California City Bans New Gas Stations

2,755 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Central Committee
Ribeye-Rare
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
More from the 'you can't make this crap up department':
Quote:

In its commitment to becoming carbon neutral by 2030, the city of Petaluma, California in Sonoma County, approximately 39 miles north of San Francisco, has approved a ban on the new construction of gas stations. The first city in the United States to prohibit the expansion of filling stations, specifically those associated with large retail chains, is also banning the addition of new pumps at existing ones.
We Don't Need No Stinkin' Gas Stations

That California power grid running through all them dry trees is just gonna love this if more cities do a 'me too'.

I'll bet commercial retail property values just outside the city limits sign will soar. It reminds me of the situations in East Texas and in parts of the Panhandle with places like County Line Liquors, and State Line Beer and Bait.

Ol_Ag_02
AG
Hah. Let em rot.
Cassius
Why would any business open in Cali? Eventually even tech is not going to be able to carry them.
Trucker 96
Cali might be the most massive gathering of morons in the modern era
PLUM LOCO
AG
So have people waste gas to go buy gas.
Trucker 96
Cassius said:

Why would any business open in Cali? Eventually even tech is not going to be able to carry them.

This is what I keep asking. I work for a Fortune 100, and the combination of ridiculous restrictions and absolutely ridiculous lawsuits we deal with in Cali exceeds the other 49 combined by a factor of 10. I could write a joke book on the things I've seen us sued over in my 16 year career with this company. It would seem like fiction. I do not know how small businesses survive there or why you would even open one
LostInLA07
AG
So they can't build new gas stations. Cant use natural gas in new homes. Also have ridiculous liability laws for electric utilities, so difficult to attract capital and highly expensive to build/maintain transmission and distribution lines. Basically impossible to build any new generation except wind and solar...and even those are limited because wind in particular is ugly and solar uses a lot of land.

They are making any sort of energy highly expensive or impossible. Will be interesting to watch what happens there over the next 10 years.
BigRobSA
LostInLA07 said:

So they can't build new gas stations. Cant use natural gas in new homes. Also have ridiculous liability laws for electric utilities, so difficult to attract capital and highly expensive to build/maintain transmission and distribution lines. Basically impossible to build any new generation except wind and solar...and even those are limited because wind in particular is ugly and solar uses a lot of land.

They are making any sort of energy highly expensive or impossible. Will be interesting to watch what happens there over the next 10 years.

They're pushing the system toward "nationalizing" a lot of industries, obviously.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
Kenneth_2003
AG
Yet on the other side of the coin, the left says we can't reform food stamps because the poor rely on the gas station convenience stores for groceries!
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
Tanya 93
Kenneth_2003 said:

Yet on the other side of the coin, the left says we can't reform food stamps because the poor rely on the gas station convenience stores for groceries!
Those stores would end up carrying the foods that qualify

I can buy fruit, veggies, string cheese, lunchmeat, milk and yogurt, canned veggies, soups, and meat, bbq by the pound, and salads at gas stations now
WoMD
That's so weird. Petaluma is an agrarian/ranching community and always felt small town with a conservative vibe. I can't see all the ranchers switching their work trucks to electric anytime soon. Odd city for this to happen first.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Edit... 5 minute double post...
Showertime at the Bidens

I hate to admit it but I don't blame the city. There is nothing uglier than strip malls and gas stations.
CanyonAg77
AG
Fore Left! said:

BigRobSA
Tanya 93 said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

I can buy fruit, veggies, string cheese, lunchmeat, milk and yogurt, canned veggies, soups, and meat, bbq by the pound, and salads at gas stations now
Kwik Star you can. Love them, they're the sister to Kwik Trip all over MO and not QT (Quit Trip) blowing up in the south.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
doubledog
So no new Buc-ees then?
The Dirty Sock
Carbon neutrality? What are they gonna use when the wind ain't blowing or sun ain't shining? Good feelings?
Tanya 93
BigRobSA said:

Tanya 93 said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

Kwik Star you can. Love them, they're the sister to Kwik Trip all over MO and not QT (Quit Trip) blowing up in the south.
I can do it at Break Time and a couple of Phillip 66's.

Very useful when a tween boy is starving to death between Scout clean ups/projects/camps and theatre practice
annie88
AG
These people are insane. No new gas stations, trying to push towards electric cars, push towards fake meat. These people are just ****ing insane and it's really not funny anymore.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
WoMD
Bidens leg hairs said:

I hate to admit it but I don't blame the city. There is nothing uglier than strip malls and gas stations.

I take it you've never been to Petaluma...
magnumtmp
AG
The Dirty Sock said:

Carbon neutrality? What are they gonna use when the wind ain't blowing or sun ain't shining? Good feelings?

I think the industry standard back up plan is Unicorn farts.
Engine10
AG
Shell TapUp and the other mobile fueling services are gonna do well out there
itsyourboypookie
Cassius said:

Closest ports to China...
APHIS AG
Fore Left! said:

And they keep spreading to other States, especially ours.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

In its commitment to becoming carbon neutral by 2030
Put your money where your mouth is (literally) - stop breathing NOW!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Kozmozag
I bet the current gas station owners approve this law...lol
Gigem314
AG
rocky the dog said:

Burdizzo
AG
All the sudden owning a gas station in Petaluma became much more lucrative

One of the better performing stock I own is a REIT which specializes in convenient stores. When the government throws up a barrier for new competition, it is one mor reason to increase prices for your consumers. Notice, they didn't say "no gas stations". They said said "no NEW gas stations and no NEW pumps"
TxTarpon
Where are people going to get smokes and a 40oz?
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
Central Committee
AG
Fore Left! said:

The problem is that these locusts are spreading rapidly to the Lone Star State, bringing their madness with them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.