity pass with Obama's first two years and then got caught flat footed with Trump.

I do not believe they will let this two year window slip away without using the nuclear option. They will do irreparable damage to our system of government unless cooler heads prevail.
itsyourboypookie
HR 1 is unconstitutional.

Courts will overturn it
jpb1999
AG
I wish they would make a rule that to pass ANYTHiNG takes 75% majority. That would sure slow down gov growth it seems.

Can Texas at least pass such rule?

Is there a downside to this that I'm not seeing?

Spane Bohem

K188Ag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Waffledynamics said:

Yes, it is. I don't understand why so few people here, on Forum 16, aren't screaming to the high heavens about it.
I think it is because HR1 is so bad that we just can't imagine it would ever have a chance of passing. Kind of like Biden getting 80 mill votes.
rgag12
AG
aggiehawg said:

Waffledynamics said:

A) If they put it in budget reconciliation that means that essentially the filibuster is dead. Don't think Dems want to do that.

B) Most of, if not all, of the law would get ruled unconstitutional. Therefore you just opened up Pandora's box in getting rid of the filibuster for nothing (see the nuclear option and how many times that's bitten the Dems in the ass).
geoag58
AG
Waffledynamics said:

This country was doomed when the dimtards and their ccp and Venezuelan allies stole the last election and the senate seats in Georgia. Now we will have bloodshed in this country if hr1 passes!
Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
K188Ag
AG
geoag58 said:

Waffledynamics said:

This country was doomed when the dimtards and their ccp and Venezuelan allies stole the last election and the senate seats in Georgia. Now we will have bloodshed in this country if hr1 passes!
This is probably why they still have the national guard around the capitol.
Slyfox07
AG
itsyourboypookie said:

HR 1 is unconstitutional.

Courts will overturn it

The Obamacare individual mandate was unconstitutional too
titan
S
Waffledynamics said:

Secession of multiple states will be necessary. The elections would not be any better than overseas rigged tyrannies going forward anyway.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
titan
S
K188Ag said:

geoag58 said:

Waffledynamics said:

It is exactly why. Though its interesting that even the Kremlin and Reich Chancellery didn't have to go quite that far. They limited approaching to across the plazas from them.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
geoag58
AG
K188Ag said:

geoag58 said:

Waffledynamics said:

That and drastic gun grab legislation.
Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
aggiehawg
AG
Manchin again.

Quote:

Manchin said that with just a few concessions, it would have been possible to get some Republicans on the COVID relief package that passed the Senate this weekend on a party-line vote. And he said he'll block Biden's next big package $2 trillion to $4 trillion for climate and infrastructure if Republicans aren't included.

"I'm not going to do it through reconciliation," which requires only a simple majority, like the COVID stimulus, Manchin said. "I am not going to get on a bill that cuts them out completely before we start trying."

Asked if he believes it's possible to get 10 Republicans on the infrastructure package, which could yield the 60 votes needed under normal Senate rules, Manchin said: "I sure do."
Manchin said the infrastructure bill can be big as much as $4 trillion as long as it's paid for with tax increases. He said he'll start his bargaining by requiring the package be 100% paid for.

VIA Hot Air
titan
S
aggiehawg said:

Manchin again.

Quote:

Manchin said that with just a few concessions, it would have been possible to get some Republicans on the COVID relief package that passed the Senate this weekend on a party-line vote. And he said he'll block Biden's next big package $2 trillion to $4 trillion for climate and infrastructure if Republicans aren't included.

"I'm not going to do it through reconciliation," which requires only a simple majority, like the COVID stimulus, Manchin said. "I am not going to get on a bill that cuts them out completely before we start trying."

Asked if he believes it's possible to get 10 Republicans on the infrastructure package, which could yield the 60 votes needed under normal Senate rules, Manchin said: "I sure do."
Manchin said the infrastructure bill can be big as much as $4 trillion as long as it's paid for with tax increases. He said he'll start his bargaining by requiring the package be 100% paid for.

VIA Hot Air
Just cancel taxes for 2021. That would be easier to manage and hardly less budget busting.

Need an income cap for national politicians and press. More fiscal responsibility might set in then, if they had to watch balancing the bills again.
FrioAg 00:
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.