Amy Barrett Cowen's first SCOTUS opinion

4,063 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BusterAg
BusterAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Text here: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/19-547_08m1.pdf

My first blush summary:

The EPA passed a rule in 2014. Some organizations wanted more information about the process for creating the rule.

The case is specifically about requests for "draft biological opinions" drafted by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services and the National Marine Fisheries Service that were analyzed by the EPA. The Services internally considered these draft opinions, consulted with the EPA, the EPA rewrote the rule, the Services consulted with the EPA again, and eventually a new rule came out.

The suing organizations asked for those draft opinions that were created by the Services. The 9th Circuit said they could get them. SCOTUS says no.

Here is the boiled down background and holding:

Quote:

Respondent Sierra Club, an environmental organization, submitted requests under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) for records related to the Services' consultations with the EPA. As relevant here, the Services invoked the deliberative process privilege to prevent disclosure of the draft biological opinions analyzing the EPA's 2013 proposed rule. The Sierra Club sued to obtain these withheld documents, and the Ninth Circuit held that the draft biological opinions were not privileged because even though labeled as drafts, the draft opinions represented the Services' final opinion regarding the EPA's 2013 proposed rule.

Held: The deliberative process privilege protects from disclosure under FOIA in-house draft biological opinions that are both predecisional and deliberative, even if the drafts reflect the agencies' last views about a proposal.

In my opinion, you are balancing two issues: government transparency, and the ability of beaurocrats in government agencies to be specific and frank when writing or administering the law. Here, the EPA and the Services were trying to work together to find a rule that they could agree on, through a few iterations. The Sierra Club is saying that those draft opinions should be discoverable, since they were final opinions on a proposed rule.

But, making this kind of interaction discoverable would just make it harder for agencies to work together. If every comment and draft was discoverable, then conversations when the people in charge are deliberating things will sound like mob talk: "You know, what do you think, though, about the guy, and his issue with the thing from the place with the other guy."

The key here is that the documents are held to be "predecisional and deliberative". It's beaurocrats arguing / brainstorming.

Government is better when people that are making the rules can be frank with each other. Agencies can work together better when they can be frank with inter-agency communications.

In all, I think that this is a good decision. Interested in other viewpoints.
SA68AG
AG
Any reversal of a 9th circuit decision is good.
Bryanisbest
AG
Amy Coney Barrett
Layne Staley
AG

She LOVES her some election fraud though.
Stupid@17
AG
Fix your title op
rsemingson
What the hell did she just say in her opinion? Do tell.
BMX Bandit
Layne Staley said:

She LOVES her some election fraud though.

Got her!!!!!
Kozmozag
Beauracrats afraid of there written words if exposed. It should all be available to.the public.
jagvocate
AG
We are a damn republic. Nothing worth doing should be hidden from the electorate. What a deep state RINO she is.
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

Amy Barrett Cowen

Sounds like you are a very close follower of the Court. Which way do you think Ruth Ginsburg Batey would have gone on this?
BMX Bandit
jagvocate said:

We are a damn republic. Nothing worth doing should be hidden from the electorate. What a deep state RINO she is.

Breyer & Sotomayor are the only ones not deep state-rinos it appears
milner79
Bryanisbest said:

Amy Coney Barrett

Supreme Court Justice Sacha Baron Cohen ...
TRADUCTOR
I wanna see the draft Anthropogenic Global Warming opinions...
TexAgs91
AG
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Tanya 93
jagvocate said:

What specifically makes her a deep state RINO.

To me, it appears that for too many on this board over the last 4 years, people are RINOs if they don't vote in favor of Trump
BusterAg
AG
Panama Red said:

Quote:

Amy Barrett Cowen

Sounds like you are a very close follower of the Court. Which way do you think Ruth Ginsburg Batey would have gone on this?
I 100% deserve this ridicule.

But, she's a rookie and I have problems with names of people I don't meet in real life.

I'll get her name right in a few years.
BusterAg
AG
Tanya 93 said:

jagvocate said:

To me, it appears that for too many on this board over the last 4 years, people are RINOs if they don't vote in favor of Trump
She was absolutely a coward for not trying to take up Texas v Pennsylvania.

But, again, she was a rookie.

That doesn't make her a RINO, though.

I'm convinced that there are quite a few posters on here that are plants that take extreme positions on supporting Trump just to make rational conservatives look bad.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

Every justice on the court denied the emergency relief that Texas sought. Even the ones that thought the court had to hear the case, would not have given it expedited hearing meaning it would have been moot after inauguration

Maybe she's not a coward, but just knows the law better than you. That possible?
Tanya 93
BusterAg said:

Tanya 93 said:

jagvocate said:

But, again, she was a rookie.

That doesn't make her a RINO, though.

I'm convinced that there are quite a few posters on here that are plants that take extreme positions on supporting Trump just to make rational conservatives look bad.
What makes her ruling on this cowardly?

If you know this better than she does, and have the same credentials, why weren't you chosen for the SCOTUS?
Post removed:
by user
BusterAg
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Every justice on the court denied the emergency relief that Texas sought. Even the ones that thought the court had to hear the case, would not have given it expedited hearing meaning it would have been moot after inauguration

Maybe she's not a coward, but just knows the law better than you. That possible?
Every justice on the court denied the emergency relief that Texas sought. Even the ones that thought the court had to hear the case, would not have given it expedited hearing meaning it would have been moot after inauguration. It would not be moot after inauguration. We have elections in 2022, and it is apparently impossible to bring a case prior to an election for the issues that were addressed due to lack of standing. But, let's not go back to December. We have hashed this to death.

Maybe she's not a coward - Possible. Not impossible.

But just knows the law better than you. It is impossible for this to be incorrect.
BMX Bandit
Your statement is false & shows you have a misunderstanding of why Texas didn't have standing elections in 2022 are wholly irrelevant to that case

SCOTUS should have explained why there was no standing with a full opinion. The one sentence was a huge disservice to the country.
aggiehawg
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Your statement is false & shows you have a misunderstanding of why Texas didn't have standing

SCOTUS should have explained why there was no standing with a full opinion. The one sentence was a huge disservice to the country.
Putting the actual standing issue aside for a moment, agree there should have been an opinion with precedents cited and a full rationale of the declination of the case. The refusal and failure to do so was an abrogation of duty to clarify an already muddied set of constitutional election law which will only result in the blind trying to legal darts in the future.

Can't sue to stop an illegal procedure before an election. Can't sue after. That Catch-22 must end and only SCOTUS can end it.

They aren't final because they are infallible. They are only infallible because they are final. (For now, at least.) With apologies to Justice Jackson for mangling his quote.

Come on BMX, you know what is happening right now is dangerous. I'm not talking about the 1960s when people were upset with Earl Warren and wanted him impeached, I am talking about very dangerous precedent being set here with mob rules and SCOTUS no longer has a say because they are too intimidated by said mob. The Dems in the House and Senate being the "mob" here. The threats against the personal safety of sitting Supreme Court justices by Majority Leader Schumer, "inciting" "armed action" against Gorsuch and Kavanaugh can not be ignored anymore.

The threats to the Court have only increased since then. Perhaps they won't incite or hire people to assassinate them, maybe they will. Doesn't matter because the threat is the important part. Living in fear is harder than dying. Much harder.
BusterAg
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Your statement is false & shows you have a misunderstanding of why Texas didn't have standing elections in 2022 are wholly irrelevant to that case

We are in agreement here.

I'm not sure what your other issues are, but I'm not really interested in trying to split hairs here, either.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.